Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: A trip Zambales  (Read 1900 times)

A trip Zambales
« on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
We took the car to Pandaquit to see a friend who lives up there. It\'s about a two hour drive from Angeles, up the SCTEX from Clark. First half is easy, as the SCTEX is empty, but after reaching Olongapo it turns into the usual Filipino road free-for-all.

The place we stayed, The Patio Inn, could have been great accommodation, but the maintenance and upkeep was done to the usual Filipino standards ie: none, so it was a bit of a shambles. 1500 pesos for a night, a bit expensive for a somewhat scruffy room.

The beach in Pundaquit is gravel, rather than sand, and the waves a bit rough for comfort, but it was a good fun for a day or two. Sun was beaming down at a million degrees.  ;D

We took a Banca boat out towards a cove nearby, Anuwag Cove. There is no road to get there, so it is either by boat, or a 6 hour hike over the hills.

Our banca was quite small, but had the loudest motor I\'ve heard on a boat. I had to put my fingers in my ears all the way, as I already have industrial deafness and tinnitus, and don\'t want it to get worse.

We pulled onto one small beach on the way, totally empty, peaceful, deserted, but ten minutes later another banca arrived, pulled up ten feet from us, and disgorged fifteen shouting, yelling squealing Filipinos!?!?

Why would they do that? Why would they park right next to us, on an otherwise empty beach? We loaded back into our boat and left ten minutes later. I wanted a peaceful quite secluded day out, not a rock concert.

We then headed to Anuwang cove, which was a bit crowded and still a bit noisy, but not so bad,and it had real sand and no big waves. We spent the rest of the day there, had great fun, ate loads, rolled in the sea, swam down and found fish etc. Our daughter had a Spongebob Squarepants henna tattoo as well.  :o

The tattooist:

Moi:

Mango tree:

Cashew nut tree:

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
Re: A trip Zambales
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »
Hi K H,

Thanks for the post, and the photos. You and the family appear to have had a great time in a great place.
I will have to mention to my gf in Manila that we should take a side trip there when I next get to the Philippines.

Tommy

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »
Tommy, it is well off the beaten track, and not really on any map I could locate on the web. As you drive north towards Iba, from Olongapo,  you pass San Marcelino, then the next small town is San Antonio, and you need to turn left there just past the town hall and ask directions really.

There are loads of beaches up that stretch  coast, some you can find just by driving along and hanging out the window sniffing for the sea.  ;D

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
Thanks for the additional info KH, I will certainly make an effort to go there the next time I am in the Philippines.

Tommy