Author Topic: Books  (Read 7471 times)

Offline brassai

Books
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
 I have been helping my girl finish her study\'s , which is very important to her and her family.Ten months to go
and than she will be coming to US . She just asked me for 5000php for a book she needs, does that sound like
a reasonal price for a book in the PI. It sounds to me I would be buying books for the whole class.

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »
5000P does sound awfully steep! Ask which book is it!

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »
I have been helping my girl finish her study\'s , which is very important to her and her family.Ten months to go
and than she will be coming to US . She just asked me for 5000php for a book she needs, does that sound like
a reasonal price for a book in the PI. It sounds to me I would be buying books for the whole class.

Over US$100 for a book?? :o

I sure hope it has all the answers to all the exams in the back for that money.†  :D

I think somebody might be pulling a fast one, as chances are nobody else in her whole school would be able to afford that book.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
We just paid for my sons 2nd year books.. 7 books were 3K pesos.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »
My niece had to purchase a book for her college course a few months ago and that ran over P3,000.† It depends on the book, the course and the instructor but P5,000 is probably not out of line for one book at certain times.† Now if every book was costing that then I would be wary.†

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline brassai

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »
† I will try and get the name of the book . I know it has to do with taxes and accounting.†  Thank you

Offline brassai

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
† I think she is not two far off . I guess its two books . The Principles of taxation for business and investments, and the other is for payroll. Principles of taxation is $150 on Amazon.com† . There are 35 students in her class. I doubt many† can afford this.†

Thank you

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »
Yes textbooks can sometimes be very expensive for the average Pinoy hence many are unable to buy them. †Enterprising students will borrow a classmate\'s book to study. †Often they will just photo copy the book a little at a time. †They do whatever they have to do to survive. †

Fortunately our nieces and nephews have us to help them with these costs. †We pay all the tuition for three college students, one high school and one elementary. †We also help with books and special projects. †They are responsible for their daily living costs. †Four of them still live with their parents so that is a break for them. †The other one, a college student, works full time in a rice mill to support herself while attending college. †Because of her attitude and her strong desire to succeed she has quickly become my favorite. †Recently she graduated and received her AA degree and now is pursuing the final two years for her BA. †So whatever you can do to help these poor students is much needed by them. †And that nice warm feeling you experience when they graduate cannot be surpassed. †Good luck.

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
† I think she is not two far off . I guess its two books . The Principles of taxation for business and investments, and the other is for payroll. Principles of taxation is $150 on Amazon.com† . There are 35 students in her class. I doubt many† can afford this.†

Thank you

I\'ll have to take back what I said, as I\'ve Googled the book and the price is £100 in the UK.  :o

There are loads on Amazon, used, for as little as $30 though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0073379646/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 04:10:37 AM »
Books ain\'t cheap...
Heck, school ain\'t cheap.
I\'m enrolling in COMMUNITY college to get my learn on and its gonna cost me $1500 a term... books and lab fees NOT included :o :o :o
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline brassai

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »
† Maybe another business opportunity , A used book store near campus

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
† Maybe another business opportunity , A used book store near campus
If there is a possible niche to be filled, there will already be a half dozen identical Filipino stores side by side right outside the campus.† :D Don\'t you just know it.

I once† wanted to buy some printer paper, and outside the AUF in Angeles there are a dozen or more stationary/printing/photocopying stores, but do you think any one of the could sell me a ream of A4???† ???

Nope: \"Sorry siiiir, out of stock todaaaaay, try again tomorrrrrrooow\".

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 05:11:11 AM »

More than 1/2 the time when they say \"Out of stock\" they really are saying

\"Sorry siiiir, I dont really understand your english so I will say \'out of stock\' to anything you ask for and hope you go somewhere else before my nose starts bleeding\". :)

My last test of this was ordering an item from a \'bulk bin\' via txt last week. When I asked in taglish it was in stock.

When I txt in english 1 hr later it was out of stock... until I replied in taglish that I was told it was IN stock. . . they said \"sori po, we have\"
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 05:57:22 AM »

More than 1/2 the time when they say \"Out of stock\" the really are saying

\"Sorry siiiir, I dont really understand your english so I will say \'out of stock\' to anything you ask for and hope you go somewhere else before my nose starts bleeding\". :)

My last test of this was ordering an item from a \'bulk bin\' via txt last week. When I asked in taglish it was in stock.

When I txt in english 1 hr later it was out of stock... until I replied in taglish that I was told it was IN stock. . . they said \"sori po, we have\"

Good god, how soon we forget eh?† :D

I remember the early days going shopping for bike parts, when it was always a struggle to find anything, before I learned the tactics: Walk in, without the wife, big cheese eating grin on my face, make everybody happy, laugh and joke and sing song through the pantomimes of describing what I am after, have a laugh, never show any frustration or stress, or sarcasm, keep them all on my side etc etc. You know the story.† ;D

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 07:14:20 AM »
I once† wanted to buy some printer paper, and outside the AUF in Angeles there are a dozen or more stationary/printing/photocopying stores, but do you think any one of the could sell me a ream of A4???† ???

A4 paper is hard to find here, I stock up at the big stationers in Manila when I visit. You will have to adapt to the US letter size for most things. Unfortunately the usual stuff available is very thin poor quality, but it is cheap.

Colin