Author Topic: 12th grader moving to the Philippines from the U.S.~need some questions answered  (Read 6835 times)

Offline spratty1

Hi, my son is 17 and we are moving to the Philippines.  We are both Philippine citizens as well as U.S. citizens.  How much is it for him to go to private school and since he will be finishing up the 11th grade this summer, how will that all work out in the Philippines?  I hope someone could help me, I cant seem to get any answers besides he has to take an assessment exam and go to college.  That does not sound right to me at all.  He will study medicine there at Los Banos, whenever we figure all of this out. 

Thanks for any direction.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Fees vary for private school.......our 11 year old is attending Grace Christian Academy.....in Tagbilaran, Bohol......about mid range price wise and academic wise   P1400 per month.....

There are 2 better schools in Tagbilaran, but she missed almost a whole year of schooling due to ill health so I thought best to not push her too hard.......

I believe both are about twice the price

High school ends at 10th grade (in our province) so college is pretty lightweight......

One niece graduated at 16, now a sophmore at Holy Name University better of the two universities in Tagbilaran,,,,,,,teetering on the edge of honour student as far as grades go.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Your son can also take the GED exam this summer, bypassing the need to finish high school, and go directly to college upon moving to the Philippines
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline spratty1

Yeah, I printed out the GED form and it states that he has to be out of school for three months in order to be able to take the test, but we leave mid July and he finishes the 11th grade, second week of June. 

Does anyone know how much it cost for him to have to go to High School in the Philippines?  It seems as if it would be awkward for him to be in class if he is older than everyone else there, or are there all ages in High School?  Plus it seems useless since he has already done 11 grades. 

Thank you all for your help here... :)

• Sr Member
The figures/prices I quoted are for Grade 4 and only increase by about 10-15% yearly......don\'t know if that\'s because of course work or inflation......Grace Christian accepts grade 1-10.......don\'t know exactly where a grade 12 child would fit in.

It\'s summer break at the moment so can\'t even contact the two high school principals that I know.

My sister in law is principal of a rural elementary PUBLIC school, I\'ll check with her about where your boy would fit in.

As for age most kids will be a year or two younger than him in the top grade

I\'d speculate that he\'d go directly to college.......however the Philippines school year runs from June to March/April.......enrollment begins late this month

I\'d talk to someone at http://www.uplb.edu.ph/index.php/contact-us

I\'d contact the college of your choice and see about late enrollment.........I don\'t know the US academic processes well but can he get SAT scores before departing USA. That\'d probably be the first step.

As for getting GED, and thus establishing completing high school there\'s distance learning facilities to achieve that.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
He will study medicine there at Los Banos, whenever we figure all of this out.  

I have a friend from Michigan (USA) I have known a few years (met on warcraft online). He attended UP Los Banos last year after hearing enuf about Philippines in our online gaming sessions  ;D . He just went back home about 6 months ago. I will ask him today how much his costs were.

Its VERY low because ... well... because I know him -  ;D

UPDATE:
Friend from USA just picked a \"learn abroad\" program. SO he paid USA tuition and attended school in Philippines....

NOTE2: LaSalle quoted me P200k / $4500 for tuition for a PhD (TOTAL multi year program cost but non-locals pay a LOT more)
Supplies, books and everything else is of course extra.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline spratty1

Captain Ron,

Thank you so much for your wealth of knowledge!  Its nice to talk to someone who knows some facts.  Do you know of any of the distance learning facilities?  He wants to leave sooner now and disenroll here and go to the Philippines.  We are supposed to leave mid July, but he says that he wants to leave earlier.  I talked to his counselor today and he said that would be best to just take him out of school now since he has no interest in finishing here in the U.S. and will not be back here. 

I don\'t know anyone in the educational system there in Philippines.  I am basically going in blind as far as him finishing school.  I talked to the UP secretary there at Las Banos and she told me that he has to take the UPCAT.  I talked to her last year in the fall. 

I think I will go ahead and schedule that SAT, because if he has that he does not have to take the UPCAT.  I don\'t know if he has to have a HS diploma though to attend.  I heard many conflicting stories, some people say he will just take an assessment then others say he has to take a couple of Philippine government classes. 
The UP says their tuition for a Philippine citizen is about 1200 US dollars a year, so if that is correct, then that is nice. 
I really appreciate your direction, this really eases my mind.
IF you should find out anymore, please let me know, thanks.

• Sr Member
Most universities in Bohol & Cebu have affiliated high schools.........I\'ll come back to this later.

Two of the required CORE subjects that a RESIDENT student needs to have is a) The Life and Works of Dr Rizal b) Philippines Civics - something I doubt your son has come across - whether these two requirements could or would be waived will depend on the university concerned. They may be mandatory nationally for all students......

There IS a waiver policy in place (country wide) that allows students to attend univeristy without ALL mandated subjects  ------ for a limited period
(I can\'t remember if it\'s for 5 classes or 5 semesters, suspect that it\'s 5 classes)

IF THESE 2 SUBJECTS CAN\'T BE WAIVED - I\'m sure that enrollment in the universities affiliated high school in those subjects should be possible (probably do-able while attending university)

Combined SAT of 1200 required to bypass UPCAT examination
3 GCE O level + 2 A level (for UK) or International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma  (for other readers)

GED does not appear to waive the UPCAT exam....administrators may/may not allow it

GED may be useful for your son if he wishes to return to the US at some stage

University Costs
We\'re paying for 2 nieces at university -
One at Holy Name University\'s (PRIVATE) Nursing program  - her 2nd year costs were approx P15,000 per semester
The other at University of BOHOL (PUBLIC) Pharmacy program - her 2nd year costs were approx P10,000 per semester

Distance Learning
Sylvan Learning & University of Colorado *used* to offer distance learning programs
UPs Open University may offer distance GED
THIS should be a start >>>> http://www.docnmail.com/learnmore/edu/ged.htm

Offline spratty1

Captain Ron,

Again, thanks for the info!  I am very exstatic about what you have told me. 

This info really will help us on our journey to the Philippines.   :)

• Sr Member
Wow! We plan on moving our 11 yearold to better school when she moves on to high school.

That\'s top universtity fees.

Offline chrry_saine

• Sr Member
whew..Hi everyone I\'m back....I graduated in a Private High school back in the PI but don\'t take my advice seriously \'cause this happened in \'89...(Manila).I\'m sure everything had changed now..I had a classmate from LA that supposedly already in 4th year but has to come back in 3rd year because she had missed all the \"Pilipino\" subject since grade school...hopefully now they have a better idea and let the Phil-Am kids just go to college w/o taking it. the school name is \"Marisyl School\" give it a try it is a very good school..in Malanday Valenzuela.all the subject there is very advance . used to be most of the teacher graduated from UP..I remembered our uniform was based in UP uniform...I\'m not sure if the uniform is still the same...
Understanding is deeper than knowledge....

Offline DoctorM

Philippine High Schools only go to the 10th grade, whether public or private.  After that, the kid enters college.  if your kid is already in the 11th or 12th grade of a US high school, there is no place to go in the Philippines except to an international school.  These are usually sponsored by the US Embassy and other European Embassies and US or European corporations for the children of their American or European staff.  If the US Embassy is involved, the schools will be the very best.  If, and that is a big if, you could manage to enroll in a US Embassy sponsored International school, it will be extremely expensive for you as an outsider.  The embassy and corporate employee\' kids enrollment fees are paid by their employers, but you as an outsider would have to pay out of your pocket. 

Most of us go to the Philippines because it is cheaper to live there, or put alternatively -- we get more bang for the buck.  But secondary (high school) education in the Philippines is generally inferior to US schools, which might have a thousand times the resources of Philippine high school.  Your kid will be better off, in my opinion, to attend and graduate from a US high school.  That was one of my considerations in moving back to the US with my Filipina wife and our two kids.

That said about primary and secondary education, going to a Philippine college or university might be a viable alternative to expensive US colleges and universities.