Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Carpenter for hire?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
Carpenter for hire?
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »
Ok, does anyone have a good carpenter/construction contractor in the Albuera or Ormoc City area? Just looking to spruce up my girlfriends house, and it seems that since my last visit, everyone local is giving her the Kano discount (add % here...lol).  Looking at work for an electrician, plumber, mason, and carpenter.

Thanks for any help you can give me... 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
Re: Carpenter for hire?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »
Hi Griz,

My wife hired a great carpenter to add built in shelfs, cabinets, bed etc..and  I think he was from Kananga... not sure if he is still available or would work in Albuera.   This guy was meticulus and a steadfast tradesman.   Are you still looking for someone?

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Samatm,

Thanks for the reply. So far, we have been doing well hiring craftsmen to do the work. We phased the work to finish one part of the house at a time. First done was kitchen, 2 CRs, and a bedroom.  We now have the crew extending the bedrooms, sala, and installing another dirty kitchen. We found out a lot of things completing the first part of the house. Hire by the day, make a list of materials you need and purchase in bulk (reinforcing rebar went up almost 40% in a few months...cement went up about 10%!), make sure you get what you want (they were going to use 9mm rebar for verticle support on the walls, we made that 12mm, 2 every meter of block).  So far, everything is working out and we are compiling a list of who is good, and who isn\'t. Hopefully, someone will need that information in the future and we can help them out.

Thanks again.

Greg   8)

Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:19:31 AM »
Er..Um...
Greg... In the 3rd pic...
Is that wiring up to code?...

LOL ;D ;D ;D
Just messin with ya...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:20:52 AM »
Ha, Ha....yeah, my first words when they relocated the meter to that wall was \"If that thing comes off the wall and zaps me...you all are fired!!!\" They laughed...and said not to worry...just temporary sir!!.  Still, can\'t wait until its all done...its been a drain on my savings...and I only have 9 more years to retire... 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline lwood

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
How much are you paying a craftsman per day?  Just curious

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
We have just begun the remodeling of our families houses in Novaliches.  We\'re adding a second and third floor to two adjoining structures making them one big structure.  The head superintendant, my brother in law\'s cousin, gets P450 per day, the carpenter gets P350 and the two laborers are paid P250.  We also provide a lunch and merienda for each as well as all the water they can drink while working.  My brother in law\'s sari sari store also gets their business after work for cigarettes, beer, gin, etc.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »
We have just begun the remodeling of our families houses in Novaliches.  We\'re adding a second and third floor to two adjoining structures making them one big structure.  The head superintendant, my brother in law\'s cousin, gets P450 per day, the carpenter gets P350 and the two laborers are paid P250.  We also provide a lunch and merienda for each as well as all the water they can drink while working.  My brother in law\'s sari sari store also gets their business after work for cigarettes, beer, gin, etc.

7 years ago we paid P300 for Carpenters Welder etc and that was without food. I would imagine the prices are a little higher now.

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »

7 years ago we paid P300 for Carpenters Welder etc and that was without food. I would imagine the prices are a little higher now.

Colin

Yeah, like P350 + food, in Manila mind you.  ;D ;D  YMMV in your area.

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »
From what I have been told, we pay the lead craftsmen (plumber, mason, electrician) 300p per day (the neighbors say we are crazy because they would work for 250p a day), 150p for laborers.  The most expensive is the guy that did our tile work, but it was well worth it...350p per day. We also let them run a tab at the sari-sari that is no more than what they would make in 2 days work.  We give them small meals and water each day and on payday (saturday afternoon) we bring out a few Red Horses and everything is good... 8).

Still, we have decided to hire an architect and contractor to build our retirement house in a few years. Just less of a headache if you have someone you trust watching over the workers.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
Looks like the key is be on site , or someone you trust needs to be on site. stillbilly

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
Looks like the key is be on site , or someone you trust needs to be on site. stillbilly

Bingo!  Exactamundo buddy!