Author Topic: Billiards  (Read 3521 times)

Billiards
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »

In fact I have no interest in watching a load of grown up kids kicking around a ball of air. Or even throwing, hitting with various shaped sticks etc  ;) ;D

Colin

I\'m with you, Colin. Football, baseball, soccer, cricket, rugby, basketball, and such other sports do not interest me in the least...... real men shoot pool, 9-ball for money, to be exact... now there\'s a game that will hold your interest, as a moments inattention might lead to your untimely demise. ;D  Besides, you don\'t have to wear a colorful little uniform to shoot pool... if you do, the official rules require that you be shot and dumped in the alley before the game even starts.

Tom in Big D

I am just not the spectator type. In my late teens I learned to fly a glider with the Air Training Corps, but could not pursue that because of the expense, so I later took to racing an OK Dinghy for many years.

This is a real mans sport, but my back would not stand all the hanging over the side with bum in the water ;D

For an indoor game I would prefer snooker on a full size table. Pool is OK if you are short on space, but then again I have never understood the rules.

Colin

Re: Billiards
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »
\"but then again I have never understood the rules.\"

Knocking the balls in a hole, you must be having a joke?  ;D
B-Ray

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »

For an indoor game I would prefer snooker on a full size table. Pool is OK if you are short on space,

Man after my own heart.  The pool hall in Coleman had 8 tables... all 12x6 snooker.  My Dad was the night manager, so I grew up shooting snooker.  I never shot pool until I came to Dallas when I was 17... wow, 8ft tables with huge pockets... it was like cheating. ;D

One of the things I\'ll hate about moving to the RP... saying goodbye to my 9ft Brunswick Gold Crown V... Unless... maybe a chain saw and 20 balikbayan boxes :P

Tom in Big D   
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »
For an indoor game I would prefer snooker on a full size table. Pool is OK if you are short on space,
Man after my own heart.  The pool hall in Coleman had 8 tables... all 12x6 snooker.  My Dad was the night manager, so I grew up shooting snooker.  I never shot pool until I came to Dallas when I was 17... wow, 8ft tables with huge pockets... it was like cheating. ;D
One of the things I\'ll hate about moving to the RP... saying goodbye to my 9ft Brunswick Gold Crown V... Unless... maybe a chain saw and 20 balikbayan boxes :P

Tom in Big D   

Sorry this topic got side tracked about the game of pool!
I too enjoy a game of 8 or 9 ball! I tried snooker (difficult to get them balls in the small pockets) and billiards (the table didn\'t have any pockets), it so bored me to death! :-\\
So, when we get our home renovated, the following will be on my priority list of things to have in my entertainment room; an official size pool table with professional accessories, a bar with stools (stocked bar of course with a frig), reclineable sofas and a big screen TV! The kitchen is in there too, just need a good cook! ;) I may have to hire a good cook because my wife now hates to cook unless she really has to, just for me and herself! :\'(

Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »

I too enjoy a game of 8 or 9 ball! I tried snooker (difficult to get them balls in the small pockets) and billiards (the table didn\'t have any pockets), it so bored me to death! :-\\

A billiard table with no pockets  ??? The billiards that I have played uses a full size 12 x 6 table with the standard 6 pockets. I believe you can play a form of billiards on a pool table, but that still has 6 pockets.

Back to the original topic, the group of islands in the centre of the Philippines are known as the Visayan island, therefore the language must be Visayan with a \'V\' :P ;D

Colin

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
... billiards (the table didn\'t have any pockets), it so bored me to death! :-\\

A billiard table with no pockets  ??? The billiards that I have played uses a full size 12 x 6 table with the standard 6 pockets. I believe you can play a form of billiards on a pool table, but that still has 6 pockets.

Sorry Colin, Art is right on this one.  Billiard tables have no pockets.  My son is an intermediate level 3-cushion billiard tournament player.

Billiards with no pockets was played for a hundred years before pockets were added, and those are properly referred to as \"pocket billiard\" tables.  You can buy pocket blocks to convert a pocket billiard table into a billiard table.  Of course, now most everyone just calls everything \"pool tables.\"

I play pocket billiards because billiards is just waaaaaaaaaay to difficult. 

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

Back to the original topic, the group of islands in the centre of the Philippines are known as the Visayan island, therefore the language must be Visayan with a \'V\' :P ;D

Colin

Colin,

I think they are talking about the game of \"Villiards\"...  ::) :P 8)

Villy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:59:08 AM »
Colin,

I think they are talking about the game of \"Villiards\"...  ::) :P 8)

Villy

That\'s the table where you play the game 8-vall or 9-vall, right?   ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH