Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Visiting Singapore  (Read 3720 times)

Visiting Singapore
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:00:23 PM »
Just wondering if any one has been to  Singapore?  If so any advice on where to stay?  And there are allot of tours in that city, anyone taken those?  Are they worth the money? 
My trip is in November.
All advice is welcome...

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Visiting Singapore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
Are we making our yearly visa exit excursion ?
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
Are we making our yearly visa exit excursion ?

You Bet......this  will be my first visa exit excursion

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
I lived there for a couple of years long ago, and spent many days there on various port calls or crew changes. It is a fabulous place, but a bit pricey. There is a range of hotels from backpackers dives to $1000 a night palaces, but I can\'t really recommend anywhere without being well out of date. It will depend on your budget really, how long you plan staying etc.

There are loads of things to do, places to visit etc. An hour on Google will bring up a whole bunch of places to visit, museums, the bird park, Sentosa island, Raffles hotel etc.

The public transport system is great, buses, MRT (rail system) taxis are all metered and controlled and not expensive.

I used to spend hours just walking the streets, around Orchard Road, and the surrounding areas. It is clean, safe, tidy etc.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »
Let her share a hint of your home country while in Singapore...

All I can mention or recommend is that they have UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD... in SINGAPORE ! JUST OPENED THIS YEAR !!!

I dont think there would be anything better to do there related to your home country than this Universal Studios - thats if you care to give her a piece of American entertainment while there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EqyIP5MsgM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EqyIP5MsgM</a>

BRAND NEW 2010 THEME PARK !

They also have official Apple stores and you can save hundreds in an iPad/iPhone4 if you buy in that country as opposed to locally where they arent \'officially\' available.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:02:22 AM »
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 04:29:33 AM »
My wife is happy because she knows the can go to Singapore to visit their IKEA.    ::)
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »
Don\'t they also have the worlds biggest Ferris wheel in Singapore? And that mahoosive park thing atop three skyscrapers, somewhere down near the East Coast docks?

I\'ll have to take my family back there for a trip some day. Wifey has been several times, but Princess Herald never has.

Offline dramazone

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
Singapore is very pricey ( in many places) and unless you want to eat/drink with the locals in the foodcourts/Kopitiams you will need to take out an extra mortgage. The pubs vary in prices but even happy hours are expensive compared with other places (one or two exceptions).

Night Safari can be disappointing. Esplanade Theatre excellent but pricey (depending on the show) some seats can set you back $400 per person (and more) - especially for the touring shows.  The waterfronts are fine and various events are staged there. East Coast Park (Leisure and Beach) is fine and there are cycle hire facilities/bars/cafes - it can get very busy though. Clarke Quay worth a visit - especially the Crazy Elephant Bar if you like live blues music with a touch of classic rock. Free admission and (fairly) reasonable drink prices. Eating out is pricey in the tourist areas.

Orchard Road - very, very pricey but worth a visit as is Little India (that\'s not so pricey and you can get decent buys but some cheap and nasty stuff sold). \'Lucky Plaza Mall \' is almost exclusively Philippino but some fake goods can be found there as  they can be at Sim Lim Mall (electronics). Lots of Cinemas and Karaoke places (KTV). Taxis quite reasonable (most of the time).

Just a few ideas there but, no doubt, you will find things to do.

I prefer the Philippines to Singapore and find it far more relaxing and less humid. Anyway, enjoy the visit if you come over.

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
Ok, first time visitor to my birthplace.
Hotels prices ranges from $50 to a $1000/night depending on your budget. U can check out the Hotel 81 or Fragrance hotel chain website, they have several hotels all around S\'pore.
Singapore is consider a shopping n food paradise there are many shopping malls in the city n in the surburbs, food is everywhere u won\'t go hungry even MacDonalds now operate 24/7. The period u intending to come in November is the school holiday n X\'mas n year end festive, so is going to be crowded everywhere.
See Orchard road at night n you will see all the malls n roads decorated for christmas.
Yes we have the biggest ferris wheel in the world called the S\'pore Flyer (there\'s another asian country building it even bigger) great time to go is between 6 to 7pm so u can see both daylight n night time.
Getting around is no problem good public transport system.
Night life maybe u can check out dramazone spin his stuff.
Anyway there are more but u check this site http://www.newasia-singapore.com

Andrew
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
Singapore is very pricey ( in many places) and unless you want to eat/drink with the locals in the foodcourts/Kopitiams you will need to take out an extra mortgage.

But the food in these places  is both varied, delicious and perfectly safe to eat.  ;D

For the price you won\'t get better value anywhere. I used to use them all the time when I lived/worked there over the years. They even have them on Orchard road, so you can window shop in the worlds most expensive stores, but not have to pay a fortune just for a feed.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
Thanks everybody for all the info.....very helpfull to say the least.  WOW.

Hopefully there wont be any bad weather in November.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »
Do you recommend taking US Dollars or Singapore Dollars to spent when visiting Singapore??

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Suggest u use s\'pore dollars. U can get your peso change to S\'pore dollar in RP or when u get here, all major credit card are also accepted here.
Weather wise in that month can be a damper but cool just like in RP.
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

Offline Lyn

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
My wife is happy because she knows the can go to Singapore to visit their IKEA.    ::)

so happy that we have IKEA in dubai. my favorite store also.