Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Subdivisions or not  (Read 19936 times)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
Re: Subdivisions or not
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 03:47:31 AM »
I think the thing to remember is not that it is just a choice of sub division or not. There are good sub divisions and bad. Similarly a house built on land you purchase can be heaven or hell, depending on what and who surrounds it. I would advise anyone making a choice to do a bit of homework before making up their minds, and take note of all the pros and cons given in this forum. Knowledge is king!

In our own circumstances I wanted to get a house near my wifes family (but not too near!). We live in the UK at the moment but when I retire soon we want to divide our time between the 2 countries. So a sub division made more sense from the security point of view. And also I just did not want the hassle of commissioning a house build on our own land. I have the greatest admiration for those who do, and I am sure they all end up with houses built to a better standard than ours will be.

We wanted a house in the San Fernando area of Pampanga, and there are endless sub divisions being built there. Most were beyond our financial means but one development featured 1,2 and 3 bedroom houses and was very active. Not like some of the more upmarket ones we saw where the houses were in isolation on almost deserted sub divisions.

Our house is now 3 months into the estimated 5 months they said it would take to complete. I am no expert but I would advise the following for anyone planning on having a house built on a sub division:

Firstly check that houses are being actively built, is there an office on site, is there plenty of activity.

What is the quality. Check around, maybe other developments by the same company. We had relatives on an adjacent sub division who could set our mind at rest - at least as much at rest as one can be for houses built there.

We also got the land checked out by a contact at the local town hall, ensuring it was properly registered etc.

It may be worthwhile using an agent, though their quality is variable. We had a brilliant one, she even passed back to us some of her commission (around P35K) and had negotiated a 5% discount from the full price.

We got everything in writing from the developers, where we made amendments etc.

My wifes family go regularly to check up on things, and an engineer friend of theirs goes occasionally to check. we pay him a small fee for each visit. Unless you buy a standard house design I would not recommend leaving it to the developers, we wanted the kitchen extended at the back. Only from regular photos sent back did we realise they had completely forgotten that.

Only when they were doing the electrics did we realise it was not an earthed system. We managed to stop them in time.

As the house progresses there are bound to be a few things you want amended/altered. Be prepared to pay extra for this, and check it is done. Our family is now visiting almost daily to check things.

If you buy a standard 150sqm plot be aware you will have no garden as such, and neighbours very close.

It is worthwhile asking for freebies. We are getting one free aircon, and the family have wrung a couple of concessions when they queried the high price of extras. For instance the extra cost of an earthed electrical system was offset when they agreed to include wiring to the front wall posts for the lighting we plan later.

For information we purchased a 256 sqm plot, and are having built a 3 bed/3 bathroom house, with balcony, lanai. Total cost P3M (plus a few extras). Can\'t wait until we visit it next autumn time.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 06:21:22 AM »
Good post Paul. The developers will promise you the moon until you commit to the purchase. After that, it\'s up to you to make sure they deliver, so it is great that you have family nearby who can keep checking what\'s going on.

Richard

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
Thank you so much for your vey informative post Paul!  I\'m certain we will all be looking forward to hearing more as the work progresses  Include some pictures.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »
Paul,
   I\'m retiring Aug 31 and we\'re going to be going over part time starting next year. Although renting initially, my wife wants to eventually buy a house. We lived in Angeles in the 80\'s and are looking at the Angeles/San Fernando area. Can you give us a ballpark figure of what the cost would have been where you\'re building for a standard plot/house?

Mike
Mike from San Antonio

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Paul,

Do you recall the price for the lot itself?  I\'m curious as to how much per SqM the land is in the developed area.

Thanks!   :)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »
Mike - in the sub division we bought on the cost of our house on a standard 150sqm lot was about P2.6M. The house is 118sqm floor area, 3 bedrooms & 3 bathrooms (no baths just showers!). This is the largest house being built on this sub division. Smaller 3 bed houses from about P1.7M. Prices may have gone up by now

There are a lot of new and not so new sub divisions  along the McArthur Highway between San Fernando and Angeles. Our sub division is cheaper than others because we did not have direct access to the the McArthur Highway  However, what swung it for us was the fact that an access bridge over a river was built which gave that direct access. As mentioned above we had an excellent agent who helped us, obtaining a discount and helping with all the initial queries we had. If you want her details any time let me know, she will have a range of properties available in many of the local areas.

Jack - the cost of plots on our sub division was P4k sqm, though we got it for P3.8k. So a standard 150sqm plot would cost P600k. This is lower than for some other developments, and plots in adjacent sub divisions cost P6k with plot/house combinations accordingly higher.

I will try and post a couple of photos in another post, don\'t want to lose this one whilst trying!

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
I LIKE not seeing the neighbours. I LIKE privacy and quiet. I have no interest in a bunch of neighbours swinging by every few hours to gas bag and disturb the peace. I don\'t want to hear their dogs bark, their cockerels crow, their karaoke ripping into my ears.

If I had my way I\'d buy an acre of rice paddy halfway up a mountain, build a walled castle, with a huge workshop, and live in peace and quiet. When I wanted company, I\'d drive out and visit people.  ;D

But, I am out voted by the family, so we do live in a sub div, we do have neighbours, we do hear their cockerels and dogs and music and horns at 4am etc etc...  :(

We just bought land in a sub division too, so there isn\'t going to be a castle on a mountain any time soon.

As usual, I\'m a little late getting to this post, but I have to ask...Why the heck didn\'t you just buy a lot in West Texas?

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »
I LIKE not seeing the neighbours. I LIKE privacy and quiet. I have no interest in a bunch of neighbours swinging by every few hours to gas bag and disturb the peace. I don\'t want to hear their dogs bark, their cockerels crow, their karaoke ripping into my ears.

If I had my way I\'d buy an acre of rice paddy halfway up a mountain, build a walled castle, with a huge workshop, and live in peace and quiet. When I wanted company, I\'d drive out and visit people.  ;D

But, I am out voted by the family, so we do live in a sub div, we do have neighbours, we do hear their cockerels and dogs and music and horns at 4am etc etc...  :(

We just bought land in a sub division too, so there isn\'t going to be a castle on a mountain any time soon.

As usual, I\'m a little late getting to this post, but I have to ask...Why the heck didn\'t you just buy a lot in West Texas?

Apart from the fact that KH is no longer a member of this forum, he is married to a Filipina and comes from the UK, so why would he want to live in West Texas ???

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »

Apart from the fact that KH is no longer a member of this forum, he is married to a Filipina and comes from the UK, so why would he want to live in West Texas ???

It\'s the only place I could think of that would satisfy all his desires.  ::)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 01:49:56 AM »
Just a note to our newer members.  In every post you will see the avatar of the poster to the left of your page.  Under their name you will see what their \"status\" is with the group (newbie, full member, Moderator, etc)  If you see \"guest\" under the name, this means they used to be a member but either resigned or for one reason or another  or was \"removed\" from the group.

Their posts remain for the sake of useful content and to maintain the flow of info, our primary purpose here.  Sometimes you\'ll find a post that looks totally out of place.  If you see one of those click on the \"report to moderator\" link in the lower right of the page.  One of the Mods will check it out. 

We often perform housekeeping duties on the Forum and many old posts will have bad links removed or other maintenance tasks performed to keep us operating as smoothly as possible.  :)

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
G\'day all,

Having read the thread, I can honestly say for our part, that I would neither live in gated subdivision or bother with buying a lot and the hassle here of trying to build a decent house on same.

As I said in my initial \'Meet your Neighbours\' post I am city born and bred.  With my partner we have bought a two story condo in Malate, Metro Manila.  We have absolutely no trouble with neighbours, I think I play my music louder than anyone else does here, in fact they all seem to use their balcony as a dirty kitchen.

Such is life, love the convenience of walking to the mall etc, and the view from the balcony over Manila Bay when having a few coldies watching the sun set is priceless for me.  I do understand tho all you guys that want to get away from cities, but at least here we are hours away from his family, lol.

Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
Just a note to our newer members.  In every post you will see the avatar of the poster to the left of your page.  Under their name you will see what their \"status\" is with the group (newbie, full member, Moderator, etc)  If you see \"guest\" under the name, this means they used to be a member but either resigned or for one reason or another  or was \"removed\" from the group.

Their posts remain for the sake of useful content and to maintain the flow of info, our primary purpose here.  Sometimes you\'ll find a post that looks totally out of place.  If you see one of those click on the \"report to moderator\" link in the lower right of the page.  One of the Mods will check it out. 

We often perform housekeeping duties on the Forum and many old posts will have bad links removed or other maintenance tasks performed to keep us operating as smoothly as possible.  :)

You talkin\' to ME? (NY accent)  :D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 04:45:19 AM »
You talkin\' to ME? (NY accent)  :D

Fuggeddaboutit!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline lanhawk59

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
Yes there are pluses and minuses in living in a guarded subdivision. We rented for over a year while looking around. In the end we decided to live just outside Bacolod in Talisay in a new subdivision. We picked this subdivision because 1) we could build our own house not one selected by the subdivision, even a napa hut if we so choose. 3) It allowed us to build a store within our house 4) It was away from Bacolod so the air is cleaner and not as congested. On the downside, we don\'t have a pool, we have guard huts but they are unoccupied except for the neighborhood kids. There are a few illegal homes ( those without building permits) in various stages of construction and have been that way ever since I started building there. Most have purchased lots on the 5 yr. payment plan so in about ten years we will probably move and build again. :lol:

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
Definitely in a gated community that we were able to afford and that we are living in today, but before we did we made sure it was with a reputable land developer/contractor which had tight controls and building restrictions that no one can just build and or paint their homes in outlandish colors as to make the subdivision more appealing of uniformity to all living here! Also our HOA has a CC & R rules and regulation handbook to follow for every tenant to abide by! I will not live in gated subdivision that has no peace and order! Granted that there has been a few owners who resisted and didn\'t follow some of the building restriction codes and or the HOA CC & R rules, but luckily they followed the color scheme of things in order to blend in with the neighborhood theme when construction initially started 16 yrs ago which the theme was of a \"Mediterranean\" style group of homes with Spanish style roofs of different shades for the 4 different floor plans that was available! Add on extensions to the homes were permissible as long it conformed with the building codes, theme and design within the community! We have a day/night full basketball court, a clean community swimming pool with 2 clubhouses, one covered for outdoor use and the other an indoor clubhouse that is air conditioned for multi-function events and or activities suitable for the space!        
We have lived in our gated subdivision for 15 years now and we\'re here to stay, because we are pleased and content with the way our subdivision has turned out!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!