Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: As close to home as we can make it!  (Read 2454 times)

As close to home as we can make it!
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
Yeah, we left a lot back home in California, but this is as close to home as we can make of it here in the Philippines, because we plan to stay here indefinitely where our roots originated in the first place!

Below is our humble little abode with my 1979 \"Little Red\"Toyota Corolla (click on below).
http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,3107.msg23493.html#msg23493! ;D

As you can see, our home is a little fortress! It has wrought iron grills on all the windows and entry doors, glass sliding windows enclosed garage (only one of it\'s kind in our subdivision) and the guard house is just to the right side of us! I sleep very well at night and or during the day time knowing that we are safe! ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: As close to home as we can make it!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:35 AM »
Looks very nice.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:17:29 AM »
I\'ve often wondered, in general ~~WHY~~ an expat,  would live in an area with the need of all the \"SECURITY\" in place to \"feel comfortable\" at home?

Then I find, they ~~don\'t have~~ an armored car and security guards in place when leaving the property to \"feel comfortable\", WHY? When the mass majority of bad things happen off property??

With a subject as, \" As close to home as we can make it!\", apparently the same situation was in place ~~before~~ arriving in the Philippines? If so, I can understand the home front security. The question becomes, WHY leave a Country to another for the same conditions???

Granted, the photo doesn\'t show a MAX Prison as some expats/locals properties I\'ve seen, but a very nice looking lesser type thereof!  ;D

A question arises, is your security bars as such as those to date, say, in the USA? Or are you LOCKED IN from the inside to die? Smoke/co2 kills 99% more then bad people at a home front!

How can you say, \"you sleep comfortable\" if these fore warning systems are not in place 24/7 and working, you didn\'t say?

Is your cooking gas turned off after use? Is the electrical system to the current, (isn\'t around here as claimed), USA standards or Pinoy that\'s good enough standards?

B-Ray Oh yes, a rebel with questions as a cause!    ;D

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
I\'ve often wondered, in general ~~WHY~~ an expat,  would live in an area with the need of all the \"SECURITY\" in place to \"feel comfortable\" at home?

Security here in RP is a bit odd ...

Your local 7-11\'s have armed guards... not because crime is so rampant in the 7-11 but because if they didnt have a guard... it WOULD be a problem  ;D

In the pic we see his shiny HP pc with LCD that can tempt many....  Its probably teh same 7-11 principal...

I know that has prevented me from moving in to MANY properties I actually liked or were closer to friends... when the house is worth less than the contents... people will eventually find out  :P  ;D  :D  ;)
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »
I\'ve often wondered, in general ~WHY~an expat,  would live in an area with the need of all the \"SECURITY\" in place to \"feel comfortable\" at home?
WHY leave a Country to another for the same conditions???
Is your security bars as such as those to date, say, in the USA? Or are you LOCKED IN from the inside to die? Smoke/co2 kills 99% more then bad people at a home front!
How can you say, \"you sleep comfortable\" if these fore warning systems are not in place 24/7 and working, you didn\'t say?
Is your cooking gas turned off after use? Is the electrical system to the current, (isn\'t around here as claimed), USA standards or Pinoy that\'s good enough standards?

B-Ray  a rebel with questions as a cause!

B-Ray,

We have rented apartments and houses prior to having purchased and built our home where we are living in today! Due to our past terrible experiences living in other areas, we were able to plan where and how we wanted our home built as you have seen in my post! That\'s why I said that we are happy where we are living and we don\'t have any worries concerning our well being, welfare and safety! Didn\'t you ever think that all your questions already have been on peoples mind concerning home safety since day one when building their home? Don\'t be a Rebel with a cause! Be a contributor with positive thinking to help those who need assistance or helpful advice!
     Most expats here know what I\'m saying because some have first hand experiences themselves of what I mean and really don\'t have to give a lot of details of the terrible things that goes on in different parts of the Philippines! Better safe than sorry! That\'s about all I have to say, it\'s a pretty much a common sense thing to do in being safe living in a 3rd world country! I\'m only a nick pick when it comes to our safety while living in the Philippines! I know what I\'m talking about, because my wife and I were born here!
       My motto has always been,
\"Que Sera, Sera!\"(What Will Be, Will Be)!
\"Different Strokes for Different Folks!\"

Art      

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »

I\'ve often wondered, in general ~~WHY~~ an expat, would live in an area with the need of all the \"SECURITY\" in place to \"feel comfortable\" at home?

B-Ray Oh yes, a rebel with questions as a cause!    ;D

My my, B-Ray, what strange things you \"often wonder\" about. 

The most expensive homes in the most exclusive areas of the DFW Metroplex have security systems that cost more than the S-Class Mercedes sitting in the circular drive behind the 10 foot wall and gates.  On the other hand, the $200 a month rental homes have little or no security, other than the dog sleeping in the living room.   

So, following your enigmatic wondering to its logical conclusion, all the fat cats need to move out of their mansions so they can get a good nights sleep.  Lordy, don\'t you just wonder why they \"would live in an area with the need of all the \"SECURITY\" in place to \"feel comfortable\" at home?\"

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:50:13 AM »
In my case it is simple, we live in a condo because I like to come home and still find my things intact, I also like to sleep at night knowing that hopefully no one will break in and decide to try to take what is ours and that I have worked my whole life for and possibly take our life in the process. Living behind walls is not necessary in some instances, when you have a big family living all around you to look out for you and your property or when you have actually gotten yourself into a neighborhood where you are totally accepted so that all your neighbors will look out for you but no matter where a person lives, if they make themselves a target by being known to have a lot of cash or other valuables at home or on them, then they may end up a target.

Filipino balikbayans and those of us who stand out such as round eyes can often be targets because of perceived wealth, even when it may be far from true. One guy said that his mother in-law tried to poison him because she felt he would be worth more dead and that her daughter would inherit all his supposed wealth, yet he had only the money he was earning working on line, which was perceived wealth but not actual wealth. Dangers can be all around you when you do not take necessary precautions. Behind walls is just one such precaution.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.