Author Topic: 2011 Philippines monthly living expenses  (Read 11227 times)

Re: 2011 Philippines monthly living expenses
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
.....Richard - Definitely keeping in mind some emergency cash, I understand how important that is - though probably not entirely until I\'m in an \"oh *** situation\". ...........  Not really thought about medical costs, and hoping I won\'t have to... But knowing my luck  :P

Coming from the UK it is easy always subconsciously assume there will be someone there when you get in trouble, when you need an ambulance, or a doctor etc. So in the third world it comes as a bit of a shock when you have an accident, or get seriously ill, and find that there is no 999 to call, that the emergency services won\'t come rushing to whisk you away to hospital on a phone call.

And when you do get treated, there WILL be a bill waiting to be paid, in cash, before you can leave the premises.

My elderly mum in law had a small emergency, four weeks ago, started off as  a foot infection, but complicated by diabetes it led to a week in hospital. Muggins here had to cough up over £1500  before we could collect her from the hospital.

Cheap by American standards, expensive if you are used to UK living, and hellish expensive if you are living on £500 a month.

Just something to bear in mind.

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 10:37:33 AM »
Halibaitor - Yup, fair point! Two things I definitely intend to avoid - doing anything illegal and \'stepping on the toes\' of any pinoy entrepreneurs, from what I\'ve read here on the forum and a few other sources, that can be a potentially dangerous move  :-X

It appears that I used an unfortunate phrase.  I didn\'t mean that any of the pinoy would physically beat you, but I guess that *might* be possible.  What I was thinking of was that they would outwork you at whatever it was you were attempting to do.  And they would do it for far less money than you would be willing to work for.  A lot of pinoy work a hard ten hour day for as little as 200 pisos (sometimes less).  And they are supporting a family on that...   :o  It\'s hard to compete with them at that rate.

You need to be doing something they can\'t, like your online endeavors.

Offline CanoNoMo

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
dont forget your bi-monthly visa extention fees... roughly $500USD/year   
Ain\'t Life a Beach!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
And when you do get treated, there WILL be a bill waiting to be paid, in cash, before you can leave the premises.

That used to be the case but is illegal practice now... Patients can no longer be held hostage for cash..

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

That used to be the case but is illegal practice now... Patients can no longer be held hostage for cash..

So I would guess that nowadays they\'ll do something to ensure they get their cabbage before they start sinking large sums of money into emergency operations and treatment.

AUF hospital in Angeles demanded we pay up front when the MIL needed an emergency operation. We needed to clear her current running bill, plus the costs of the planned operation. If I hadn\'t been able to wire money in immediately they would not have operated, and her life would have been at risk.

Lots of things are illegal in the Philippines, but....  ;)

The niece who lives with us actually works in that hospital, so she negotiated a 30% discount for us as well. Cool.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

So I would guess that nowadays they\'ll do something to ensure they get their cabbage before they start sinking large sums of money into emergency operations and treatment.

AUF hospital in Angeles demanded we pay up front when the MIL needed an emergency operation. We needed to clear her current running bill, plus the costs of the planned operation. If I hadn\'t been able to wire money in immediately they would not have operated, and her life would have been at risk.

Lots of things are illegal in the Philippines, but....  ;)

The niece who lives with us actually works in that hospital, so she negotiated a 30% discount for us as well. Cool.

Doesn\'t Philhealth knock another 30-40% off too?

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »

If I understand that law correctly, it does not apply if you are in a private room. 

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
Which law you two talking about?

Offline dutch expat

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
I think it\'s the Republic Act No 9439  An act prohibiting the detention of patients in hospitals and medical clinics on grounds of nonpayment of hospital billes or medical expenses.  http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2007/ra_9439_2007.html

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:02 AM »

We heard that after the bill arrived, so my wife has just enrolled with them for any future events, as it covers all family members. It is very inexpensive apparently.

Wife and I get medical insurance off my company, but it doesn\'t cover the mum in law.

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
I think it\'s the Republic Act No 9439  An act prohibiting the detention of patients in hospitals and medical clinics on grounds of nonpayment of hospital bills or medical expenses.  http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2007/ra_9439_2007.html

That\'s the one.  I was referring to the last sentence in Sect.2.

I\'m guessing their logic is that if you are rich enough to have a private room, then they can hold you hostage, because you can obviously afford to pay.  Another case of \"Only in the Philippines\".

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 05:10:21 AM »

We heard that after the bill arrived, so my wife has just enrolled with them for any future events, as it covers all family members. It is very inexpensive apparently.

Philhealth P100/month payable quarterly

I don\'t believe it covers the household.......In your wifes name, it\'ll cover you and your kids to 21 years old, but I think the m-i-l would need to have her own policy.

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »

Philhealth P100/month payable quarterly

I don\'t believe it covers the household.......In your wifes name, it\'ll cover you and your kids to 21 years old, but I think the m-i-l would need to have her own policy.

I think Bings mother was covered by her eldest sons Philhealth for her cancer treatment recently. Bing does have Philhealth but leaves that side of the arrangements to the rest of the family as their contribution.

Colin

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
Philhealth covers your whole family- If the head of the family gets enrolled in PhilHealth, the whole family is automatically covered by health insurance.
The coverage would include the spouse, all legitimate and illegitimate children below 21, and parents over 60 years old.
The main enrollee would get a maximum of 45 days coverage for in-patient care and the dependents can get another 45 days, which is shared between them.

http://victorlamadrid.blogspot.com/2011/02/six-great-reasons-to-enroll-in.html

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
Philhealth covers your whole family- If the head of the family gets enrolled in PhilHealth, the whole family is automatically covered by health insurance.
The coverage would include the spouse, all legitimate and illegitimate children below 21, and parents over 60 years old.
The main enrollee would get a maximum of 45 days coverage for in-patient care and the dependents can get another 45 days, which is shared between them.

http://victorlamadrid.blogspot.com/2011/02/six-great-reasons-to-enroll-in.html

Thanks Ron. I\'m pretty sure the wife thought that, but I was not positive.

It would have taken a large bite out of the 100,000+ bill I paid last month.