Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Solar hot water heaters  (Read 5567 times)

Solar hot water heaters
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:46:13 AM »
What is the ball park price of a solar hot water heater plus installation in the Philippines?† In new home construction would pre-wiring the house and adding solar heater later be an option, if so what would be cost to pre-wire? Is there such a thing as a solar heater backed up with electic, so when there is no sun you would have hot water?† Thanks

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Solar hot water heaters
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:27:23 AM »
Hot water in private residences in the Philippines is like Blue Ray disk RECORDERS in USA...

Very few have them -

But I like your idea of having a backup. I never thought about that one.

Larger construction supply stores carry these full tank water heaters that could easily be switched on only when you feel the sun will not shine that day.

The last place I saw one was WILON or WILCOX construction supply... about a local version of the LOWES or HOME DEPOT chain from USA.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:56 AM »
I did see a solar heaters in a local store, cant remember the price, and a member of another forum does have one installed. I have seen the rooftop variety installed on houses in Ayala Alabang.† This type with evacuated tubes etc could be overkill for the amount of sun you get in the Philippines. The other thing to consider is that most Filipinos, and this will include maids that you employ, are used to and prefer to wash in cold water. The most common washing machines here do not heat the water.

My plan is to install a second water tank on the water tower with a length of piping wrapped around the tower. This will be used to preheat the water supply to a central hot water cylinder, the type fitted with immersion heaters. These are available in various sizes in most hardware stores. This should supply enough heat to rarely use electricity for heating.

Most people here tend to avoid this complication by installing individual, on demand water heater where required.

Colin

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:33:28 AM »
Folks,

Sound to be a good industry to get involved with since hardly no company sells it yet.
 There are few companies in Manila offering this though
not too many people use.† Price might be the big issue.
When I was in Coron in Nov 09 I was told that it cost 300 thousand pesos to be able to set up a system
that can run your house consumption in time of brown out. Generator might be cheaper.
There are instructions in the internet selling for around $50 and saying you can build your own solar power
source for around $200.
Sound good but I have not tried it yet.
HOw comlicated or expensive it is to convert a 120 to 220 power generators?

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 03:52:10 AM »
Could be a fair industry to get into.
Search the forum for \"solar\" and read the threads that come up.
There are a few with several links to what you might be looking for.

An inexpensive water heater could be built and installed for peanuts...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:32 AM »
When I was in Coron in Nov 09 I was told that it cost 300 thousand pesos to be able to set up a system
that can run your house consumption in time of brown out. Generator might be cheaper.

That is what I find also. I havent jumped into Solar as a hobby yet but its on my \"to do\" list. From what I see is the 300k of solar panels simply keep a standby battery charged and in a brownout you just live off that battery until it runs out...

My goal is to have something that just uses collected sun/solar energy \"on the fly\"...

as in solar panels directly connected to every fan in my house - like the \"solar gable fans\" sold at Lowes in USA...

So far I just have 6 solar security lights - and they are nice.... but... real-time consumption (coupled with a backup battery) would be nice...

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:51:44 AM »
If one could get ahold of some golfcart batteries or ever better a used electric forklift battery, you\'d have a larger storage capacity and be able to keep the lights on for weeks. You could keep a trickle charge going with some small panels, a small wind turbine and a water turbine( if available water source) and once the power comes back on the grid would bring ya back to full power.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:32:15 AM »
One of these in every room should do it...
Now I just have to figure out what to do with the unsightly metal frame...

about $250 at Home Depot and Lowes in USA

For water heating I have been thinking about the flat roof panels that collect water in a series of tubes... im guessing about 50 gallons just sit there in teh sun for heating...

Then as you use it new water passes through to be heated as well. Fun project and low price... Low.. Im guessing under $200 for a DIY passive heating system.... multiply x6 for an out of the box unit.... easy to build...

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:45:44 AM »
You forgot the pic or the link ???
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »
You forgot the pic or the link ???

You must have seen my \'rough draft\' post... sometimes I edit about 1/2 dozen times immediately after posting to correct the problems caused by brain malfunctions†  :P

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:05:48 AM »
Heating water is simple and inexpensive, there are plenty of links on the internet explaining how to do it. Generating electricity is a different matter, expensive until the price of solar panels comes down. If you are trying to cover brown outs, which fortunately are not too often, then a small generator to cover the essentials would be adequate. At the moment, making your house energy efficient and learning to live without too much aircon etc is probably the best answer.

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »
I\'ve been waiting for the price of solar panels to come down since around 1984...

they did come down some

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
I saw a simple system before somewhere on the net.. From memory is was black hose that went up and down the grooves in a couple of pieces of G.I roofing and the lot was painted matt black..I would imagine that this was fed to a mixer tap in the bathroom?

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
Try a search for \"solar paint\", (without the quotes), and see how that\'s developing.
B-Ray

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »
One of these in every room should do it...
Now I just have to figure out what to do with the unsightly metal frame...

Put a low profile tire on it....will look like spinners† ;)