Author Topic: Freelance Work Permits?  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Big Tom

Freelance Work Permits?
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:10:30 AM »
Does anyone know or have any information about working as a freelancer in the Philippines? I\'m a commercial photographer and hoping to establish a second residence in RP. I\'d like to be able to pick up the occasional contract shooting for a magazine or corporate client. A traditional work permit doesn\'t apply because most creative or commercial assignments would only be 1-day to a few weeks at most.

I know the other option is to set up a business (commercial photography studio) through my (soon-to-be) wife and then get a work permit through the business, but I\'d much rather avoid this kind of setup and don\'t really want anything this formal or permanent.

I\'m also planning to produce stock photography while living in RP - rough plan is 3-4 months in RP starting in 2011, and the rest of the time in the USA (just trying to figure out how to do this around school for the kid as I\'d rather be in RP in the winter months). It doesn\'t sound like I will have any problems with this as my photos are sold and I am paid through US sources. I would be hiring local models, stylists, locations, etc.

I have to think there is some sort of freelance permit for writers, artists, consultants, etc. but then again... maybe not.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: Freelance Work Permits?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:10:42 AM »
Tom, I think the answer is in your second paragraph.† Set up the business through your asawa and proceed from there.† I don\'t think you\'ll get away with some informal type of arrangement.† Here is what the US Embassy website says.† Of particular note, for any alien considering working in the RP, is the \"Penalities\" section.

Non-Resident Aliens Who Intend to Work in the Philippines

All foreign nationals seeking admission to the Philippines for the purpose of employment, all non-resident foreign nationals already working in the Philippines, and all non-resident foreign nationals admitted to the Philippines on on-working visas, who wish to work in the Philippines, regardless of the source of compensation and duration of employment are required by the Philippine Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to secure an Alien Employment Permit (AEP).

Resident Aliens and Immigrants Who Intend to Work in the Philippines

Resident Alien - refers to any foreign national who is allowed by law to reside indefinitely in the Philippines

All foreign nationals admitted to the Philippines as immigrants, who wish to seek employment, and all resident aliens already working in the Philippines, irrespective of the source of compensation and nature and duration of employment are required to secure an Alien Employment Registration Certificate (AERC) from the DOLE\'s Regional Office.

Penalties

Aliens who are found working without an employment permit as required by law, are penalized with a fine ranging from one thousand pesos (P1,000.00) to ten thousand pesos (P10,000), or imprisonment ranging from three months to three years, or both. In addition to such penalties, any alien found guilty shall be summarily deported upon completion of service of sentence.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha006.html

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Big Tom

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »
Thanks Greg, this is helpful.

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
Tom

U can have a permit to work in RP if depending on your age u must put some money in a time deposit. I\'m talking about SRRV (Special Resident Retiree\'s Visa). Just go into their website www.pra.gov.ph.
U have another option here.

Andrew
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

Offline Big Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
Thanks again. The SRRV is a very interesting option. It said the release of time deposits are for a condo, long-term home lease, or country club share. Do you know if it\'s possible to use the time deposit to purchase, rather than rent, a home by doing it in your wife\'s name?

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »
Tom

If u read further your deposit after sitting for 30 days can convert to purchaes a condo unit. I believed u can\'t use it to buy a lot only long term lease.
I don\'t know where is your location why don\'t u check with the PRA office near u.

Andrew
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
Tom

If u read further your deposit after sitting for 30 days can convert to purchaes a condo unit. I believed u can\'t use it to buy a lot only long term lease.
I don\'t know where is your location why don\'t u check with the PRA office near u.

Andrew

Hi Andrew. This is from the PRA website regarding what you investments you can use the deposit for.

Q: WHAT AREAS OF INVESTMENTS ARE AVAILABLE TO A RESIDENT RETIREE?
A: The areas of investment are the following:

Purchase of condominium unit/s;
Long term Lease of a house and lot, condominium or townhouse unit/s;
Construction of a residential unit on a leased parcel of land;
Purchase of Proprietary Membership/Golf shares in golf clubs;
For former Filipinos, purchase of a lot not exceeding 5,000 square meters in urban areas or three (3) hectares rural areas to be used for business or other purposes.
Note: A retiree who has converted his dollar deposit into an active investment may opt to substitute the same with another form of investment that is allowed under the PRA program.

Richard

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:58 AM »
Yep that sounds about right that u can purchase a condo unit with your time deposit. Got the same info from the link from the Philippine Embassy in Singapore.
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas