Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: ..  (Read 7030 times)

Offline tennesseevolunteer

• Sr Member
Re: What do you think my chances of .......
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:59:41 AM »
I have thought so much about solar power my head hurts. A guy has system on ebay that would be perfect for my new home but getting it there would be the bigggggggg problem. This is used but has everything you need such as enough panels to produce electric power, all the control panels, plenty of deep cell batteries and converter that converts to 220 or 110. The catch you have to disassembled every† thing cart up and ship SOMEWHERE.

The solar water heater I am making one at this moment form my home here and will build one in the Philippines for our new home.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11:16 AM »
A water heater could easily be made from stuff found anywhere in the Philippines.
The electrical panels would definitely have to be shipped in.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline nadine

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
just a suggestion...windmill is very good source of power also..i have seen it myself and even had gone to their vestas factory in europe...if there is any that you think i could be of help about this i am willing to be one among you here...thanks

Offline ibew_intrinsic

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
just a suggestion...windmill is very good source of power also..i have seen it myself and even had gone to their vestas factory in europe...if there is any that you think i could be of help about this i am willing to be one among you here...thanks
Welcome to the group!

mark

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 11:26:53 PM »
Wind turbines, micro-hydroelectric units, solar panels for heat and electricity, bio-digesters... all viable, renewable forms of power generation.† The technology exists, the only problem is getting the necessary hardware in place for a nominal cost.† I\'ve researched many RP suppliers in the past, but I\'m certain that by now that list is outdated and many of them may no longer be in business.† Others are just too expensive.†  

Why don\'t we all put together a listing of good sources for renewable energy products?† I\'ll start a new topic for this, along with some basic guidelines for the list.† I think they should be places we\'ve actually used or have good knowledge of so we don\'t lead each other astray.

I firmly believe we should all practice renewable energy use in some form.† As for myself, I plan to use everything I can to become energy self-sufficient, using all the technology I can afford.† The good thing is that many alternative forms of energy generation can be made from easily obtainable materials and require minimal upkeep.† I know a couple of you are already practicing one or more forms of alternative/renewable energy.† Please, share with all of us what you\'ve learned.†

I look forward to putting together a good source of information for others to learn from as they find the need or opportunity to engage in some form of renewable energy production.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »
Best bang for the buck solar panels I\'ve found so far, and that includes wholesalers that were a good deal in California.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/

(commercial reference deleted by admin)

When comparing prices you want to use $ per rated watt.

I had no problem shipping \"sensitive\" equipment crated and lined with 1\" styrofoam. The crates were made out of 1\"x3\", 1\"x2\", and 1/2\" plywood with 100+ screws on the only part that opens. The remaining sides were glued AND screwed.

All items shipped through a balikbayan box shipping company and were declared as \"household goods\" by the freight company. Weight is irrelevant and they just charge by the cu foot/cu inch compared to a balikbayan box.

I shipped 9 over size crates and 7 large balikbayan boxes for around $1200.
It took longer than expected to get here, but there was no damage at all, and even the boxes were in good condition on arrival. I think I got a killer deal!! The key is packing things very well and tight so there is no movement whatsoever in the box/crate. All of my boxes were HEAVILY reinforced with stranded packing tape, and the ones that were really heavy were double lined with heavy cardboard. The freight company strapped all the boxes too free of charge. Boxes, cardboard, tape, wood ,and styrofoam are cheap compared to the contents!

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
Calculating the Payback Period for a Photovoltaic System

http://energybible.com/solar_energy/calculating_payback.html

Offline JHunt

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
Anyone here on the forum ever build that solar hot water unit?† I believe you could cut costs even more by using black polyethylene pipe instead of copper tubing.† My brother in Colorado heats (warms) his pool using a couple hundred feet of 1\" poly.† I have used \'solar\' hot water showers in the woods on backpacking trips for 25 years.† Just thinking out loud...copper is usually quite expensive.
Jim :)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 12:20:16 AM »
Just thinking out loud...copper is usually quite expensive.

Copper can and will be \"liberated\" quite often by any number of enterprising thieves.† Just ask Meralco, Bayantel, PLDT et al about the problems they have with copper wire being stolen and sold as \"scrap\".
Go poly...
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 01:23:04 AM »
Copper has the added labor of needing to be painted black as well.
Definitely poly coil pipe...
Black drain (ABS or DWV) pipe could also be used, it would give a larger pipe volume and be great for more heat storage, but I wouldn\'t use it for consumption.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:32 AM »
Anyone here on the forum ever build that solar hot water unit?† I believe you could cut costs even more by using black polyethylene pipe instead of copper tubing.† My brother in Colorado heats (warms) his pool using a couple hundred feet of 1\" poly.† I have used \'solar\' hot water showers in the woods on backpacking trips for 25 years.† Just thinking out loud...copper is usually quite expensive.

Had one built one for my boat in stainless, 2\'x2\'x4\" - warmed the water for showers and dish washing, used from Cape Cod to Key West.
Never even needed to paint it black. Tho I saw some yachties do it.

Offline Randor

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
Hey guys, I\'ve got the \"coolest\" solar hot water heater anywhere around. A big 1,000-liter stainless steel tank sitting on the roof all day in the blazing sun. If you like warm showers, you schedule them in the evening/night. If you like cool showers (like I do) you take your shower in the morning.

No panels, no extra high-tech equipment, no customs problems -- and all free energy courtesy of old Mr. Sol.

Yes... I do remember when I first came to live here, rented a townhouse with no hot water heater. First time I took a shower thought I\'d have a heart attack it was so cold. Now, 10 yrs later, I\'m debating whether I\'ll even bother to install instant-on-demand water heater units in our new house -- somehow the water doesn\'t seem cold at all anymore... hehehe.

Regards, Randor

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
That is pretty much the way I thought.
After swimming in mountain lakes and rivers most of my life, the cool water showers there were not a problem at all. Actually I found them refreshing.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS