Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....  (Read 7059 times)

Re: We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »
My wife and our princess are currently staying in a hotel, house hunting, but everything they see is pushing the the 50,000 a month bracket.

What is it with agents, when you tell them your price range, 30,000 pesos, and they immediately take you to a house that is over the top?? Same in the UK, straight to the most expensive place.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »
I believe their fee is 2 months rent ......2 x 50,000 much better than 2x15,000

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 07:18:20 AM »
You also have to be careful of any extras. On one occasion we were asked to pay half of the \'withholding tax\', whatever that is, as our contribution to help the Philippines. ::)

Colin

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
You also have to be careful of any extras. On one occasion we were asked to pay half of the \'withholding tax\', whatever that is, as our contribution to help the Philippines. ::)

Colin
\'Withholding tax\'?? What the hell is that?

Apparently, due to Koreans racking up massive bills then disappearing, there is a huge deposit required for utilities now. 20,000 ++

The trouble is trying to get these deposits back when you leave. I have yet to see anybody in the Philippines hand back a large sum of deposit money without getting anything for it. They simply do not do it.  :D

Last time we left the rental agent owed us 3500 pesos deposit for the water meter, and despite my wife carefully explaining the date we were moving out, and that we would need the money ON THAT DAY, the office was suddenly out of funds when the time came.

No problem if you are moving down the road, but if you are leaving the country.....  ::)

Offline Bongo

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 04:27:03 AM »
Yea, that seems high for the deposit.  I have been married to a Filipina for 14 yrs now.  I don\'t do a thing as a Kano.  My family runs interferance for me on everything.  Except when I demand to talk to a store manager to get a cash price-best price right now on the spot deal.  They get embarrased of my haggeling..........I am even aware of how people will know who you are or who your family is.  I shopped for hollow blocks for my seven foot high fence.  My friend went and priced the blocks for 800P and when I sent my father inlaw to order them but with 1/2 more cement in them for strength the price changed to 1,300P.  We were only going to use 110P more in cement......so the cost should have been increased to 920P for the blks instead of 1,300P...it was because the block maker recognized my father-in-law.  The 1,300P was the Kano price.  Now I get a quote from sources miles away, take the quote to a local and give them a choice of work or no work.  I also have family set and watch every minute.

Is this paradise ? No.  Can I drive somewhere without being bathed in several frequencies of traffice radar ?  Yes !  Can I go fishing without for sure being survielanced by a fish-an-game officer ?  Yes !  Can I go down town and walk around and feel I am part of a crowd and not having every move recorded by the local Gustapo ?  Yes !  Is paradise a place where snobs really do keep to themselves and blue collar workers can afford the sea breeze and drink cheap beer...Yup !

Offline Muleshoe

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 03:42:33 AM »
Try having them drop by the VFW there in Angeles just off perimeter road and see if anyone knows of houses.  Also check at the Blue Boar Inn and see if the horse has a house or knows of one.  

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 08:06:38 AM »
Muleshoe,

King Herald has a place to stay already, this thread is nearly a year old.
He has also left this board.

Graham

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 02:06:39 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=29730.msg29730#msg29730 date=1274292545
Well, not quite so dramatic, but a 20\' container just left our house in England with just about every stick of furniture, our clothes, and all my garage and workshop equipment inside. 

I hope we get to see it again one day in the near future.  :-\\

Queen Herald and Princess Herald will be flying over this Sunday, and I\'ll follow about six weeks later, by which time I hope we will have somewhere nice to live.

We currently have no beds, no chairs, no tv, no fridge, freezer or washing machine. We do have a computer, internet connection, a kettle, a radio, a microwave and a bag of (semi) frozen food, and some coffee.  ;D We should be okay for a few days.......
This is an inquiry to old post but I'm looking for info from folks that do a part time PI life and part time other country life.
Approximately how much back then did a 20 ft container cost in comparison to the value of what you sent and any possible 100% tax on certain items? We are looking at downsizing to the bear minimum except for essentials to come back after a few months out of each year.
Got many questions if anyone else does this.

Thanx if your still out there.
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2020, 07:15:01 PM »
Approximately how much back then did a 20 ft container cost in comparison to the value of what you sent and any possible 100% tax on certain items?

Not sure on container cost. But I agree you need to compare the value what you're shipping to the actual cost of shipping it. It's also worth looking at cost of things you'd need to purchase if you *didn't* ship them. Generally, when we looked at this for our case, I quickly realized there was no point for us in shipping anything. We rent fully-furnished places in Phils and now with AirBnB being prevalent that was very cost effective - far more so than hotels. We tend to travel around so never really found the need to stay anywhere long term. The OP posted ten years ago and AirBnB was not so prevalent - plus he had an entire workshop to ship!

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2020, 10:32:58 PM »
Not sure on container cost. But I agree you need to compare the value what you're shipping to the actual cost of shipping it. It's also worth looking at cost of things you'd need to purchase if you *didn't* ship them. Generally, when we looked at this for our case, I quickly realized there was no point for us in shipping anything. We rent fully-furnished places in Phils and now with AirBnB being prevalent that was very cost effective - far more so than hotels. We tend to travel around so never really found the need to stay anywhere long term. The OP posted ten years ago and AirBnB was not so prevalent - plus he had an entire workshop to ship!
So you made the permanent move?
I would like to have the option of here and there a few months annually for a few more years.
We are not quite that ready for permanent yet but not just a 4-to 6 week vacation either, I have thought a few times also to just sell it all, even if it came down to a total clearing auction to make it be done with in a timely manner. Just thinking it will be hard to part with all my tools etc.
MS

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2020, 01:39:07 AM »
I have not done the container shipping thing myself, but a guy who was a neighbor when I lived in LA shipped a 20-footer from there in about 2003.  I think the cost was a bit under $4,000. I do not recall him saying he paid much in taxes/import duties, but it got rather expensive in other ways.

He did not pay much attention when the container arrived in Manila and was slow to have it removed from the port.  So he ended up paying quite a bit in the way of daily charges for having it sitting there. 

The whole thing turned into a bit of a disaster actually.  First of all,  what he packed into the container was mostly used furniture, of little value, from a place he had been renting in Las Vegas.  He also loaded in used 110-volt appliances, such as a washer, dryer, etc.  We had both moved away from LA by that time.  So he made a few trips with his Econoline van from Vegas to LA and put the Vegas stuff into his sister's garage in LA, where he had stored things when me moved out of LA.  Then he had the container dropped on his sister's driveway and he paid a couple of guys to help him load the container.  Then it got picked up and taken to the port at San Pedro to be loaded aboard ship. 

Once he finally paid to get the container out of hawk in Manila, his plan to have his own house to move into had not come to fruition.  So he had the thing taken to his wife's parents' place near Manila.  Once there, the wife's family, friends and neighbours took what they wanted, but the thing was by no means empty.  So he had it shipped to a storage facility where he paid storage on it for at least a few years.  I think he simply stopped paying in the end and I guess it became a feature of the tv show "Storage Wars".  Contents auctioned off for back rent. 

I had seen in his LA and Las Vegas homes most of what went in that container.  Just ordinary household "stuff".  Nothing high value.  No good tools.  A number of things that would need 110v current to run.  The whole works could probably have been replaced in the Phils with decent new stuff for less than the cost of getting it there.  Never mind what it ended up costing in demurrage, taxes, storage charges

Back in 1999 I thought of shipping a Corvette to the Phils.  I made inquiries and received some general and some specific information from a cargo expert in Manila.  Here's an August 1999 email which touches on the issue of taxes on shipments into the country:

Many thanks for your inquiry.

Based on our past experience, if containerized shipment is a non-diplomatic
or shipper/consignee  is non-holder of 13G VISA, I can personally give you
a rough estimate of customs duty / tax (provided that shipment does not
contain much of electronic and furniture items) :

1)  1x20ft contr -  approx USD 400 but no more than USD 600
2)  1x40ft contr -  approx USD 600 but no more than USD 800

If shipper is a Filipino citizen, shipment only requires shipper's passport
and original OBL and Packing List prior to arrival date of shipment so as
to arrange application for tax exemption (allows only P 10,000 tax
exemption from each shipper).

In the event you have a 13G VISA or any kind of permanent visa like Special
Retirement Visa, then duty/tax can be arranged/processed in full exemption.

Importing a car in Manila, regardless of model and make, would entail a
huge amount of customs duty/tax most particularly if it is not a diplomatic
shipment.
Please provide car make and model to enable us to provide you a rough
estimate of duty/tax. Assuming it is 8-cyl with only 3 yrs of age, I would
suggest to forget about the idea as the amount of customs duty/tax is very
discouraging.

He was right about discouraging to ship a car.  I had 2 vettes sitting in LA - a 1996 and a 1998.  I was thinking about shipping the 96.  The way the tax then worked was to take the new value costs of the car, depreciate by 10% per year (I'll assume straight-line method of depreciation, not that that was ever made clear) and whatever the final figure is, multiply by 150%.  So, for example, if new car cost is $60,000.  Three years of depreciation knocks of $6,000 a year x 3 = $18,000.  Depreciated value is thus $60,000 - 18,000 = $42,000.  The tax would be $42,000 x 150% = $63,000.  More than the price of a new car, just for the tax.  I decided just to keep driving the Nissan Safari around Manila.  Besides, the vette would have been less than practical.  But might have been fun.  I have only ever seen one other Corvette in the Phils.  Looked like it was made circa 1965. 

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2020, 02:05:21 AM »
I have not done the container shipping thing myself, but a guy who was a neighbor when I lived in LA shipped a 20-footer from there in about 2003.  I think the cost was a bit under $4,000. I do not recall him saying he paid much in taxes/import duties, but it got rather expensive in other ways.

He did not pay much attention when the container arrived in Manila and was slow to have it removed from the port.  So he ended up paying quite a bit in the way of daily charges for having it sitting there. 

The whole thing turned into a bit of a disaster actually.  First of all,  what he packed into the container was mostly used furniture, of little value, from a place he had been renting in Las Vegas.  He also loaded in used 110-volt appliances, such as a washer, dryer, etc.  We had both moved away from LA by that time.  So he made a few trips with his Econoline van from Vegas to LA and put the Vegas stuff into his sister's garage in LA, where he had stored things when me moved out of LA.  Then he had the container dropped on his sister's driveway and he paid a couple of guys to help him load the container.  Then it got picked up and taken to the port at San Pedro to be loaded aboard ship. 

Once he finally paid to get the container out of hawk in Manila, his plan to have his own house to move into had not come to fruition.  So he had the thing taken to his wife's parents' place near Manila.  Once there, the wife's family, friends and neighbours took what they wanted, but the thing was by no means empty.  So he had it shipped to a storage facility where he paid storage on it for at least a few years.  I think he simply stopped paying in the end and I guess it became a feature of the tv show "Storage Wars".  Contents auctioned off for back rent. 

I had seen in his LA and Las Vegas homes most of what went in that container.  Just ordinary household "stuff".  Nothing high value.  No good tools.  A number of things that would need 110v current to run.  The whole works could probably have been replaced in the Phils with decent new stuff for less than the cost of getting it there.  Never mind what it ended up costing in demurrage, taxes, storage charges

Back in 1999 I thought of shipping a Corvette to the Phils.  I made inquiries and received some general and some specific information from a cargo expert in Manila.  Here's an August 1999 email which touches on the issue of taxes on shipments into the country:

Many thanks for your inquiry.

Based on our past experience, if containerized shipment is a non-diplomatic
or shipper/consignee  is non-holder of 13G VISA, I can personally give you
a rough estimate of customs duty / tax (provided that shipment does not
contain much of electronic and furniture items) :

1)  1x20ft contr -  approx USD 400 but no more than USD 600
2)  1x40ft contr -  approx USD 600 but no more than USD 800

If shipper is a Filipino citizen, shipment only requires shipper's passport
and original OBL and Packing List prior to arrival date of shipment so as
to arrange application for tax exemption (allows only P 10,000 tax
exemption from each shipper).

In the event you have a 13G VISA or any kind of permanent visa like Special
Retirement Visa, then duty/tax can be arranged/processed in full exemption.

Importing a car in Manila, regardless of model and make, would entail a
huge amount of customs duty/tax most particularly if it is not a diplomatic
shipment.
Please provide car make and model to enable us to provide you a rough
estimate of duty/tax. Assuming it is 8-cyl with only 3 yrs of age, I would
suggest to forget about the idea as the amount of customs duty/tax is very
discouraging.

He was right about discouraging to ship a car.  I had 2 vettes sitting in LA - a 1996 and a 1998.  I was thinking about shipping the 96.  The way the tax then worked was to take the new value costs of the car, depreciate by 10% per year (I'll assume straight-line method of depreciation, not that that was ever made clear) and whatever the final figure is, multiply by 150%.  So, for example, if new car cost is $60,000.  Three years of depreciation knocks of $6,000 a year x 3 = $18,000.  Depreciated value is thus $60,000 - 18,000 = $42,000.  The tax would be $42,000 x 150% = $63,000.  More than the price of a new car, just for the tax.  I decided just to keep driving the Nissan Safari around Manila.  Besides, the vette would have been less than practical.  But might have been fun.  I have only ever seen one other Corvette in the Phils.  Looked like it was made circa 1965.

Thanks Hestecrefter,
Good info.

I think it will come down to a consolidated type sale or auction, after that what doesn't sell away, give it away, recycle it away and lastly throw it away. I will keep very limited items in storage here for a few return trips and some small items to ship them Balikbayan boxes.
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2020, 01:14:22 AM »

No, we are just part-timers. Nearly did make the move, and did a lot of research. I'm pretty minimalist so we figured rather than ship stuff out we'd just go with the basics and rent part/fully-furnished and maybe buy odd bits and pieces as and when we needed them. My hobbies don't require much equipment fortunately. In the end, we decided to keep a base in UK, and just go out to PI now and then. That was working quite well until the dreaded pestilence hit...

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2020, 03:14:52 AM »
No, we are just part-timers. Nearly did make the move, and did a lot of research. I'm pretty minimalist so we figured rather than ship stuff out we'd just go with the basics and rent part/fully-furnished and maybe buy odd bits and pieces as and when we needed them. My hobbies don't require much equipment fortunately. In the end, we decided to keep a base in UK, and just go out to PI now and then. That was working quite well until the dreaded pestilence hit...
Yes we understand that :(
MS

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2020, 02:57:41 PM »
I would like to have the option of here and there a few months annually for a few more years.
We are not quite that ready for permanent yet but not just a 4-to 6 week vacation either, I have thought a few times also to just sell it all, even if it came down to a total clearing auction to make it be done with in a timely manner. Just thinking it will be hard to part with all my tools etc.

We moved here permanently two and half years ago.  After a lot of checking, I quickly realized that shipping my cars and Harley Davidson was not going to be worth it.  I sold the cars and Harley, but still have a classic bike in Dubai waiting for me to decide what to do with.  We figured the cost of shipping the furniture wasn't worth it.  Perhaps it is if you have something of special value to you.  We did send 14 Balikbayan Boxes, very large, so I was able to ship all my tools across. That's a very effective shipping method and no taxes to pay.
Londoner at heart