Author Topic: Ball park figure for exterior grade plywood  (Read 3404 times)

Ball park figure for exterior grade plywood
« on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:38 PM »
1/4\" thru 1/2\"

Any online stores in RP? With prices?

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Ball park figure for exterior grade plywood
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »
Its called Marine Ply, comes in 1/4th, 10mm and 3/4ths, 1/4th about 470p a piece, 10mm about 660p 3/4ths about 760 upto 850p for a 4 x 8 sheet.

Those prices are from Catanduanes, but I found similar prices here in Manila.

The local hardware carries tons of the stuff, half the houses in the provinces are built from the stuff.

Wayne
Wayne† ;D ;D

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
is OSB available there?

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »
Marine grade plywood comes in DIFFERENT grades as I have found out and some are NO different then standard plywood at a higher cost, even with a marine sticker on the product!!

When you saw some plywood, (marine or not), more likely then not, you will find a void of glue and that\'s what you will work with. Adding a water based product as a finishing, blistering of the other wood can be a problem also!!
B-Ray†

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
Hi B-Ray-Marine plywood or exterior plywood is bonded using phenolic resin (Phenol Glue) whilst Interior plywood is bonded using urea resin (Urea Glue). The only difference in grading should be the surface skin i.e. decorative finish.All plywood whether using it internally or externally should be coated in either varnish or paint especially the edges as that is where water is likely to ingress.
The same would apply to OSB (Orientated Strand Board) always paint/varnish it when using it.
Hope this helps when making your choice.
From someone who used to make the stuff in Nigeria for Unilever.
Kind regards.
Jim.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 07:41:14 AM »
Thanks Jim for the information.

What you know about plywood and glue may not be so here in the Philippines or at lease in parts of the Country, from what I have dealt with. In fact, I do not use plywood any more! Hardi-flex is my choice these days and easy to work with. I do use 3/4\" ply-board and even with that, I find voids of wood and/or glue when cut.

A product called Ready-Fix what we use, mainly used to bound new to old concrete, hollow blocks and tiling over old tile, works great with loose plywood and clamping for a couple of days.
B-Ray

Hi B-Ray-Marine plywood or exterior plywood is bonded using phenolic resin (Phenol Glue) whilst Interior plywood is bonded using urea resin (Urea Glue). The only difference in grading should be the surface skin i.e. decorative finish.All plywood whether using it internally or externally should be coated in either varnish or paint especially the edges as that is where water is likely to ingress.
The same would apply to OSB (Orientated Strand Board) always paint/varnish it when using it.
Hope this helps when making your choice.
From someone who used to make the stuff in Nigeria for Unilever.
Kind regards.
Jim.

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:48:08 AM »
Hi B-Ray- I would imagine that the majority of plywood for sale is more like regrade or reject from how you describe it. Nowadays most people use Chipboard or MDF here in the UK which tends to be more uniform in construction.
Can you describe what you call Hardi-flex?
Kind regards.
Jim.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
Jim,

This looks like an ad disguised as a news article, but here goes...

Billy

Not very many companies in the world can produce the same fiber-cement building materials that donít have cancer-causing asbestos and provide the same protection from damages caused by fire, moisture, and termite attacks as James Hardie products.

James Hardie, indeed, has become a trusted brand that is highly recognized for product performance. Using the finest raw materials and most exacting manufacturing methods, James Hardieís proprietary fiber cement technologies remain unrivaled anywhere in the world.

In the Philippines, James Hardie continues to bring in Australian technology to protect Filipinosí single and most important investment, their homes. The company was established locally in 1996 with the mission to market and manufacture high quality fiber cement products for the local market and the region. As success came one after the other, a world-class fiber cement plant was built in 1998 in Cabuyao, Laguna, making James Hardie one of the significant Australian investors in the country.

MORE
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 03:21:30 AM »
Hi Billy-Thanks for the information we call that board Cemboard (Cementbaord).  http://www.rcmltd.biz/rcmcem.cfm

Regards.
Jim.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
Guys,

† †  Just remember to wear protective breathing gear if you are cutting Hardieflex. James Hardie Australia moved their operations to (if I remember correctly) Sweden or somewhere in that area to try and get around a multi-billion $ class action due to the workers in their plant in Australia contracting Asbestosis. A singularly dreadfully painful disease, where in the end your hooked up to oxygen to breathe because your lungs a clogged.
† †  Chopped asbestos fibres were used in mixing with the cement to produce this and other products, and when the article is sawn or otherwise cut fibres float in the air for you to breath in. I have no idea if they have changed their procedure, I hope so.

Graham†