Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Well Drilling  (Read 6433 times)

Well Drilling
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
LMAO, I plugged into our search for the topic and got everything BUT!!!

So here goes, new topic.

We are drilling our own well within this subdivision because of the LACK of Pinoy maintenance in providing 24/7 water that we are paying for monthly by a meter reading.

The well is located behind the property we own and NO WAY can a drilling rig be used!!!

Therefore, it is a hand dug well by Pinoys that has never done a 4\" well. They have apparently done many 2\" hand pump wells. Therefore, they are EXPERTS in well drilling!!!  ;D

One week into the project and they broke a coupling down hole at 30\' and pulled after 3 days the top 10\' casing to the broken coupling by driving a 3\" pipe into it that they bought from us. Now there is still 20\' of 4\" pipe in the ground with ground water.

Now, using their Pinoy logic, they bought another 20\' of 4\" pipe, (replacing mine in the ground), and another drive shoe to start another hole, leaving the old 4\" at the top of the ground. Reason, it would take too long to pull that 20\'. Oh do I have plans for that 20 foot ~~OLD~~ well!

It doesn\'t matter to me since we are paying per foot, not per day for 6 Pinoy workers. The new hole will not used couplings but welded joints with 2\"x1/4\" flat bar at 4 side of the joints. I KNOW Pinoy welding and willing to pay for that flat bar!!!  ;D

This subdivision well is 60\' deep and therefore, we are going 60\' to see what we find. One NEVER knows where the water wanted can be found!! Ground water ~~IS NOT~~ what we want, PERIOD!!!

We will have a platform 15\' high that can handle 3- 2,000L tanks, (6±tons of water), and will start with two, (+1,000 gals). We will serve 7 houses we own by hooking to what we have already installed in the past. We will need at least one inline pump for one of the 2nd story apartments, maybe both?

All in all, I expect to spend around P200,000± in supplying 24/7 water service to our house and rentals PLUS it\'s maintenance with time.

Once the system is in place and working, this subdivision can take there, (I paid for), water meters and put them where the sun don\'t shine!! The lost will be about P15,000 annual income for water and maintenance of the subdivision water system.

It wasn\'t so much me being P*ssed off except to complain, B_U_T my wife became TOTALLY  UNGLUED!!!! The old saying...........di-o-mite comes in small packages!! ;D ;D

Therefore, our own water system paid from the Legacy PDIC refunds.

I haven\'t figured what ± P200,000 would bring if invested annually, but ± P15,000 savings, (money not spent), doesn\'t sound bad for the efforts at the get-go!  ::)
B-Ray   

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Well Drilling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Sounds like a great investment to me...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:34:49 AM »
If the new 60 ft 4\" pipe dont break again. Or by tis time they must have
reached 60ft with no problem.
Keep us posted.
Rudy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:38:59 AM »
Well Rudy, you responded on the 21st and this is the 28th.

NOPE not done yet!!

There\'s 55\' in the ground with 22\' that has to be bailed out.  They have run into some compacted clay with stones and hard to drill/bail with the tools they have.

Presently they have been drilling inside of the 4\" for an hour this morning and got down 1\". Now I hear there pounding the 4\" again and haven\'t cleaned out the hole.  :o

Hopefully at the bottom there out of the clay zone. If not, I fear adding more 4\" pipe to the well.  :\'(

About the clay zone it\'s been fine sand mostly which would be a good filter, if it doesn\'t plug the well up too have to bail again at some point in time?

So far, they haven\'t found a true gravel zone.

Drilling a water well anywhere, one never knows where the good water is until it found.........whatever it takes.
B-Ray   

If the new 60 ft 4\" pipe dont break again. Or by tis time they must have
reached 60ft with no problem.
Keep us posted.
Rudy

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »
Sounds like a great investment to me...

Way back in 2002-2003 the family talked to us about drilling a well on the property in Novaliches, on the north side of Metro Manila. 

Maynila Water doesn\'t have great service with the main pump being turned off early every day.  Even when it pumps water to the people, it\'s not accomplished with much pressure and the water quality is only good enough for doing laundry and for use in the CR for showers and such.  I would never drink it or cook with it, although many locals do. 

We decided to help the family by having a well drilled.  It cost us around $1000 (50,000PHP) to drill the well and install a combo electric/manual pump and a large water holding tank.  When the well water was tested, everything came out great!  The water quality was very good (although I still won\'t drink it or use it for cooking).  The amazing thing was that now my bro in law Ronel can sell the well water!  Every morning at 5AM people are lined up with their buckets, jugs and water pails to buy the water!  Over the last 7-8 years the well has paid for itself through water sales.  The only reason the family uses water from the Maynila Water system is to fill their water barrels for CR use.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
I do not want to rain on your well water parade but in most areas of the Philippines it is illegal to have a well the law is not enforced everywhere but several wells were shut down in Illoilo a few years ago here is an old article on the law my suggestion would be to keep a low profile and not selling water they are tracing the trucks selling water back to the source and then either put a meter on the well or have it closed

have fun

Tom / Roxas City

Country Water Action: Philippines
National Regulator Takes Drastic Measures Against Big-Time Commercial Water Abusers
(July 2006)

Seeking Attention
Cash Strapped
Dire Threat
Mixed Results
Related Links
SEEKING ATTENTION
Ramon Alikpala flails his arms wildly. He looks like a man drowning in the very water he is trying to conserve. Every two weeks or so the Executive Director of the Philippine National Water Resources Board (NWRB) issues a threat against Manila’s businesses warning them against waste or the illegal extraction of well water.

Asked why he shouts so much, he says: “I’m only trying to create awareness, because one, nobody knows we exist, and two, people don’t know there is a law!”

The agency on paper is an all-powerful body that regulates water use across the entire country of over 7,200 islands. It enforces the water code, sets tariffs for water utilities, and is just about to take over the Local Water Utility Authorities. The law is the 1976 National Water Code, the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of which Alikpala managed to get amended and approved as law in April 2005.

CASH STRAPPED
But the NWRB is an agency tucked away in the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, well away from public view. It has such a pitiful budget that it couldn’t afford to have the amended IRR gazetted and published in local newspapers as part of the enforcement process. So, the very public it is trying to reach doesn’t even know there is such a law.

Alikpala has to resort to issuing threats that he will haul water wasters to court and force them to cap their wells, because he says, “the diminishing water from aquifers is critical.” In Metro Manila—which has a population of over 12 million—the aquifers are drying up. “There is saline intrusion in our aquifers. I have to create awareness to save them,” he stressed.

He says 30-40% of businesses in Manila have no permits to extract water from their wells. He has sent out warnings to five-star hotels like the Shangri-La Makati, expensive department stores, high-profile businesses and even golf courses—all of whom never applied for well water extraction permits. Alikpala wants them all to close their wells and sign up for piped water from the two water concessionaires—Maynilad Water and Manila Water Services.

DIRE THREAT
Although these two water concessionaires have been grappling with infrastructure problems, such as the replacement of leaking pipes, and can’t deliver piped water to all households and businesses in Metro Manila, their source is renewable surface water—whereas the draining of the aquifers now poses an ecological threat to the very foundations upon which the capital stands.

In order to demonstrate his determination, Alikpala recently led a team that forcibly entered the Landmark Department Store in the heart of the capital’s business district of Makati and sealed off its deep water well, accusing the store of illegally tapping the water despite a closure order last year. “We need to send a strong message to violators that we will not stand for unregulated deep wells,” he said.

The amended IRR calls for increased penalties—from a paltry 1,000 pesos (US$20) per violation to a daily fine of 1,000 pesos as long as water continues to be drawn illegally. Alikpala wants all businesses to apply for permits and be issued meters to monitor the extraction of well water. “Oh, they are giving me all kinds of excuses why they don’t want to connect to Maynilad or Manila Water,” he said. “Of course they don’t want to pay for piped water. I’m going to price well water slightly higher than treated (piped) water as a disincentive.”

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »
Did not know about any law...

I had a deep well put in on the property in Bohol.... 110 ft. 6\" pipe with 1.5 hp pump and 82 gal pressure tank with all the proper check valves.  Cost was 75k and the pressure tank was 12k.

The pressure is set at at a low of 15 and a high of 35.  Glad I did it... the town supply is a well of about 90\' and they charge the locals about 300 a month minimum. The problem they have is there must be 20 some odd houses connected on a gravity fed line so several times a day they have little to no water.

I guess this will be the last time I mention a well... keeping a low profile from here on out.
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Tom, you could be correct?

But, in our case, we have a drilling premit from the local township where we live. Everything we do in our business, we try and keep things as legal as possible including licensing, registered names, her SSS and the BIR included.

Our well is for our house and 6 rentals. With a 4\" well and starting with 4 tons of water storage at 15\' high and setup to add another 2 tons of water if needed, (including plumbing at the get-go giving a total of 3- 2.000l. tanks.

A word about the platform. I will have a 6\" concrete slab 6\'X14\', (tanks 4\' 3\" X 2) using hog wire fencing is the mix with an additional 18\" footing for each of the 3\" GI post, (4 conners and 1 center). What bracing I feel will be need will be added.   The platform will have 3\"X3\"X1/4\" angle bar frame with 2\"X6\" planks coated with a number of coats of diesel. Once the 2 tanks are installed, a roof of half bamboo, (U and upside down U), will be installed and as things are seen, (wife ordered to much bamboo  ;D), most likely sidewalls also. ;D

As of this writing, the well has been completed at 55\', (hit good gravel), with 51\' of water in the 4\" pipe. The next step is figuring the well pump down.........how fast the well recovers, (KEY POINT). That information will give me the rating of the pump needed without pumping the well dry.

Not only does it need to be known how much a pump can lift, (well depth in feet/meters), but also what head, (lifting in feet/meters), has to be known before buying a given pump.

I don\'t want a pump that can pump the well dry, (water well doesn\'t recover fast enough) ~~OR~~ take H_O_U_R_S to pump what water is needed.

Since the Pinoy well drillers do not have a pump to test the well. (standard in other parts of the world), I\'ll have to GUESS what to buy at the get-go! I HOPE I\'m not mistaken and have to live with!!!  ;D

Drilling a water well is only step ONE of many steps to complete the system regardless of how big or small the system is!!

If your one among Pinoy family members, you might figure your system will be added on to and take that at the get-go!!

In our case, this subdivision can go dry as far as we care!!!!!!!!!!!!  We will have 24/7 water even if I have to punch another well to do it!!

It shouldn\'t AMAZE me, (as it does), that the 25 local Pinoy home owners within the subdivision will put up with no water and/or very low pressure with a 40,000L holding tank and it\'s own subdivision well and paying for maintenance every month.

One more situation in understanding Pinoy logic across the board????
B-Ray     

I do not want to rain on your well water parade but in most areas of the Philippines it is illegal to have a well the law is not enforced everywhere but several wells were shut down in Illoilo a few years ago here is an old article on the law my suggestion would be to keep a low profile and not selling water they are tracing the trucks selling water back to the source and then either put a meter on the well or have it closed

have fun

Tom / Roxas City

Country Water Action: Philippines
National Regulator Takes Drastic Measures Against Big-Time Commercial Water Abusers
(July 2006)

Seeking Attention
Cash Strapped
Dire Threat
Mixed Results
Related Links
SEEKING ATTENTION
Ramon Alikpala flails his arms wildly. He looks like a man drowning in the very water he is trying to conserve. Every two weeks or so the Executive Director of the Philippine National Water Resources Board (NWRB) issues a threat against Manila’s businesses warning them against waste or the illegal extraction of well water.

Asked why he shouts so much, he says: “I’m only trying to create awareness, because one, nobody knows we exist, and two, people don’t know there is a law!”

The agency on paper is an all-powerful body that regulates water use across the entire country of over 7,200 islands. It enforces the water code, sets tariffs for water utilities, and is just about to take over the Local Water Utility Authorities. The law is the 1976 National Water Code, the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of which Alikpala managed to get amended and approved as law in April 2005.

CASH STRAPPED
But the NWRB is an agency tucked away in the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, well away from public view. It has such a pitiful budget that it couldn’t afford to have the amended IRR gazetted and published in local newspapers as part of the enforcement process. So, the very public it is trying to reach doesn’t even know there is such a law.

Alikpala has to resort to issuing threats that he will haul water wasters to court and force them to cap their wells, because he says, “the diminishing water from aquifers is critical.” In Metro Manila—which has a population of over 12 million—the aquifers are drying up. “There is saline intrusion in our aquifers. I have to create awareness to save them,” he stressed.

He says 30-40% of businesses in Manila have no permits to extract water from their wells. He has sent out warnings to five-star hotels like the Shangri-La Makati, expensive department stores, high-profile businesses and even golf courses—all of whom never applied for well water extraction permits. Alikpala wants them all to close their wells and sign up for piped water from the two water concessionaires—Maynilad Water and Manila Water Services.

DIRE THREAT
Although these two water concessionaires have been grappling with infrastructure problems, such as the replacement of leaking pipes, and can’t deliver piped water to all households and businesses in Metro Manila, their source is renewable surface water—whereas the draining of the aquifers now poses an ecological threat to the very foundations upon which the capital stands.

In order to demonstrate his determination, Alikpala recently led a team that forcibly entered the Landmark Department Store in the heart of the capital’s business district of Makati and sealed off its deep water well, accusing the store of illegally tapping the water despite a closure order last year. “We need to send a strong message to violators that we will not stand for unregulated deep wells,” he said.

The amended IRR calls for increased penalties—from a paltry 1,000 pesos (US$20) per violation to a daily fine of 1,000 pesos as long as water continues to be drawn illegally. Alikpala wants all businesses to apply for permits and be issued meters to monitor the extraction of well water. “Oh, they are giving me all kinds of excuses why they don’t want to connect to Maynilad or Manila Water,” he said. “Of course they don’t want to pay for piped water. I’m going to price well water slightly higher than treated (piped) water as a disincentive.”

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
The upright 3\" GI pipes are installed and the 6\" concrete slab w/fencing  and the additional 18\" footing for the uprights is completed.

Now, cutting the 3X3X1/4 angle bar for the deck frame work is being done and welded to the 3\" pipping.

Much bracing is now included in the frame work. Down force isn\'t a problem, I figure I have that covered.

With high winds, (not normal), side movement is what I\'m now looking at with 4, (planned), to 6, (maybe), TONS of water at 15\' high.

Will this project be an OVER KILL in engineering?

~~I~ surely hope so with feeding 7 houses, with water 24/7 water longer then my life time, whatever remains!!
B-Ray   

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
Deck frame at 15\' high is being welded for yet another day. In other words, ain\'t right RE-DUE until \"I\" say it is!!!

I\'ve change from 2x6 planks to 4\'X8\'X3/4\" plyboard and 3 layers giving a 2 1/4\" level  deck for the 2 water tanks.

Why? 2x6 rough cut need to be re-sawed  to fit tight and planned to be even surfaces. I just didn\'t want the plastic tank to conformed to the deck and weaken the plastic bottom. Using plyboard give a smooth, even surface. The layers will be glued and nailed and coated with a deck paint.

I\'ve just learned that a Pinoy attorney neighbor next door built a two story, (remodeled the lower house), and has a water tank above the upper CR to handle both upstairs and down with the same problem for the reason we are doing our own water system.

HUMMM, wonder it he will add to our system, (separate tank and piping), at his cost and meter our water delivered???  ;D   
B-Ray     

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »
The deck or floor at 15\' high is done. The Pioneer product WOOD GLUE, a plastic resin glue, was applied between the 1st and 2nd layer of flooring for the two 2,000L water tanks, (about 250# each). Both tanks, after some effort are in in place but not installed yet. IE: using fish netting/ropes and bamboo poles.

Hey, two Pinoys can get the job done!!!  ;D
B-Ray

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
UP DATE:

The tanks, (2), are installed and most plumbing done for the system for 7 houses.

Last week we bought an Italy made 1 HP pump 1\" in and out. Down hole is 1 1/4\" tubing with foot valve/screen set at 30\' to start. After pumping for one hour over the wall to the creek, pulsing started but not bad. In other words, at that depth, the well was not recovering fast enough.

Next day, added another 10\' down hole. After pumping for 2 hours, no pulsing and delivering 4 gallons a minute with very few grains of anything.

Today, hooked the pump to the 4,000L storage tanks. With the tanks half full, we decided the flooring on the deck needed more support, (3x3x1/4 angle bar), under the tanks. Drain the tanks and will weld the angle bar in place. Better safe then sorry!!

Getting close to divorce from the FRIGGEN subdivision water system!!  ;D
B-Ray     

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:07:04 PM »
Another update:

All systems are a go! Now totally divorced from the subdivision water system and serving 7 houses. 

From advise from our attorney, wrote a letter to the Homeowners Association Board of the fact and my wife resigned from that board as auditor of the books at the same time since she couldn\'t do her duties for 5 years. Pinoy figure\'s in the pot???

The only addition to our water system is a 2nd on demand water pump for the 2nd story apartment. The only problem reported there is TO MUCH PRESSURE!!  I\'ll cut the settings.  ;D
B-Ray   

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 01:33:08 PM »
Or put in pressure regulators.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
.....The only addition to our water system is a 2nd on demand water pump for the 2nd story apartment. The only problem reported there is TO MUCH PRESSURE!!  I\'ll cut the settings.  ;D  B-Ray   

Aw come on! I\'m beginning to like the fire hose shower!  ;D