Author Topic: Bohol  (Read 2369 times)

Bohol
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:53:25 PM »
I see some people have been to Bohol Island, what did you think of it and is an expensive part of the Philippines to build a house?   I\'m planning on visiting Bohol this August, how much does the boat ride cost and how long of a ride it is?  How do I get around the Island by rent a car or taxi?   And any other suggestions about this place?

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Bohol
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »
There are [strike]cheaper[/strike] more expensive places than Bohol but that\'d be Cebu and Manila primarily.......

Throw in the fact that most Boholanos believe they are about to see a boom in tourism with the \"international\" airport at Panglao moving (GRADUALLY) ahead there is some grounds for that optimism.

You can get bargains, I think we did, both with the land that we\'ve bought and the (relatively new 2 bedroomed townhouse we\'re renting P9,000)

I think what Vaughn meant in his post was prices of goods, materials and entertainment.....(I may be wrong)

Bohol is not different that anywhere else in the Philippines, in that a lot of Filipinos believe foreigners have bottomless pockets
Despite working on our building site, I am continuously approached to buy more land (at prices 3 and 4 times the price we paid) - a couple of times I\'ve looked at the properties but in all cases the lots didn\'t compare to ours in attractiveness, stage of development etc.....but every month we get someone else offering their land at inflated prices.

We were considering a much smaller lot 500sqm in Dauis (Panglao) at P1200/sqm but we waited and waited and the much better lot popped up. It popped up through contacts that we were unaware had interests in real estate.

So if you\'re looking for a decent price, unless you are the epitome of lucky you won\'t find it in a day trip, a weekend trip or a weeks trip.....it takes time

Same goes for dining......I was astonished in my first trip to Bohol at the wonderful food at Gerrys Grill overlooking the harbour but as time went on I\'ve found better priced, better tasting food - IT JUST TAKES TIME AND RESEARCH to get good deals

BOAT RIDE PRICES - Depends where you\'re coming from Manila is overnight and varies from P1200-3000+ depending on outside bunkbeds or tourist, first class cabins
From Cebu, Dumaguete it\'ll be around P500-600 each way

GETTING AROUND - Private car or vans offer tours around P2500 per person......if you do it solo it\'ll be more than 5,000

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »
I think my gf who I have been chatting on line with wants me to buy some land on Bohol, she want to live there,  her aunt in Germany has some land for sale but the cost seems somewhat step for my budget, I\'m going to have to talk to her about that.  I think that is why she wants to go over there to have me see this land when I visit.  I think I will have to give her maybe on this idea.  And just rent somewhere for a while.

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »
I\'d recommend renting for 6-18 months.......

What sort of price is the lot going for.......unless it\'s an absolute steal WAIT!!!

You cannot own land in the Philippines unless you\'re a Filipino.......so you\'d be buying the lot for this girl you barely know......

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »
I\'d recommend renting for 6-18 months.......

What sort of price is the lot going for.......unless it\'s an absolute steal WAIT!!!

You cannot own land in the Philippines unless you\'re a Filipino.......so you\'d be buying the lot for this girl you barely know......

Very good point, and well taken, thank you.....

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
I think my gf who I have been chatting on line with wants me to buy some land on Bohol, she want to live there,  her aunt in Germany has some land for sale but the cost seems somewhat step for my budget, I\'m going to have to talk to her about that.  I think that is why she wants to go over there to have me see this land when I visit.  I think I will have to give her maybe on this idea.  And just rent somewhere for a while.

I hate to say this, but to me that is a red flag IMO. Unless you know the girl very well, she is basically asking you to buy land for her and from her aunt and probably at an inflated price. She thus thinks you are a rich foreigner and in my mind, is trying to take advantage of you since she knows you cannot own land. Tell her no for sure and that you will not buy anything until you have had your feet on the ground for at least a year there and looked around and made a decision on where you want to live.

First thing you are going to have to do is make contacts and check prices of property in different places and check costs of building and find a good builder by recommendation, and then IMHO you can think about buying land. Renting first gives you a chance to learn where you might want to live, and be sure to spend a lot of time with your lady to see if she is the one. IMO have a few ladies to talk to and see which one pans out. Be careful, there are a lot of scammers and her asking you to buy land already before knowing you in person, would worry me, but it depends on how that conversation came about, her idea or yours?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
Good information for anyone going to Bohol.  Keep the thread going...my vacation starts 1 September... ;D...and the more I know about the island, the better.

Thanks

Greg.. 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
Take your own vehicle to Bohol... I took my multicab for about 1800 each way inclusive driver.. landing and departing at Tubigon.   Bohols highways are nice and wide open.... w/o  my own wheels we never would have seen so much off the beaten path.   Bohol is great...hmmmm is a move on the boards???

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »
Take your own vehicle to Bohol... I took my multicab for about 1800 each way inclusive driver.. landing and departing at Tubigon.   Bohols highways are nice and wide open.... w/o  my own wheels we never would have seen so much off the beaten path.   
Bohol is great...hmmmm is a move on the boards???

Shhhhhh