Author Topic: Shipping items FROM the Philippines  (Read 3083 times)

Shipping items FROM the Philippines
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
There seems to be volumes of information about shipping items into the Philippines but very little about getting our stuff back out once it is here.  After living in Cebu for 2 years I must go back to the states and need to send the equivalent of a balikbayan box to my US address before I leave here. 

I found one shipping company but they want almost US$300 to ship 20 kilos.  I guess I can load up 2 large suitcases and try to take it with me but I am afraid that CebuPacific won\'t even let me take both of them to Manila for my outbound flight.  Basically, I have some heavy stuff that I shipped here in a BB 2 years ago that I want to take back to the states with me.  Any suggestions?   ???

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Shipping items FROM the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »
DHL ships 25 kilos for about $100 from Manila to USA

using THEIR box.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »
There seems to be volumes of information about shipping items into the Philippines but very little about getting our stuff back out once it is here.  After living in Cebu for 2 years I must go back to the states and need to send the equivalent of a balikbayan box to my US address before I leave here. 

I found one shipping company but they want almost US$300 to ship 20 kilos.  I guess I can load up 2 large suitcases and try to take it with me but I am afraid that CebuPacific won\'t even let me take both of them to Manila for my outbound flight.  Basically, I have some heavy stuff that I shipped here in a BB 2 years ago that I want to take back to the states with me.  Any suggestions?   ???

Cebu Pacific allows 15kg for free and charges P120 per kg overweight on domestic flights.  I know they allow at least 15kg overweight.  So up to 30kg should be ok.  (My luggage was 29kg one time.)

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:27:59 AM »
Thanks, dylanz.  I will try DHL.  I hope their rates out of Cebu are as low since getting my stuff to Manila might be a problem.  If suzukig1 is right about a 30 Kg limit on Cebu Pacific then I MUST find something because I have more than that to take back. 

Anyone else with ideas?

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
Thanks, dylanz.  I will try DHL.  I hope their rates out of Cebu are as low since getting my stuff to Manila might be a problem.  If suzukig1 is right about a 30 Kg limit on Cebu Pacific then I MUST find something because I have more than that to take back. 

Anyone else with ideas?

JeffB, You should call Cebu Pacific to find out the extra baggage weight limit.  I said at least 30kg total because that\'s what I experienced before.  I don\'t know the maximum.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
9 years ago we shipped a whole 20 foot container back to the UK from the PI, for just $1400.

6 months ago we shipped one back to the PI, but it cost us $5000  :o

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »

Anyone else with ideas?

JeffB, You should call Cebu Pacific to find out the extra baggage weight limit.  I said at least 30kg total because that\'s what I experienced before.  I don\'t know the maximum.
Definitely.  I plan to do that.  The carrier I use will likely be the one with the highest limit.

I tried the DHL website.  To ship 25 kg in a package 75x50x50 cm to the states costs an astounding 21,040 PhP!  That is for air express, which I do not need, so I am waiting for a reply to my request for an estimate for ocean freight.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
I tried the DHL website.  To ship 25 kg in a package 75x50x50 cm to the states costs an astounding 21,040 PhP!  That is for air express, which I do not need, so I am waiting for a reply to my request for an estimate for ocean freight.

I must then assume that $100+ quote I got in person was for ocean then.

Try a local Philippine DHL office. They have price sheets at the front counters and their own boxes ready to ship. I did almost cut my price in 1/2 by simply removing a few articles from my box... I was a fraction of a kilo over the weight limit.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:30 AM »

I must then assume that $100+ quote I got in person was for ocean then.

Try a local Philippine DHL office. They have price sheets at the front counters and their own boxes ready to ship. I did almost cut my price in 1/2 by simply removing a few articles from my box... I was a fraction of a kilo over the weight limit.
I printed out a list of the DHL locations and plan to go to one today.  My own experience with ocean freight is that it doesn\'t matter what the parcel weighs.  All they care about is the dimensions.  I sent a ton of books from Cebu to Tacloban a few years ago and all they cared about was volume.  It was VERY cheap.  I think it was Trans-Pacific or Trans-something.  International shipping could be different because it does need to be shipped overland when it reaches the US, and I know they don\'t use multicabs

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »
I tried DHL but they don\'t do it.  DHL USA declined the order because the contents were personal effects.  They referred me to another company who gave me this port-to-port estimate -

Dimension of available box: 53 x 47 x 53 cm (no charge)
Ocean freight: Usd 140.00 per cbm (maximum of 4 boxes)
Docs: Usd 30.00 per bl
Export docs processing fee: Usd 20.00
AMS: Usd 25.00
DDC: Usd 31.00
All in rate:  Usd 246.00

Sailing: Every Thursday or Sunday weekly
Transit: 30-40 days approximate
Route: Cebu-Singapore-Oklahoma port
Cut-off docs: Wed for Thu sailing / Fri for Sun sailing
Cut-off cargo: Wed for Thu sailing / Sat for Sun sailing

I think that I need to keep looking.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
I tried DHL but they don\'t do it.  DHL USA declined the order because the contents were personal effects.  They referred me to another company who gave me this port-to-port estimate -

I shipped posters, books and trinkets with DHL. These were personal effects. A different DHL branch may work... ALSO ! For contents I HAD to change the wording... I mentioned a \"necklace\" was in there - they REFUSED JEWLRY without some hoopla ! I paid like 30 pesos for it ! SO I listed a keychain or something next time...

In some past threads we see many examples of a cashieer who has a hard time with our english - they simply refer us away... instead of admit they do not understand us.

try it sometimes...  go find a UNIQUE item in a store... then come back a day later and ask if they carry that item.... good chance you will hear NO STOCK SIR...

Even when you know its there...

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »
In some past threads we see many examples of a cashieer who has a hard time with our english - they simply refer us away... instead of admit they do not understand us.

try it sometimes...  go find a UNIQUE item in a store... then come back a day later and ask if they carry that item.... good chance you will hear NO STOCK SIR...

That was the bane of my life in early days, when asking shops for unusual bike/car parts.

Your average Filipino simply hates to say \"I don\'t know\" but they can oh-so-easily say \"no\".  ;D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 05:17:29 AM »

Sailing: Every Thursday or Sunday weekly
Transit: 30-40 days approximate
Route: Cebu-Singapore-Oklahoma port
Cut-off docs: Wed for Thu sailing / Fri for Sun sailing
Cut-off cargo: Wed for Thu sailing / Sat for Sun sailing

I think that I need to keep looking.

You know I have always loved the seacoast back in Oklahoma.   :D   Isn\'t the port somewhere around Tulsa?  Or is it in Enid?   ::)

Yes, if they\'re shipping to a port in Oklahoma then you better keep looking.   ;)
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
You know I have always loved the seacoast back in Oklahoma.   :D   Isn\'t the port somewhere around Tulsa?  Or is it in Enid?   ::)

Yes, if they\'re shipping to a port in Oklahoma then you better keep looking.   ;)

Actually, there is a designated port in Catoosa (Tulsa area) but the shipment they are proposing is to the one in OK City, which really sucks because I need it in Broken Arrow, which is very close to Catoosa. 

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member