Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: U.S. versus Philippines  (Read 15498 times)

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
Re: U.S. versus Philippines
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2008, 05:36:17 AM »
it is disquieting to here of these experiences , ive dealt with my PI family ......felt just love.....
†  Wayne hit the nail on the head it is like the wild west.........remember the writer ....................
†  ......i forget his name he said..\'\'go west young man go west!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
†  i must really be in love with the idea of the pI.† i felt hurt by his experiences
..also thanks MR.Moderator...for the mention of a few other places that are far from being a paradise.

Offline Rick

• Sr Member
Re: U.S. versus Philippines
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
I must be missing something here. Why would anyone want to be the only foreigner in a barangay? Why wouldn\'t you want at least some folks around you who have a common culture, common interests and a common language, even if it\'s a second language? I guess we\'re coming from totally different places, but having worked in about 55 different countries, I find it more satisfying to have a nucleus of expats who are coping with the same things that I am.

† †  I happened to be the first one here, if others want to follow me thats fine, if I want to talk with other expats I can go into the city for the weekly get together, or go to the mall and strike up a conversation with one. It\'s not that I avoid expats I just don\'t search them out.

Rick

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
Re: U.S. versus Philippines - Different Strokes
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »
I guess, as always, it all comes down to what you want and/or what you need to make you happy. I came here to work, pure and simple and found a lifestyle that appealed to me. Outside of the work environment, and the time I spend with my wife, I probably spend most of my time with other expats. There\'s no one else here with whom I can talk about wine (a passion), books we\'ve shared and read, and other subjects of interest. This is not to denigrate the country and its culture in any way, but merely an acknowledgment that the culture is different from mine and in many respects I prefer Western culture. I find life here to be, in many respects, a serio-coming soap opera and I don\'t want to immerse myself in it. Admittedly, this is a personal choice that each of us makes. As for me, I do not want to become a part of the community. My lifestyle works for me, and I guess at the end of the day, each of us seeks to create a lifestyle in which he or she feels comfortable and rewarded.