Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Subdivisions or not  (Read 19934 times)

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
Re: Subdivisions or not
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »
We are in a crown Asia built subdivision.† We have a kind of high HOA fee but it goes for the security guards, new storm water sewer, gardens, 5 parks, pool, tennis court, basketball court, and bus service.† My wife has served on the HOA board, and the HOA meetings are more of a social cocktail hour for the neighborhood. The HOA president is a retired engineer and since he has the most free time he took the job.†

Jeepenys, Tricycles are banned, storefronts, sari sari stores are banned.† There are several businesses in the neighborhood but they are so discreet that you would not know they were there.† A artist studio, lawyer worki g from home, architect working from home, dog kennel, dentists office, and CNC machine shop all in the neighborhood.† no one has signs out front advertising.†

The dog kennel I might add is disguised as a enormous luxury house.† They have the place air conditioned, sound proofed and load the animals inside a closed garage.† Some pretty expensive dogs I guess.†

After living in Cubao with the sewage running in the gutter, and tricycle stand in front of the house not to mention the rat and roach problem, I got fed up and moved to suburbia.† A comparable neighborhood in Arizona where I used to live would cost 3-4 times what we got in Antipolo.

We have good schools close by and shopwise is up the street.† Still have the damn rooster problem as they are on the other side of the fence.† So tempted to get a pellet gun at times.†

There are some vacant homes that are repossessed or abandoned.† The HOA does basic† grass mowing to keep the jungle in check there and the squatters stay away.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:20:46 AM »
Hi Metz. So if you take a tricycle from the shops to your home, you have to alight at the subdivision gate? How do you get to your house, especially if you are laden with purchases? I think I prefer more down-market subdivisions that are not so regulated. And I find nearby sari-sari stores more of a convenience than anything else. But I suppose everybody has their own preferences, that\'s why not every place looks the same.

Richard

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 03:45:24 AM »
We have bus service inside the subdivision that doubles as the security patrol vehicle.  

That said, we drive where we need to go.  Gas is cheaper than tricycle and jeep fare when you have wife and 2 kids going out somewheres, not to mention trudging around in the rain sux.

The houses all do not all look the same.  We have Japanese, California Spanish, Stucco, Tile, Brick, Stone houses.  Most residents take great pains to out do each other in the landscaping and ornamental work.  

There is a American style sari sari store just outside the gate, shopwise and budget lane supermarkets are only a few min away by car or bike.

We banned tricycles and jeepeneys asides from owner jeeps that a few residents have, due to smoke belchers, and crime.  I mentioned in other post that there are a lot of ABS-CBN actors, PBA players, businessmen, and politicians. who are residents.

Security is a big issue with me considering my day job and what I had to do to earn the money to buy my house in the first place.

I could have never afforded to live in a neighborhood like this in Phoenix where I lived before becoming a expat without going heavily into debt.  

Its not perfect.  the internet service is slow, the water and electricity service go out more than we would like, but I have all the comforts of America with half the cost of the US and access to a market of 16 million people.

As a serial entrepreneur, I appreciate the contacts I make by living where I do.  The value from that alone is worth the price of the house.

Remember the threads about how things work in the Philippines.  It is all personal.  Peoples networks and relationships.  If you wanna be successful in the Philippines you have to be born into it or buy your way into it.

here is a house next door to mine.  for some reason I cant upload a pic of my place.  http://www.oocities.org/biadorealty/cottonwood.htm  People start out with this as the basic model and then turn it into something nicer.  We dont have American HOA rules BS. But we do have things in place to keep the neighborhood nice.

here is a pic taken in front of my driveway.  

This is a old photo cause it has my old ford pickup I sold in 2009 shown parked in the vacant house driveway next door.†

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »
Hi Metz, thanks for the info.

Yesterday I took a look at a couple of subdivisions in Laguna (Santa Rosa area). One was brand new, in fact there are no houses built yet apart from the show houses. The other is a mature estate (so mature that parts of it are crumbling already) from the same developer. Both of these subs ban jeepneys and tricycles and run an 8 pesos shuttle service from the gate, for people travelling without a car. I wouldn\'t want to live in either of these places, the houses are just too far from the outside world, but it was interesting to see the house designs. It got me thinking maybe I can build a house and incorporate some of their ideas in the design. I intend to do some floor plans and get quotations from contractors, I believe it will be much cheaper than buying a house and lot package.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
Hi Metz, thanks for the info.

Yesterday I took a look at a couple of subdivisions in Laguna (Santa Rosa area). One was brand new, in fact there are no houses built yet apart from the show houses. The other is a mature estate (so mature that parts of it are crumbling already) from the same developer. Both of these subs ban jeepneys and tricycles and run an 8 pesos shuttle service from the gate, for people travelling without a car. I wouldn\'t want to live in either of these places, the houses are just too far from the outside world, but it was interesting to see the house designs. It got me thinking maybe I can build a house and incorporate some of their ideas in the design. I intend to do some floor plans and get quotations from contractors, I believe it will be much cheaper than buying a house and lot package.

Richard

Many years ago we had an agent take us on a tour of subdivisions south of Manila down to Tagaytay. I was not at all impressed with most of them; smallish Philippine style houses (negligable Kitchens) tiny lots with no garden and the houses very close to each other. Some of the long establishes phases had ugly hollow block walls, cars in the street with kids playing because the communal areas were not sufficient.

We rented in Ayala Alabang for a year 2005-6, and the house was a long long way from the gate, there was a service to the gate, but you really needed a car.

I took lots of photos of houses with the same idea, for inspiration for my own house design. I have them posted on Flickr and was going to post a link to them, but unfortunately my pro account has expired and they will only let me see the latest 200 photos and they are not amongst them. I don\'t now use Flickr so don\'t want to spend $24 just to get at them. I am looking into the possibility of setting up my own independent web site so maybe I will include a good photo section in that.

Colin

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »
Colin, do you have a Facebook account? You can upload as many photos as you want to FB, free of charge. Just ignore all the other Apps that want access to your personal info. A bare FB account is good enough for online photo albums that only your friends can access.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
Colin, do you have a Facebook account? You can upload as many photos as you want to FB, free of charge. Just ignore all the other Apps that want access to your personal info. A bare FB account is good enough for online photo albums that only your friends can access.

Richard

Yes I do have a Facebook account, but I very rarely look at it, it is just not my scene. I could also upload the photos to my web site which I may do later, the problem is finding the time to load them into Photoshop to tidy them up, reduce the size etc. Maybe I will look at it in the next day or two.

Colin

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »
the problem is finding the time to load them into Photoshop to tidy them up, reduce the size etc. Maybe I will look at it in the next day or two.

Colin

Yes I understand that. Many people just upload all their raw images, but I like to adjust exposure, maybe crop and sharpen, and then downsize the pictures before uploading. Anyway if you do manage to upload them somewhere, please let us know.

Richard

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:47 AM »
I like Ayala Alabang also, nice area, good schools for the kids.†

As far as developers go, Stay away from Sta. Lucia, they never complete anything, just take the money and run.

Crown Asia where we live has done a pretty good job, although our HOA president had to lean on them hard to finish what they promised.† We have a lot of green space incorporated in the neighborhood.† there were also a lot of vacant lots purchased for speculation that prob will not be built on any time soon.†

There are several bank foreclosures in the older phases of development that look kinda gnarly, the HOA does cut back the weeds on them but thats about it.† Several handyman specials could be picked up for somewhere in the low 2 million range or less.† They would need basically pressure washed completely out, mildew treatment, painting, landscaping, and new ceiling panels to be livable again.†

Overall compared to other developments is is a pretty good value.† It is not Corintian but then I don\'t have a million dollars to get in that place except to visit.

My brother inlaw has a really nice townhouse style condo for sale in QC.† They got a place in Makati so they don\'t need that one anymore when they come to visit from the US. My sister in law really did it up nice, has a fireplace, hardwood floors.† she duplicated her house in NJ.† The place is a bit crowded for my taste however.† They do have a nice clubhouse, and security.† There are no bare concrete walls or that sort of thing, but there are a few sari sari stores.†

The residents are mostly middle level bureaucrats from the congress, small business people and lots of Koreans.†

For my money, I would look at Antipolo in the crown asia development.† Mille Luce was really nice, they have a upscale commercial section in front of the development, the back lots have a view of Manila lights at night.† They did the houses in a Italian style with the round turrents in front, and most houses have basements there.

I wish I would have known that a basement was a upgrade when I purchased I would have gotten that along with cathedral ceilings in the second floor.† However I purchased and a month later I was living in a tent in the desert for my job with the wife supervising things.†

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
the problem is finding the time to load them into Photoshop to tidy them up, reduce the size etc. Maybe I will look at it in the next day or two.

Colin

Yes I understand that. Many people just upload all their raw images, but I like to adjust exposure, maybe crop and sharpen, and then downsize the pictures before uploading. Anyway if you do manage to upload them somewhere, please let us know.

Richard

Richard, I have just uploaded 30 photos of houses in Ayala Alabang here http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/photos/album/199725/Ayala+Alabang+Houses. I have not added any titles or descriptions yet but may do that later. Some of them may need a little more work on them and I may also incorporate them in my house design section.

Colin

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
Small | Large
  here is a tour of my neighborhood.

Ayala Alabang is nice as well. 

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
Thanks Colin, there are some nice places there. Although I find this one a bit wierd, they have blocked the windows with big columns???

http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/photos/album/199725/Ayala+Alabang+Houses/photo/13194384/-

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
Thanks Colin, there are some nice places there. Although I find this one a bit wierd, they have blocked the windows with big columns???

http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/photos/album/199725/Ayala+Alabang+Houses/photo/13194384/-

Richard

That is my favourite, and the columns also stop short of the roof ::)† Maybe just a new take on window blinds ;D

I have also got photos of the Princess of Brunei\'s house somewhere, I will add it later when I find it.

Colin

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:22:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5QgLRVAgI&feature=youtube_gdata_player  here is a tour of my neighborhood.

Ayala Alabang is nice as well. 

Thanks Metz. How big is that place in antipolo? It seems to go on forever!

Richard

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
It\'s maybe 150 houses there.† 3 phases, the oldest phase is about 15 years old.† 3 clubhouse, pool, tennis court, basketball court, several parks.†

The residents are a mix of local celebs that you don\'t see much except at church services in the clubhouse. Small business owners, some politicians, Koreans, a couple Europeans, and a couple Americans.

If you look at google earth in Antipolo Rizal, the subdivision is just a bit south east of assumption college.† There is Woodberry directly to the east of Assumption and our development is close.† Both are by the same developer, Woodberry houses are a bit smaller, and more expensive than what we got in 2005.†

Depending pn your budget, there are a few houses in the 8-10 million range, a few handyman for closures, and a few mid range places like mine.† The house up the street for sale is 97meters floor space, for 3.9 million. The owners can\'t afford to commute so far with gas prices now.† As far as I know the house really only needs a good painting, as in the Philippines houses need repainting frequently to look nice.