Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Out of the Closet! ;-)  (Read 3001 times)

panda

Out of the Closet! ;-)
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:55:32 AM »
Hello every one,
                       my name is Colin but as you already have one Brit by that name, call me \"panda\" I\'ve been sat on the sidelines over at Lip3 and here for some time, years in fact  gleaning much useful information so thought it about time I joined in officially with you folks and our shared interest in the Philippines.

Thanks to all the contributors that have made this such an interesting place to come, it really is much appreciated.

I am a 62 year old male, born and bred in South London, now living on the south coast of Sussex. An electrical engineer but now retired. Divorced repeatedly (an expensive habit I am desperately trying to give up) so single for the foreseeable future ;D , I have two grown up daughters that have long since flown the nest. During my early years of my career I got to travel extensively to many European, Scandinavian, African countries plus trips to the USSR as it was then, but never ever got a chance to see any of Asia.

My last working years were spent with a local Health Authority, from which I took early retirement a few years ago. Having never managed to shake the wander lust that my early travels gave me and I have for a long time now had a hankering to explore Asia, the thought of all those long haul flights does not appeal to me at all, nor the cost of the same from the UK, so it was logical for me to pick somewhere pretty central in the Asian/Pacific basin to base myself, where better than the Philippines a big plus is that English is spoken fairly widely (I am useless at languages) But the more I have read and understood the more it has turned from being a base camp from which to set out to explore to being a place that I could possibly call home.

Well this is probably the year that I pack my bags and take an extended look around an see what/where and how I can make all the pieces fit, so please  keep on posting you are my homework.

Regards Panda

Rick B

Re: Out of the Closet! ;-)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
Colin (panda)

to be honest long haul flights are......well, a pain in the whatsit, and you either do it or you don\'t up to you, me i grin and get on with it, but i am 10 years younger than you, so, maybe easy for me.....wouldn\'t change it for anything i love it here, come and see, be brave........................it\'s all in the mind, well maybe..

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 09:42:56 AM »
The nice thing about living here permanently is that you can avoid most long haul flights, since there\'s no need to return to your old home and most SE Asian destinations are within a short hop. I\'m going back to the States for the first time in 4.5 years in a couple of months and I\'m not looking forward to the journey. For me, the lesson learned is that if you adapt to living here, and you get to the point where most if not all of your needs are met here, there\'s no need to travel on the long trips.. My technique for coping with the latter is to pop a couple of strong sleeping pills a couple of hours into the flight and to sleep for the entire middle third or so of the journey. It\'s sort of like breaking the trip into two shorter segments with a long nap in between. :o

panda

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:25:24 AM »
Colin (panda)

to be honest long haul flights are......well, a pain in the whatsit, and you either do it or you don\'t up to you, me i grin and get on with it, but i am 10 years younger than you, so, maybe easy for me.....wouldn\'t change it for anything i love it here, come and see, be brave........................it\'s all in the mind, well maybe..

Thanks for the encouragement Rick B

cliff

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
rick is right what he says you need to get out there to see what all off us see yes you are right about the long haul flights but the sooner you get there your new life will start you are in for a treat