Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: ..  (Read 7054 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:59:04 AM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:34:28 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
Re: What do you think my chances of .......
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »

75% no problem x 25% problem If you miss declare the goods and customs does an inspection they will seize the goods from you

Why do you not just import them legally you will be required to pay duty rate plus 12% vat on the CIF price to Manila

Call the BOC and ask them the duty rate on solar panels

They will also tell you how to import the goods legally

Best Regards

Tom / Roxas City

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Shipping in a couple of pallets of solar panels are?

I have been dreaming about that for ages... all this WASTED sunlight here... and plenty of roof space...

Found this nice 45 watt kit for $240 USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882260007

Enough to maybe power a laptop .... or something small like a room fan or a light...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »
Try this.
http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm

Wow thanks !

A link on that page included COMPLETE KITS - and about $4k USD for enough power for an AC unit !

Then I can have non-stop AC forever for a one time fee... will easily pay for itself in less than 3 years !

Well - if solar I will run the AC 24/7 so Im thinking it will pay for itself in about 1 year  ;D
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
A smaller solar kit would be enough to charge a 12V battery setup and you could run lights or a car stereo off that. And as simple as it sounds(without going into details), you could be happy for days on a power outage such as after a typhoon.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
My major concern is that I will ship in a few pallets of solar panels and they will be \"held hostage\" at the port until I either pay a huge tax or lose them through confiscation.

I\'ve priced panels in the RP.  The prices quoted are un-realistic.  Absurd.  Triple and quadruple of what the panel actually can be had for.

That leads me to believe that there is some sort of shenanigans taking place in Customs.

They are higher here because there is very little competition and unseen expenses caused by Shenanigans

Shenanigans (corruption) is here and well but you have chosen to retire in one of the most corrupt countries in the world

The standard custom line is they are going to re-evaluate the shipment this happens after you have already paid all of the importation charges

Then you will get a call saying the new charges for duty are 300,000 piso extra with receipt or 100,000 no receipt this works so good that the have shared this concept with the BIR also

If you try and contest the new customs charges  they will charge you wharfage until the case is resolved figure about 9-12 months which will exceed the 100,000 piso that they are asking for

I know I have played this game several times already the locals call it dancing with crocodiles

Welcome to Paradise

Best regards

Tom / Roxas City

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »
If you try and contest the new customs charges  they will charge you wharfage until the case is resolved figure about 9-12 months which will exceed the 100,000 piso that they are asking for

Solar panels? What solar panels???

Those are just stained glass panels that im going to install near my altar... in that little dark room in my house....  ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »
Most everything could be shipped BBox and sent without a lot of the hassles.
Even smaller panels could be sent, then assembled later on site.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 04:12:52 AM »
Here are a couple sources I had bookmarked

http://www.mrsolar.com/content/solar-panels.php

http://www.siliconsolar.com/solar-panels.html

With some high output LED\'s and deep cycle batteries(like a couple golf cart type), a house could be lighted with a few small panels and maybe even backed up by an on-grid trickle charger.
A setup like this could be done very inexpensively. Granted it won\'t power a whole house stuffed with a foreigners gotta haves, but it could provide light and information/entertainment(such as a 12v car stereo/CD) in times of blackout or disaster related outages to small homes or a BRGY town shelter.

And most of this stuff would easily fit in a BBox
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:33:06 AM »
That is my next research direction.

Just remember B-Boxes have no weight limit - I would suggest putting anything important in a wooden frame/crate before packing it into those boxes...

I sent a 6\' electronic piano in a U-Haul wardrobe box cut down to size surrounded by bubble wrap (about 9\" of wrap\" - it needed a few minor repairs from getting knocked around and lack of crating material.

Standard 3\' x 3\' boxes are roughly $100 each to send... you pay by volume - so that piano costed $150 to send (it was thin). Crating material is the key since you get unlimited weight.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:57:32 AM »
Just remember B-Boxes have no weight limit - I would suggest putting anything important in a wooden frame/crate before packing it into those boxes...
And remember... Strapping tape is your friend ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline cesarsjewels

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »
http://magazine-directory.com/Mother-Earth-News.htm
Mother has an article this issue on thin solar film

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:32:08 AM »
http://magazine-directory.com/Mother-Earth-News.htm
Mother has an article this issue on thin solar film

I forgot all about that magazine and its recycled pages of thick paper ! - the family had a subscription to it when I was a kid so I took a look at your links...

Nice and easy to follow !

Thanks

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
Japan just gave the Philippines over 13 BILLION peso to help develop solar power !

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,3477.0.html

Finally - they realize they have been wasting all this free power !

But do they realy need 13 BILLION to outfit one facility... lets hope that place starts cranking out solar panels for public use !

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »
I hope they do build panels for public use and not end up squandering the money...time will tell.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS