Author Topic: Shipping Containers for housing  (Read 3817 times)

Offline B.Wolfe

Shipping Containers for housing
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »
Has anyone any information about using used shipping containers to construct a home?† It is done in other countries, and I think it may be a good option in RP. What do you think?

Offline Oztravels

Re: Shipping Containers for housing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »
I would but I get sea sick† ;D (sorry couldn\'t resist) ::)

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
Has anyone any information about using used shipping containers to construct a home?† It is done in other countries, and I think it may be a good option in RP. What do you think?

Living inside a metal box in the tropics does not seem a good idea to me. I can\'t see any real advantage, except perhaps it would solve the termite problem† ;D

Colin

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
It might be good to house pigs though.† Put one in there and come back in a few hours and it\'s already lechon!†  :D ;) ;D
Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:51:30 AM »
So, you have solid steel boxes, and you need to fasten them together, put windows in, and doors, run plumbing, wiring, insulate them etc. I fail to see how this could be anywhere near a viable proposition unless steel containers were the only thing available to you.

I see some countries where people live inside concrete drain pipes..... ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline B.Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:17:20 AM »

Living inside a metal box in the tropics does not seem a good idea to me. I can\'t see any real advantage, except perhaps it would solve the termite problem† ;D

Colin

The containers can be bought in either steel or aluminum, and some of them are insulated, but if not, insulation and location in the shade would be a smart idea. Both types are very easy to secure, so for those who are not always around, the security is good. You can also group them for larger structures

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 04:06:14 AM »
I bought a used 40\' container ($150) in \'95 and converted into office+workshop in Florida.......never found it too hot......small room a/c unit cooled the office area sufficiently

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:07:58 AM »
Thise pics don\'t look to shabby Rufus.

Come back and ask me again after we have built our house here, as I might tell you it is a great idea then.† ;D

I wonder what the cost would be, in the PI, of trucking and crane hire to relocate the containers to a suitable site? I feel a couple of 40 x 8 secure workshops coming on.....

Offline Chasereo

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Yes...Take a look-see here...
http://www.cwcwaketv.com/index.php?option=com_datsogallery&func=detail&catid=55&id=2053&Itemid=109

That is FANTASTIC! I have several ideas floating around in my head now! So many possibilities...
I\'m from the government, and I\'m here to help...

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:19:31 AM »

Come back and ask me again after we have built our house here, as I might tell you it is a great idea then. †;D

I wonder what the cost would be, in the PI, of trucking and crane hire to relocate the containers to a suitable site? I feel a couple of 40 x 8 secure workshops coming on.....

I couldn\'t live in one of those......OK for a weekend break but this............

OR THIS

....I could DEFINITELY go for †:)

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »

Come back and ask me again after we have built our house here, as I might tell you it is a great idea then. †;D

I couldn\'t live in one of those......OK for a weekend break but this............

OR THIS

....I could DEFINITELY go for †:)

A shade ( ::)) to much glass for the Philippines, it will get very hot when the sun hits it, but I guess the pool will compensate.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

A shade ( ::)) to much glass for the Philippines, it will very hot when the sun hits it, but I guess the pool will compensate.

Colin

And to me those house also look like a pile of containers, all straight edges, sharp corners, flat tops etc.† ;)

Modern design I guess, but not really my cup of tea.

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »

A shade ( ::)) to much glass for the Philippines, it will very hot when the sun hits it, but I guess the pool will compensate.

Colin

And to me those house also look like a pile of containers, all straight edges, sharp corners, flat tops etc.† ;)

Modern design I guess, but not really my cup of tea.

Different strokes for different folks

I\'m not into faux spanish designs myself

Colins comments about too much glass could be obviated by extending overhangs on south facing walls.......
certainly an issue on lower floor of two storey buildings but not such a big deal on single storey buildings

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
I\'m not into faux spanish designs myself

Nor am I mate, but the boss has decided what \'we\' want, and it is easier to fight the battles I can win.† ;D

As long as it has a large workshop I don\'t really mind what the house looks like.† 8)