Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Permanent address in the US after moving to the P.I.  (Read 3958 times)

Offline CuyaJoe

Permanent address in the US after moving to the P.I.
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »

What do you guys/gals use for a permanent mailing address for things like tax forms/SS info/CCards?

Even after moving to the PI I assume I need some place for mail to be delivered in my name back in the States.† I have stocks so they send me mail, Tax time the govt sends me mail, Social security sends me mail, I will probably keep a US credit card so that is more mail.

How did you guys handle that?

Thanks

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Permanent address in the US after moving to the P.I.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »

What do you guys/gals use for a permanent mailing address for things like tax forms/SS info/CCards?

Even after moving to the PI I assume I need some place for mail to be delivered in my name back in the States.† I have stocks so they send me mail, Tax time the govt sends me mail, Social security sends me mail, I will probably keep a US credit card so that is more mail.

How did you guys handle that?

Thanks

Social Security has an office in the Philippines and many have updated SS with their Philippines address. They are located inside the US Embassy if you need to go there in person as well.

Credit cards - yes - a USA address helps. There are a number of \'mailbox\' companies that will forward mail to you worldwide monthly... BEWARE - junkmail adds to your fee ... some charge by the letter... some by weight...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
Taxes, if your at or below the provority level income that the U.S. Government sets, (changes annual), no tax filing is REQUIRED!!! Even if the IRS ~~says~~ you should. That\'s ALL they can advise!!!

It\'s a ploy to keep track of your life as a Citizen of the USA. since Federal taxes are based on World Wide income, regardless, (direct or indirectly), how received!

If your mailing address, (forwarding mail or not), Stateside is an income taxing State, you maybe liable for taxes there also, even living abroad!! California is a BIGGIE to deal with and with a State address or not, if that was your last known address, (info received from the IRS/SS)!!! Been there, am there and the State/IRS can put things where the sun don\'t shine, PERIOD!!!!

There are twist and turns and allowances with living abroad as to U.S. TAXES........IF....... your a legal-beaver!! Do your own friggen research!!!

Having ~~NOTHING~~ in your foreign name generating foreign income and the USA Feds/States have ~~NOTHING~~ to go after, regardless what the agreement is between the two Governments!!!!† ;D
B-Ray† † †

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:45 AM »
† I have used a Philippine address since 1988 when I moved here. I get my tax booklets and SS mail through the Philippine post. I used too get my refund checks through them also but I pay now. I have never had a problem with them but a lot of people have. My permanent address is in Leyte province.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »
I have never had a problem with them but a lot of people have. My permanent address is in Leyte province.

The key is to get to know your postal carriers personally !

Tips from others here led me to keep P20 bills around for mailmen...

So when I have mail.. they MAKE SURE TO DELIVER IT ! heheh

They also know which ones are important and dont wait around for junkmail... but taxes, SSD etc.. they ring my bell to deliver personally - and I thank them with a little gift everytime...

Does wonders !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
I use my sisters address in Wisconsin for my credit card companies, etc., and military income is not taxed in Wisconsin.