Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Seagulls  (Read 4339 times)

Seagulls
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
After visiting a few beaches in RP I realised what was missing. Seagulls.

In Australia you can\'t open a packet of gum at a beach without being surrounded instantly by flocks of screeching gulls. It\'s even worse in the USA - I was surrounded by gulls with the size and disposition of angry rottweilers at Liberty Island trying to intimidate me into abandoning my lunch, it was like being in an Alfred Hitchcock movie. But on trips to Subic and Guimaras I never saw a single one.

My theory is that they all ended up as sinigang seagull, but maybe someone else has a more scientific explanation.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Seagulls
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
They ate all the seagulls....

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
C\'mon Captain Ron! You are our resident marine expert. I would like an answer too.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
I was serious...
My wife was amazed that the seagulls would come right up to you here on the Oregon coast, and said if they did this in the PI people would be eating them.

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
The only 2 seagulls (flying rats for their correct name) I\'ve seen in RP were in a cage at Alona Tropical....being fattened up for sinigang?.

Actually due to the waste that the US/Europe produces it\'s not surprising at the number of \'gulls we have, they thrive where there\'s excess human waste......never saw as many in Caribbean, Azores, and we know NOTHING goes to waste in the Philippines.

Gulls don\'t stand a chance.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
Seagulls are not indigenous or naturalised Philippine birds.  Check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Birds_of_the_Philippines
for a list of such birds.

old40ford

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:28 AM »
Got to agree with Capt. Ron, in the states just go to the landfill, you can barely move without getting bombed, we call them dump ducks.

john