Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Building or buying - any regrets either way?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
Re: Building or buying - any regrets either way?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
As I write this I do know that rather then be in a cold, dark and miserable England I would much rather be in the heat of the Philippines even if it† meant battling a possee of Filipino \'builders\'.
****************************************************************************************************

Well Paul England can be pretty miserable at times, but so can the Philippines when the frustration sets in, believe it!

That being said, I\'m of the same mind set as you as in that \'one day\' it\'ll work out for us to live there. I\'ve only got another 22 years before I retire (or has retirement age been raised to 70 now?!).

I\'m doing my best to semi retire before 45, and maybe skip between Oz and RP to boost the UK 400.00 we clear from our IoM home rental.

We can but dream, eh?!

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 07:28:35 AM »
Colin,

Four months to do a complete build? I have a small prefab home built and it took 6 months just the basic shell, a roof and 4 walls, not including the finishing touches and add-ons like my garage, laundry and TV room, which took an additional 4 months! And the contractors and skilled workers won the bidding for a 3 year contract from the Ayala land developers to build all the basic floor plans for our subdivision! And our home used U.S. standard materials and electrical wiring. Other owners opted out and used their own contractors. Good luck on the 4 months for a complete build!!! That I would really like to see! The house you see on the far left was built by an independent contractor and took 2 years to build and it\'s twice the size of our home! Our simple little house only cost me P3.5 million 10 years ago, it\'s double the price now due to the inflation cost of building materials! That house on the far left cost about P10 million and was just finished last year!
I really didn\'t get to build what I wanted, but it\'ll do! At least my wife is happy with it!!! ;D It\'s all about location, location, location!!! The only thing is, it\'ll cost you a pretty penny per square meters!! At today\'s prices, in our area, it\'s now between P8,000 to P14,000 per square meters just for the land alone!!!!!:D †

Art, I am sorry to disagree with you, but I have information that seems to conflict with yours. I am told that the house you refer to was built many years ago and only recently extended and redesigned. The total time being in the order of 6 months.

The increase in value is due more to the popularity of the location than material costs, although they have also increased.

The cost of land does depend very much on location. If you want to live close to somewhere like Manila you are going to have to pay a premium for it. We bought our second lot here on Palawan, in a very good location, just last year and it cost us P600 per square metre. This was approximately the same price as the first lot we bought the previous year.

Colin

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »
For anyone who does not believe that a house can be built in around four months, then just take a look here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/achouseproject/.

[This Link allowed 1 time only for reference purposes ~ Aerosick / Admin]

This house was completed around three years ago, so the material prices would have increased. The house is similar in size to mine and at time used about thirty workers, we will be doing the same. Maybe our time scales will slip a little, anything can happen in the Philippines, but to talk about many years is being completely unrealistic. I believe that a lot of the the problems that arose in those houses were due to the owners being absent and perhaps attempting something that is way outside the experience of local builders. We are only 20 minutes drive from the site and will have our own independent supervisor checking the progress every day. We employed him to check the quality of materials and build, and because we know that we would have problems if we tried to do it ourselves.

Colin

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 08:01:39 AM »

...such as removing a very large section of a supporting wall that our contractor said not to cut open that large, so I just hope that I will not be sleeping one night and wake up with our bed on top of his.† :o

Lee,

Speaking of load bearing walls....† What is the composition of the interior walls in your units?†

I was curious when you were speaking of removing sections in your unit, but never asked.† Do they build the common walls between units with more substantial material (hollow block?) than for the units interior walls?†

I am familiar with US practices, (condo vs. apt codes, etc.)... but in the Philippines....???

Tom in Big D

Yes, our building is hollow block with a thick coat of cement on both sides of the block. It appears to be quite sturdy to me and there are cross beams as well, so I doubt it would ever come down but I was still not happy when I saw such a large section of his wall removed, yet more than half is still there so it is probably safe.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Colin is correct! A home can be built in 4 months or less, if you have an army battalion of a work force! Has anyone seen on TV, \"Extreme Home Makeovers\"? Well, they can build a complete home in 7 days including all of the finishing touches and they even stocked up the frig with all the goodies!!!! ;D

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »
Some things like concrete take time to harden, but yes it can be done in a very short time frame if you have the workers available. By and large things should be able to be done quickly, if you are pouring concrete for a lot of the house, it can go very quickly and is really dependent on how much of the forms are done prior to pouring. I saw on house in Florida, all walls poured with plumbing and wiring in conduits already inside the walls in 3 days, drop the trusses on and the roof and your done.
Wayne† ;D ;D

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 09:36:23 AM »
Art, I am sorry to disagree with you, but I have information that seems to conflict with yours. I am told that the house you refer to was built many years ago and only recently extended and redesigned. The time being in the order of 6 months. The increase in value is due more to the popularity of the location than material costs, although they have also increased. The cost of land does depend very much on location.

Colin,

So I left out a few of the details! But you didn\'t totally disagree with me either!!! Building materials have increased at least 40% ever since we had our home built 10 yrs ago!!! That in itself makes a big difference in the overall cost of your home when completed!!! I probably know where your source came from too, a certain \"Mr. Know it all\", who\'s nose is as long as his memory! Ha ha ha!!!! >:( ;D

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »
Thanks for the support guys, 3-7 days would be nice but this is the Philippines, plenty of cheap labour, but a sad lack of organising ;) ;D

Colin

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
Home is what you make it to be! But it sure helps when you have deep pockets with plenty of cash in them for what ever purpose or causes! ;D Just give yourselves a pat on the back when you have acquired all the things in life you endeavored having after all the blood, sweat and tears you went through getting there! It\'s really not the material things in life that are important, but what makes you happy, like earning a good living, the love of family, good life long friends, food on the table, \"a roof\" or \"bahay kubo\"(not being too over materialistic) ;D over you and your family\'s heads and good health! That is what makes the difference in being contented with life as we know it where ever we may be on this earth! ;) †There will be milk and cookies after the sermon!
On your way out, I accept donations (in large bills only please)! ;D Just kidding!!!! :D

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
Well, it has just started snowing here in England. I phoned my wife from work and she is so excited - seeing it for the first time! She even forgot to complain about the cold.

There are various TV programmes here featuring house building/renovations, and the one thing they all have in common is that costs will generally go up (never down) and the build time increase. From reading posts here I would be more concerned about build quality than any over run on time.

I wish you luck Colin, you seem to have covered most bases, except the Filipino variants of course. I am sure we will all learn a lot from your coming experiences. Out of interest, how many workers do you expect to have on site to achieve that? And will they be living on site during the working week?

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline uk

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
hi Colin
i have just watched a house (400sq mtr) be built 2 blocks away from mine it took 7 months too complete this included all interior finishes (built in wardrobes and all window blinds) .
there was between 15- 20 builders on this job and 1 very good foreman who was very well organized so there was no standing around waiting for materials.
so i believe it is possible for you too complete the main build in 4 months

good luck and looking forward to seeing photos of the completed house

nearly forgot to say they worked 8am -5pm 6 days a week

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
Well, it has just started snowing here in England. I phoned my wife from work and she is so excited - seeing it for the first time! She even forgot to complain about the cold.

There are various TV programmes here featuring house building/renovations, and the one thing they all have in common is that costs will generally go up (never down) and the build time increase. From reading posts here I would be more concerned about build quality than any over run on time.

I wish you luck Colin, you seem to have covered most bases, except the Filipino variants of course. I am sure we will all learn a lot from your coming experiences. Out of interest, how many workers do you expect to have on site to achieve that? And will they be living on site during the working week?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I remember how Bing got excited when she first saw snow in the UK. I also remember buying her a pair of fur lined calf length boots, the first she had ever had and she was dancing around in them† ;D

The number of workers will vary depending on the demand, but will be from about 10 up to perhaps more than 30. They will go home every night, and we are employing an armed guard to make sure they leave empty handed.† ;D He will also check the materials when they arive and get the builders to sign for them when they need them.

Colin

Offline jryals

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 06:53:50 AM »
We just in to the last stages of a remodel of the house there, right at 2 months and just a slight over buget but not realy enough to cause any ulsers. Now haveing said that did have some problems with workers but the wife didnt have any problem letting them go when she wasnt geting what she wanted so no issue there for me. I,ll be there to see the results soon but the pictures and Skype video I have seen over the net dont think I will be disapointed in any way.
The wife realy came through for us here and it doesnt get any better than that.†
Life can be full of happiness if YOU let it in