Author Topic: Japer, Cebu City area homes to be razed  (Read 2952 times)

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Japer, Cebu City area homes to be razed
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:56:37 AM »
The homes that have been built in Japer are scheduled for demolition on June 21, 2010.† Evidently there has been an ongoing dispute between the various owners of that property and the one who favors evicting everyone has apparently emerged victorious.†  :(

It\'s a shame that a family\'s home can be torn down but that\'s life in the RP.† And that\'s what happens when you don\'t own the land you build on.† † :\'(

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Big Tom

Re: Japer, Cebu City area homes to be razed
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:12:09 AM »
My fiancee Meljorie and most of her mother\'s side of the family live in Japer. I just heard about this yesterday. From what Mel says, 110 families received notices of demolition (10-day notices - ridiculous). Fortunately for Mel and her family, there homes are just outside this area so they aren\'t immediately effected yet. I\'ll try to post more updates if Mel can pass along any details to me. I love Japer and sad days are definitely ahead for these people...

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:14:28 AM »
WOW !

That really sucks...
Do you have a link? I would really like to find photos to see what that part of Jasper looks like before the teardown.

Found some nice condos and multi million peso units there online... it would be a shame for all those millions to go to waste !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:55:52 AM »
Dylanaz, no million dollar condos in Japer, Cebu.† It\'s mostly a typical squatter area with typical squatter homes although some have built fairly nice (given the surroundings) two story concrete houses.† Instead of high rises think shanties with latrines masquerading as creeks and streams.† You know the kind of place I mean.

I searched PicasaWeb, Flickr and PhotoBucket and could only find one foto of the area.† It\'s a group shot of my wife\'s brothers

No, not really.† I have no idea who those guys are.† It says team Wolf.† Wonder if they\'re related to Jack?

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »
My fiancee Meljorie and most of her mother\'s side of the family live in Japer. I just heard about this yesterday. From what Mel says, 110 families received notices of demolition (10-day notices - ridiculous). Fortunately for Mel and her family, there homes are just outside this area so they aren\'t immediately effected yet. I\'ll try to post more updates if Mel can pass along any details to me. I love Japer and sad days are definitely ahead for these people...

WOW .. 10 day Eviciton notice !

That does bite... moving out in 10 days.. AND finding a new place... with no financial reserved ! OUCH

Searching \"Jasper area\" only gave me \'good\' places to live...  but ya - I never found teh word JASPER in a listing like http://homes.point2.com/PH/Cebu/Cebu-City-Real-Estate.aspx

I guess when the squatters are evicted we will see condos there in a few years !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »
Dylanaz, no million dollar condos in Japer, Cebu.† It\'s mostly a typical squatter area with typical squatter homes although some have built fairly nice (given the surroundings) two story concrete houses.† Instead of high rises think shanties with latrines masquerading as creeks and streams.† You know the kind of place I mean.

I searched PicasaWeb, Flickr and PhotoBucket and could only find one foto of the area.† It\'s a group shot of my wife\'s brothers

No, not really.† I have no idea who those guys are.† It says team Wolf.† Wonder if they\'re related to Jack?

Drat!† You found my troops!† I told them to never pose for photos as you never know who will be watching.† Now I have to relocate their secret training camp closer to my property.†  ;)

Curses!† Foiled again!†  ::)†  ;D;D;D

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Big Tom

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:05:18 AM »
I don\'t have any real specific information, but the demolition of homes at Japer Quiot has been stopped. To the best of my knowledge, a group of community leaders from Japer went to meet with the new mayor of Cebu and he signed an order stopping the planned demolition. I wish I had more details, but apparently the mayor will not allow the demolition to go forward until he is satisfied that the landowners provide suitable new homes and/or money to help displaced people move. At least for a few months, it seems like people there are breathing a big sigh of relief and they have a new mayor that is sympathetic.

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
I don\'t have any real specific information, but the demolition of homes at Japer Quiot has been stopped. To the best of my knowledge, a group of community leaders from Japer went to meet with the new mayor of Cebu and he signed an order stopping the planned demolition. I wish I had more details, but apparently the mayor will not allow the demolition to go forward until he is satisfied that the landowners provide suitable new homes and/or money to help displaced people move. At least for a few months, it seems like people there are breathing a big sigh of relief and they have a new mayor that is sympathetic.

It never ceases to amaze me that a landowner has to pay to relocate squatters!

Offline Big Tom

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
These people pay rent, many own their homes, whole families will be displaced.... they\'ve lived their for years and years (yet their eviction notice was only 10-days).

From your perspective, knowdafish, the rights of a rich individual trump those of a poor community?

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
What needs to happen here is for the rich mayor, yes most of them are rich, there is no direct money in Government, the rich mayor needs to authorise the local government to purchase the property from the rich, maybe rich landowner and designate it as part of the town.
Wayne† ;D ;D

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
These people pay rent, many own their homes, whole families will be displaced.... they\'ve lived their for years and years (yet their eviction notice was only 10-days).

From your perspective, knowdafish, the rights of a rich individual trump those of a poor community?

The question is....who are they paying rent to? If it is not the property owner than they are squatters along with their \"landlord\".

Without property rights you get exactly what you have in this case....CHAOS!

The land owner is the, you guessed it, OWNER! Not the squatters! They shouldn\'t have been allowed to build their in the 1st place. Just because, knowing full well, that they built on someone else\'s property does not give them rights to hold the owner or the government hostage! Poor people abound in every nation, but just because they are poor it does not in any way, shape, or form, give them a license to steal!

It would be like some one \"finding\" a car, using it for years and then getting upset when it is taken by the police and given back to the rightful owner! Why should the owner pay the thief to get his car back?

That is twisted thinking in my book!

Offline USMC-Retired

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
Amen to the above post.