Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: A wee hiccup with the land purchase  (Read 3074 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
A wee hiccup with the land purchase
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
I read all the postings,.. made sure the land was safe to buy,.. took my time,.. but still there\'s a wee hitch arising with the papers for our land in Cebu provinces. More to do with the lawyer than anything else. Its not a huge problem, but one I\'d like to sort out now, rather than leaving it till later as my wife suggests.† So I\'m calling on some of the more experienced members,.. would you be so kind as to pm me and I will forward the details and see if you might be able to help shine some light on the matter ? I know its a forum, but I would like to talk it through in private if the mods will allow me,.. then give the results when its cleared up. Would that be ok† ??

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: A wee hiccup with the land purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »
PM sent... Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »
Maybe this could be a word of warning to others like myself who don\'t full understand the workings of a clean title for any land you may want to buy. A big thanks to Billy, ( Aerosick) for his advise and step by step quide on how to identify any certificates etc that you are shown. Seems like I have to do more homework to set my mind at ease and get more paperwork done to gain this clear title. Don\'t worry, I haven\'t lost any big money, I was thinking I had the rights to a plot of land when indeed all I have is a declaration from a lawyer stating the previous owner has vaived their rights to itand signed it over to my Wife. Hey-ho,...life goes on,... haha

Thanks again Billy, good advise and very very helpfull,...

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Re: A wee hiccup with the land purchase [general responce]
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
Verifying a title shown or a copy thereof.

A MUST DO from my POV, (bought 5 properties).

Attorney\'s Office will rarely do that. Ours did and save much time and trouble and we learned.

Doing your own Legal-Ad work is your best bet! And FIRING an Attorney might be needed for your own mental health?

Go to the local assessors Office with the description of the property, property number most helpful!

Then get from there the title number. Then go to the local R.O.D, (Register of Deeds), and get a copy of the true title.

Now, you know who and how many are title holders and if the property in mortgaged and by whom.† ;D
B-Ray

Maybe this could be a word of warning to others like myself who don\'t full understand the workings of a clean title for any land you may want to buy. A big thanks to Billy, ( Aerosick) for his advise and step by step quide on how to identify any certificates etc that you are shown. Seems like I have to do more homework to set my mind at ease and get more paperwork done to gain this clear title. Don\'t worry, I haven\'t lost any big money, I was thinking I had the rights to a plot of land when indeed all I have is a declaration from a lawyer stating the previous owner has vaived their rights to itand signed it over to my Wife. Hey-ho,...life goes on,... haha

Thanks again Billy, good advise and very very helpfull,...

Jonny

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:21:59 AM »
Our Filipino cousin bought two adjacent plots of land in the PI, with a big house on. It wasn\'t until the attorney and lawyer and all were about to finalise the deal that an aunty had a nose at things and realised they were buying the plot behind her house, not the one it was built on! Some clown had got the numbers down wrong.† :o

And to think they paid good money to the lawyery type people to make sure everything was dead on!

Of course they just laughed it off, hahaha, silly us.....† ::)

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »
Unless your hooked up with a Filipina, (married or not), that ~~WILL NOT~~ take any BS from her people, (RARE??), and do the legwork herself regardless what time/effort, run-a-rounds, money spent it takes, as my wife learned..................your at the hands of an Pinoy Attorney!

Finding a GOOD ONE and their out there, you just might find yourself between a rock and a hard place, IMO!

#!- NEVER trust a sellers attorney..............PERIOD!! Been there, done that with our 1st buy back in 04. Their attorney will not put their......you know what....in a ringer, but will just smile with what the seller tells you in getting your money by WHATEVER means!

That seems common..................... even between their own people, let alone foreigners.

Our 1st buy after getting our own attorney went smoothly. Yet she ran the seller around with the legal stuff and a new sales contract was written! The 2nd and 3rd buy took 2 years to get a title because of the local BIR Office.

The 4th buy has been with the National Home RP Government Agency forecloser and it\'s been 2 years without the title even paid for in cash.

The 5th also with the NHM Agency but my wife mortgaged it with NHM for 15 years and now 1.5 years later, remolded and rented, NO WORD where to make the payments.

Apparently, it doesn\'t matter if a foreigner or a local RP Citizen, buying property is a big hassle, with more twist and turns, ins and outs that even a lot of attorneys do not handle!! We know of Pinoys, from a Pinoy that bought property behind us that CAN NOT get a title!!! The seller WASN\'T the owner, but a family member.

Hopefully, what we have gone through in the last 6 years will be helpful for others.

The problem with most foreigners believe things will be QUICK, FAST and in a HURRY, regardless what they are dealing with!

Beware, learn and then kick back and roll with the punches is all I can say.
B-Ray† † † † † †  

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
As far as I,m concerned, this case is now closed for me ! I\'ve kinda given up the idea of \"owning \" the house with my wife.
I look at it now as a nice gift to my wife\'s mum who we allowed to live in it till our time comes to live there.
But,.... even that has its problems now,.. in fact I\'m seeing problems appearing one after another over the last few months regarding the house and family.
I just found out that my wife\'s sisters who are living there too have been causing quite a bit of trouble with the nieghbors, arguing, name calling, .. to the extent that someone threw a stone through one of the windows and smashed it. I never got to know that till a few weeks ago.
Now my wife\'s aunts are hinting that it wasn\'t a good idea to let them move in to the house and maybe now we could send some money over to repair my wife\'s grannies house as it is starting to fall to bits. As well as being heavy with child, my wife\'s hormones are playing up big time,.. she was brought up from an early age by her Granny, not her Mum, and feels obliged to help her as her adoptive Mum. I know she gives her Granny quite a bit of money to help her out when we visit them, but she never wants it or asks for it as she has mostly all she wants from life at the age of late 80\'s.
I think there\'s a lot of in-family jealosy involved here, and I just can\'t be bothered with it all. Thank goodness it wasn\'t a huge amount to buy the land and house, but its still going to be there for my wife should she decide to return one day,.. way off in the future. Till then,... the case is closed !!!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »
Sorry to hear of such problems with family members!!

This situation may or may not be common, but very possible, from my evaluation over time!

Your heart felt desire to help family as a foreigner, may have gone by the wayside, regardless of your cost??

The mentality, maybe the education regarding logic/reasoning,† wasn\'t considered when your quest to help was started??

Most likely, such finding that you have found in this situation is always after the fact?

From my POV, you can take credit for trying your best to improve conditions from where they were, IE: family members.

Now, your OUT of the PICTURE as a foreigner, IMO!!

In other worlds, ~~WHATEVER~~ you have done, is now out of your hands, with what the family members must deal with!

If they have problems with locals, ~~THAT\'S~~ their problem, not yours..................PERIOD!!!
B-Ray† † †

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
.... she was brought up from an early age by her Granny, not her Mum, and feels obliged to help her as her adoptive Mum. I know she gives her Granny quite a bit of money to help her out when we visit them, but she never wants it or asks for it as she has mostly all she wants from life at the age of late 80\'s.
I think there\'s a lot of in-family jealosy involved here, and I just can\'t be bothered with it all. ...
I long ago gave up trying to work out who had raised whom in my wifes extended family. My wife grew up with her auntie mainly, her nephew grew up with my wifes mum, there are people not even from her real family who are treated as sisters and brothers,† and on and on the list of swapped children goes. it does seem to be the norm to farm out children to whichever family members has the best support system at the time.

I once tried to arrange a house for my wifes mum and her sister, when my wife and I left for England in \'02, but even before they\'d moved in they were falling out over who would be in charge of what part of the house etc.

Then the† mum came to the UK to live with us in England, for four long years, but she and my wife argued on almost a daily basis, so I sent her back, last November.† She will probably live with us when we get set up in Angeles soon, and I am dreading it.† :o

Nowadays I pretty much keep my nose out of who does what with which family member, and who is fighting over what.

I\'d love to build our own place, like Colin is doing, but the sheer stress involved in keeping tags on who was doing what, and who was in charge of what, would probably kill me. The mum would invariably take over as soon as I was out of line of sight.† ;D :D

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »

I\'d love to build our own place, like Colin is doing, but the sheer stress involved in keeping tags on who was doing what, and who was in charge of what, would probably kill me. The mum would invariably take over as soon as I was out of line of sight.† ;D :D

Then do what I am doing and have a section of the house that is private. This may not be the norm in the Philippines, but they will have enough space to keep them happy. This is also better than deliberately living a long way away to make it difficult for them to visit.

Colin

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
Yes...
The \"Bawal Pumasok\" room is a must. ;D ;D ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:26:06 AM »
Then do what I am doing and have a section of the house that is private. This may not be the norm in the Philippines, but they will have enough space to keep them happy. This is also better than deliberately living a long way away to make it difficult for them to visit.

Colin
She can have a private area of the house we\'re going to rent: the maids room!†  :D :D :D :D