Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Wrangler style Jeepney builder in Cebu?  (Read 24019 times)

Wrangler style Jeepney builder in Cebu?
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
Any leads guys?

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
Re: Jeepney builder in Cebu?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
As far as I know, most of the builders down there are one-off shops.  But since a jeepney is a constant do-it-yourself project anyway (I didn\'t say that, Ed Sarao did), here\'s an interesting posting I found:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/193941/Jeepney+(Private+Used)

Roll it home for less than a $1000, might be worth a thought.
That\'s not chicken.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Jeepney builder in Cebu?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »
As far as I know, most of the builders down there are one-off shops.  But since a jeepney is a constant do-it-yourself project anyway (I didn\'t say that, Ed Sarao did), here\'s an interesting posting I found:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/193941/Jeepney+(Private+Used)

Roll it home for less than a $1000, might be worth a thought.

One careful owner,tax,licenced and and smooth runner. New tyres with red coloured alloy wheels.Spare 60% worn.
Fully loaded. light scratch on offside wing panel..
35,000 Pesos..Bargain.

Re: Wrangler style Jeepney builder in Cebu?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »
I\'ve clarified my search now....WRANGLER /CJ style builders

Ixnay on the trucksay sorry for the 10-26

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
A couple of years ago these wranglers were all the rage in our area (Cavite)..I really wanted one but I was talked out of it by my car dealer/mechanic friend..
I would be interested in where this thread leads as I still might get one when I move to the visaya`s.

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37:38 AM »
Fred;
What were the reasons given by your cardealer/mechanic for not getting the jeep?  What was the price for the jeep at that time, or now, if you know?   ???
Thankyou!
Arlie

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »
He said it was because of spare parts availability.. Im not sure what he was talking about now as Im pretty sure most of them have Pajero engines..
I`ll see him today or tomorrow so I`ll ask him again and post his answer.. 2 years ago the one I looked at was P350,000.  As I mentioned..2 years ago they were everywhere..Now I rarely see them.

BTW..The Pajeros that he`s selling have gone up by almost P100,000 in the last 6 months due to new licensing issues..They seem to be having nightmares getting them licenced and registered at all just lately..
I think that the government have put heavy restrictions and bans on imported second hand surplus vehicles..

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
Fred:
Here I go showing my ignorance again.  What is a Pajero?  My wife just saw this and says it\'s a car in the Philippines but that is all she knows about it.  Could you add to that a little bit.  Is this one of those used cars they are importing from Japan and updating for left hand steering?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Arlie:

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
Arlie..
My neighbour converts about one every two months(right hand drive,Japanese Mitsubishi surplus)..When he is finished with one (at least 10 years old) it almost looks new..
They are very popular 4X4`s here..
I have heared a few horror stories about the quality of conversions done in Subic though.
IMO most second hand vehicles here are expensive but that is because of the import charges,registration etc. In the UK you can get them for half the price.

Here`s a couple of sites that advertise used cars in RP.
http://www.adpost.com/ph/vehicles/Vans__RVs/20/
and here
http://www.autolink.ph/stocks/list.aspx?nTypeID=2

Sorry I still havent seen him(mechanic/dealer)...When I do I will ask him your question..

Cheers,

Fred.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:09:27 PM »
I have a Pajero with the steering wheel on the left side, and it was imported directly from Japan. There was no conversion. It\'s been a terrific car.

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 02:08:57 AM »
Michael;
Where if I may ask, did you purchase your Pajero?
Does any one have any information on the Toyota Lucida which looks good on the internet but may or may not be up close.  I am in the U.S.A. and am trying to get a preliminary idea where to look when I get there for a vacation.  We will be staying in Pangasinan so getting to Manila is a real hassle and I don\'t want to have to do it too often.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Arlie

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:13:09 AM »
Michael;
Where if I may ask, did you purchase your Pajero?
Does any one have any information on the Toyota Lucida which looks good on the internet but may or may not be up close.  I am in the U.S.A. and am trying to get a preliminary idea where to look when I get there for a vacation.  We will be staying in Pangasinan so getting to Manila is a real hassle and I don\'t want to have to do it too often.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Arlie

Guys,

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. The Mitsubishi Pajero (aka Shogun) is available as an imported/converted 2nd hand vehicle (usually badged MMC) and also as built here in RP & sold from new. Check out their website & this with some as new 2nd hand available also:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.ph/html/price/price.php

As for where to buy, both types are readily available through any number of ads & dealers

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »
It is called the Mitsubishi Montero here in the states cuz pajero is a derogatory slang word in spanish

Rufus
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
It is called the Mitsubishi Montero here in the states cuz pajero is a derogatory slang word in spanish

Rufus

Rufus,

Love the definition of Pajero in Spanish. I call the drivers that every time I come across one  ::) ;D

By the way, the Montero is sold here but it is slightly different to the Pajero in that it has a lower roof & sportier looks.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.ph/html/lcvs/montero/index.html

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »
The Montero you speak of is sold in the US as the Montero sports edition, the Montero / Pajero is only sold in the US in a Gas Guzzling Petrol Version. I owned one and it returned a healthy 10 mpg in town and 12 on the open road. It has a 3 liter V6 and really needs a 4.7 liter V8 Turbo Diesel like the Land Cruiser, I would not own one here as there were constant problems with the automatic transmission.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D