Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Trading labor for rent  (Read 3087 times)

Offline quadwilly

Trading labor for rent
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:26:56 AM »
Wow... I guess I will stop complaining about construction and negotiations here in the States.... I am beginning to think Gil and I (should we land in the Phils) will rent!

Which is interesting in its self... as both Gil and I were lic building contractors for 20+ years. But perhaps we can find a care taker job with someone for a couple of months each year to off set out SS? What do ya think guys? Labor for food and lodging? But of course we would need to bring our tools, by what I have been reading!

Re: Trading labor for rent
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
I hope you find such an agreement!

I wonder if such a place with some quality, could be found and held for 10 months out of the year for your return? Or, do you hope to bounce around?

We have made an agreement with one of your renters to hold the place for 3 months at a reduced rate. We don\'t have a vacancy problem,† we just want him back. He has agreed,† ;D
B-Ray

Wow... I guess I will stop complaining about construction and negotiations here in the States.... I am beginning to think Gil and I (should we land in the Phils) will rent!

Which is interesting in its self... as both Gil and I were lic building contractors for 20+ years. But perhaps we can find a care taker job with someone for a couple of months each year to off set out SS? What do ya think guys? Labor for food and lodging? But of course we would need to bring our tools, by what I have been reading!

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »
quadwilly wrote;

Which is interesting in its self... as both Gil and I were lic building contractors for 20+ years. But perhaps we can find a care taker job with someone for a couple of months each year to off set out SS? What do ya think guys? Labor for food and lodging? But of course we would need to bring our tools, by what I have been reading!†

Hmmm.  Are you thinking of returning to the US to work for two months each year?  Or do you mean working in the RP?  If the latter, be advised that it is illegal to work while on a tourist visa.  What type of visa do you have?  Even merely labor for food and lodging can be considered employment.  All it will take is for a local to see that you have taken a job that he/she could do and that\'s when you\'ll be reported.

You may want to read through this part of our forum about working in the Philippines;

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/board,128.0.html
Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline quadwilly

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:55:07 AM »
Yeah I know not to work on a tourist visa... Read LOTS on that topic... and don\'t want a \"job\" per-say either.

Just was thinking more like a \"friendly helping hand\"..in the form of handyman stuff done in exchange for a 59 day stay as a vacation to get to learn the Islands. More like a trade for their B&B type arrangement. We even cook for fun ....
Just a thought circulating in my pea brain, if by chance we like the Phils, once we have visited there in Nov. 

We have done this before in the pacific NW and it was a great arrangement/experience... and was ask by others to return. I leave for AK tomorrow for 10 days (with hubby) on the same kind of arrangement with a twist.... My husband is a sweet guy and we are always helping someone (usually older people- since we live near Sun City). We are going to Oregon in Sept to help one of my single woman friends HS who has fallen on hard times.
She had this happen just resently.

http://www.kgw.com/news/neighborhood-news/salem/Police-Random-shots-hit-home-in-Santiam-Valley-100400279.html

Just a thought I would throw this out there... If it doesn\'t seem like a good idea... well, no foul.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:27:01 AM »
Anything is possible................PERIOD ~~NEVER~~ give up hope on an idea!!!!† ;D

Volunteer work, (even for R&B), can be shared by many† like minded World Wide!

Members on this board or anywhere Else you might post your quest just might have a spare room for such an arrangement?
B-Ray

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Thats a cool idea. There is also the house swap people trade homes for vacations. http://www.homeexchange.com/?gclid=COK6pbzXuqMCFUNB6woda2odbg

Your poor friend in Oregon.  :(

Offline quadwilly

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
Thanks guys... sounds good! Home exchange??? Interesting concept!