Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Alternative building methods  (Read 2824 times)

Offline woodman13

Alternative building methods
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:22:48 PM »
I have done lots of research into using alternative building materials in the USÖhave any of you looked at building using shipping containers, papercrete or other alternate building methods in the Philippines. I would think the shipping container house method would be very desirable due to the easy and swiftness you can build and the low cost and durability that go along with it. It is easy to build a 2240 SQFT (4 40í containers) house in a short period of time that is strong and cheap. I currently have several 40í containers I have bought for $1000-1200 locally that I use around my ranch in Texas. Covers those with papercrete and they look nice and are insulated at a rate of 2.5 R per inch of papercrete.† Papercrete is a strong, durable, low cost method of making bricks and stucco type covering that I would think would be a good choice for building in a remote area.
Has anyone used or have experience with this in the Philippines? I would assume 20-40í shipping containers can be easily bought locally.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Alternative building methods
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
There was quite a discussion along these lines about 2 years ago......

Offline woodman13

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
I am assuming these are achived. I am suprised that more people are not attracted to building with shipping containers or papercrete considering how cheap it is per square foot.

I build a barn out of 2 40\' shipping containers 30\' apart and put a steel roof between them and enclosed the ends. I had it finished in a few weeks and it has dry storage and open storage and was less that $4000, the same barn would have cost me $8000 out of steel and took longer to build.

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
I am assuming these are achived. I am suprised that more people are not attracted to building with shipping containers or papercrete considering how cheap it is per square foot.

I build a barn out of 2 40\' shipping containers 30\' apart and put a steel roof between them and enclosed the ends. I had it finished in a few weeks and it has dry storage and open storage and was less that $4000, the same barn would have cost me $8000 out of steel and took longer to build.

Not archived but go to page 6 of this grouping \"Building in the Philippines\" and work your way backwards......there\'s dome housing and other alternative building methods........

Where you build will be important in getting the building permit ........a rural/proveincial township will probably be more co-operative than an urbanised township \"set in their ways\" of how things NEED to be done

Offline woodman13

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
Thanks...good to know.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
Is see more views then replies on this subject.

Maybe we have more city boys then country around des her parts???†  ::)
B-Ray

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:40:23 AM »
I would be very interested also using 20-40ft containers. Are they
easy to find and buy in the Phils?
Anybody know?
Rudy

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:44:12 AM »
Check with local shipping companies or building supply companies in your area.......

I used to buy them when I was itinerant boat repairer along US east coast for a workshop......$200 would buy one that was no longer servicable for ocean transport ie minor leaks.....dunno about price in Philippines but will ask Glorias\'s cousin....

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
I would be very interested also using 20-40ft containers. Are they
easy to find and buy in the Phils?
Anybody know?
Rudy

Rudy,

I\'m in Cagayan de Oro (CdO), Mindanao. There is a place I pass almost everyday that sells all types of containers. Won\'t help you if your not coming to CdO, but it does show you that containers are available. I could find out a price for you if you want, but I suspect that the prices would be different in various parts of the country.

Graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
They SHOULD be available near all major city\'s docks.......I know Cebu ferry terminal is surrounded by a dozen or more places with them......

ALWAYS get a DELIVERED to your SITE price, or they\'ll nickel and dime to to death, ferry, driver, etc etc