Author Topic: Power Questions  (Read 3818 times)

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
Power Questions
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:13:34 AM »
Maybe i should start a new thread for this, feel to free to move.

I have a few power tools i want to send to PI. Most importantly a hammer drill since everything is concrete there. On the to do list is put a vent in bathroom, with not even a window its a very damp place.

But then i remembered the power source is different. Is there a converter that will handle high amp or should i just get the power tools i need in Cebu?
Thanks

Re: Power Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:17:37 AM »
Maybe i should start a new thread for this, feel to free to move.

I have a few power tools i want to send to PI. Most importantly a hammer drill since everything is concrete there. On the to do list is put a vent in bathroom, with not even a window its a very damp place.

But then i remembered the power source is different. Is there a converter that will handle high amp or should i just get the power tools i need in Cebu?
Thanks

If your tools are 110v then you just need a transformer, plenty available. Personally I think it better to buy new 220v tools here. Alternatively you could just employ someone with a hammer and chisel, think cheap labour.

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:25:05 AM »
If your tools are 110v then you just need a transformer, plenty available.

This is true... but I did get rid of some electronics to purchase them locally since they were available here.... it was a mistake... sometimes you win.. sometimes you dont... my Lowell lighting kit for videography costs an arm and a leg here - I would have been better off just shipping it and buying the transformers you asked about...

You may want to price out replacements to decide whats better... a hammer drill will run roughly $100, but I got one onsale here for 1/2 that at ace hardware.

The two types of transformer thingies I use are sold at any local hardware store - price depends on watts. Average $25 for 1000w in 2 varieties.

and
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »

Yes i have already enjoyed cheap labor and i am sure will continue to do so. Though i am a bit of a handy man and do like to tinker from time to time. Since i am sending out a few boxes and probably wont get much for my tools here i thought i would inquire about the power issue. But that is really not a bad price you got there Dylan.

Maybe i will pack them, i am sure someone could use them if i decide to get new.

Nice to know the options, thanks Guys  :) Wich leads me to another topic....

Can you get cheap radio shack type home alarms and motion lites there...or should i ship those items as well?

Sorry to be so needy  ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:58:13 AM »

Can you get cheap radio shack type home alarms and motion lites there...or should i ship those items as well?

Sorry to be so needy  ;)

Yes you can get those items here but I don\'t yet know the price. I will be buying some later when our house is completed. If you don\'t already own them, I would think it better to buy them here even if they are more expensive, because you will again most likely need to add the extra cost of transformers.

Colin

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »

Yes i have already enjoyed cheap labor and i am sure will continue to do so. Though i am a bit of a handy man and do like to tinker from time to time. Since i am sending out a few boxes and probably wont get much for my tools here i thought i would inquire about the power issue. But that is really not a bad price you got there Dylan.

Maybe i will pack them, i am sure someone could use them if i decide to get new.

Nice to know the options, thanks Guys  :) Wich leads me to another topic....

Sorry to be so needy  ;)

The alarm question is something I would also like to know because I have never seen an alarm system there but I am sure there has to be somewhere in the Philippines and everyone cannot depend on broken glass on the tops of walls.  ;D That might also be a good business to go into.  :-\\

As for the tools, you might also wish to buy some bright red tape to label the power cords 110 because even though I knew my cordless drill was 110, I got busy one day and forgot and smoked the charger  :o and could not find another charger anywhere in Cebu or even the parts to fix the one I had. Now all my 110 stuff is marked, but for the most part I try to use 220 tools.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
OK i just went virtual shopping...

i want this for my patio area,     http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1242-40224-solar-motion-activated-50-led-security-floodlight.aspx    maybe run a wire to a buzzer inside.

All kinds of fun stuff here  http://www.homesecuritystore.com/default.aspx

customs would probably rake you over though.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »
For security nothing beats a good old battery backed up electric fence. Just run the wires across the top or near the top where they cannot be seen, first time someone tries it will be the last time someone tries it. 40,000 v at milliamps as a tremendous effect on the desire not to go near it again.

http://www.sureguard.com.au/horse_electric_fence.html

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
He he....cool

That small solar powered one is very slick.

Aswana says a neighbor has an electric fence.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:25:31 PM »
For security nothing beats a good old battery backed up electric fence. Just run the wires across the top or near the top where they cannot be seen, first time someone tries it will be the last time someone tries it. 40,000 v at milliamps as a tremendous effect on the desire not to go near it again.

http://www.sureguard.com.au/horse_electric_fence.html

Wayne   ;D ;D

I have experienced those when I used to fly model aircraft from a farmers field. OK when the grass was long but really nasty when he trimmed it all away from underneath. Not a good location to urinate  ;D

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »
i want this for my patio area,     http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1242-40224-solar-motion-activated-50-led-security-floodlight.aspx    maybe run a wire to a buzzer inside.

I got that same type of solar lighting kit in festival mall in Alabang from a surplus chain called S.O.S.

Its surplus so you cant gurantee what they will have in stock... they had 3 boxes and I got the 2 that were complete for about P2500 for both.

They are great - motion sensor reaches about 20\' and are great for unlit areas - 3 lights in each kit with one led in each... charge during the day and activate at night... montion sensor mode or always on mode. I will try to post a photo after I get some rest.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
The alarm question is something I would also like to know because I have never seen an alarm system there but I am sure there has to be somewhere in the Philippines and everyone cannot depend on broken glass on the tops of walls.  ;D That might also be a good business to go into.  :-\\

Alarm systems can be found at a retail chain similar to radio shack called \"Electronics Botique\"

They even have unnits that dial any telephone number you program into it so you can listen when the motion sensor is activated... now you know who has intruded... That chain is located in some Robinsons malls and Ayala malls. They sell cables, magic sing, telephones, adaptors, etc... Im berring you can get a 220v version of your cordless drill adaptor from them... at least something that has the same voltage output...

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »
Good infoz Brad thanks. I have a hard time following things around here. Just figured out the email alert not to long ago. I will Check out those stores you mentioned but throw a security motion lite in a box from Home depot here.

Hey do you think i could sell this in PI?
Small | Large
(not my video)

No movement here on it. And i would be embraced to have such an expensive toy there. Not to mention i am a grown man  :P. Plus i need it to pay for my new sport, Kite surfing. Hope to be able to check out Boracay once settled and see if i can afford.

Had to give up the mountain biking. There are no trial in that i have been able to find in PI like this
Small | Large
(my video)

I will really miss the mountains....but i have so very much more to gain in PI  ;)