Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Clogged Shower Heads etc.  (Read 3631 times)

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
Clogged Shower Heads etc.
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »
Good morning Folks!

I have noticed there is a lot of minerals in the water where i am at and it has clogged up things like the shower heads and as plugged up the hot water shower unit. I know a product back home called CLR would do the trick.

Does anyone know what i could use to dissolve the deposits in Cebu?

Thanks

off to go make myself a cup of 3in1† :-X

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Clogged Shower Heads etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:26:11 AM »
try vinegar or even coke or some mild acid, like the one used for washing concrete, diluted.
Wayne† ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »
I use an electric kettle to heat the water for my shower and it very quickly gets \'scaled\'. I put 1/2 cup of vinegar with 1/2 cup of water bring it to the boil and sit and watch the scale dissolving. Nothing seems to happen if you don\'t heat the mixture, and if it slows down a repeat heat sets it off again.

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
I know a product back home called CLR would do the trick.

ACE hardwars stocks CLR in the Manila area. Keep your fingers crossed for one down there...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
Any mild acid will disolve the calcium crunchies in a showerhead. Just go to your local hardware store and tell them you want to clean minerals off bath tile.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
A shower head is one thing, it can be taken apart and soaked. But a hot water on demand system is different?

What then guys?
B-Ray

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
A shower head is one thing, it can be taken apart and soaked. But a hot water on demand system is different?

What then guys?
B-Ray

Ours in Carcar, Cebu has been in use daily for several people for 10 years now. The only clogging has been in the shower head at the end of the hose. Remove it, clean it + the filter inside, good to go...

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

What then guys?
B-Ray
I think you would need nanobots!
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »
I think you would need nanobots!

They have nano thingies in the new onlione game im beta testing ! I will try some on my showerhead.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
You fellas are a wealth of good info.....what would i do without you(C4 shower head)

So the vinegar worked and even added coke i forgot to drink for good measure. Everything flows now, i took apart the heater and it flows fine.....exept the heater still does not work. I did my wiggle mechanics equipped with only a Phillips screw driver and vice grips. No go. So i will be taking it in to get looked at somewhere.

Its nice just too warm the water a bit, i know most here are fine without it. Even a solar set up would work. I am trying to learn from gal to be economical, she is very careful with water /power etc. which is a good thing.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
I did my wiggle mechanics equipped with only a Phillips screw driver and vice grips. No go. So i will be taking it in to get looked at somewhere.

Gratz on the home made CLR !

When you take that in.. remember - new heaters can be had for 4k and under sometimes at the ACE/Handyman locations...

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 02:47:03 AM »
Throw some black coil pipe up on the roof and hook it into your shower on the hot water line...BAM...instant hot water.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Braddo

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:47 AM »
Alot of people do the same here in Australia for their swimming pools they use what we call lo-density polypipe it is thin wall Tube 19mm or 25mm round mainly used for irrigating the gardens with small sprays, drippers ect.
You get a couple of coils and run along the roof you put in a small circulating pump and this keeps the water from the pool going to the roof and back again to the pool heating the water as it goes it works fine keeping the pool at a temperate temperature even in winter. I am going to do the same in our house in RP for the hot water for the shower it is simple and cost effective

Braddo

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »
Alot of people do the same here in Australia for their swimming pools they use what we call lo-density polypipe it is thin wall Tube 19mm or 25mm round mainly used for irrigating the gardens with small sprays, drippers ect.
You get a couple of coils and run along the roof you put in a small circulating pump and this keeps the water from the pool going to the roof and back again to the pool heating the water as it goes it works fine keeping the pool at a temperate temperature even in winter. I am going to do the same in our house in RP for the hot water for the shower it is simple and cost effective

Braddo

I am planning to add an extra small tank on our water tower, connect a black pipe (hose?) to the bottom, run it half way down the tower then spiral it back up to the top of the tank. This will give a natural gravity flow without any pumps. The tank will† pre heat the water for the house hot water cylinder.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »

I am planning to add an extra small tank on our water tower, connect a black pipe (hose?) to the bottom, run it half way down the tower then spiral it back up to the top of the tank. This will give a natural gravity flow without any pumps. The tank will† pre heat the water for the house hot water cylinder.

Colin,

Are you collecting any rain water in your system. If so, how will you keep it treated? (algae, etc)

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995