Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Shipping building materials  (Read 1413 times)

Offline tennesseevolunteer

• Sr Member
Shipping building materials
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
Today I was talking with a kano and Filipino couple about building in the Philippines. She was telling me they have already bought so much for their new home to ship then I spoke with him later and asked if he has found a shipper. WOW he told me it had been a couple of years since he had priced but it would be around $12,000.00 fully insured. I asked him if they had inquired about the additional tariffs that probably would be charged upon the container arriving in the Philippines. I mention this forum and all the others that had gone before us and their experiences and recomended him to seek out more advise before shipping.

I have mention before we would ship our household items but now I am planning on doing more research when we visit the next time. This way I can compare prices. If it is cheaper to buy and replace we may go that way but if the cost is so much greater† I will ship as much as possible in our one time shipping option on returning Filipinos.
I am dreaming so much of returning right now. We spoke to our family last night and every time we spoke to different child they asked when is Tito Richard coming home, my wife got a little jealous

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
Re: Shipping building materials
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
Tenn,

I have done my research and inquiries last year about June or July. I found out that cost is about $4,000 to 5,000
for shipping and handling plus packing and crating cost for† a 40 foot container. Add custom duties and the stress
of dealing with the broker and customs people there will be too much for me. Do what I deed and then decide
if I make sense.
I check the prices of major items I will need to buy there. Fridge,aircon, washer and dryer, furnitures, flat screen TV etc. I decided not to ship and just buy them when I† get there. Prices of these are lower or about the same.
Just in my H O. Good luck

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Shipping building materials
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
I have mention before we would ship our household items but now I am planning on doing more research when we visit the next time.

It may be good to write down local prices for the items you are considering.

That can help you decide to ship your current item or buy new ones...

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D