Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Day Trip - Sights of Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Day Trip - Sights of Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:25:31 AM »
While visiting Vigan and our cousins in San Ildefonso, we decided to take a small road trip through Ilocos Sur and into Ilocos Norte to see some of the sights of interest, including 2 beaches; Pug-Os, Cabugao and Coral Beach, Currimao. 

We ate Pinakbet Pizza and Dinuguan Pizza at the Herencia Cafe in Paoay.  They had really cold beer, too!

We also visited the reconstructed ancestral home of national artist Juan Luna, in Badoc, the historic Paoay Church, and the resthouse of the Marcos family, known as The Malacanang of the North, along the shores of Paoay Lake.

Enjoy the rest of the photos!
https://picasaweb.google.com/109312597545453393235/RoadTripToIlocosNorte?authkey=Gv1sRgCIyS0MqkrOGnMQ

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
Re: Day Trip - Sights of Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »
Great pictures! I almost feel like I\'ve been to the area now.

Mike
Mike from San Antonio

Offline Tally J

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:30:23 AM »
Finally, I get to see the inside of the Paoay Church.  It was not open the day I went there several years back.  Your pictures bring back many fine memories of our trip from Angeles City to Laoag at the north tip of Luzon. Thanks for the great photos!  Hopefully we will be retiring in the Philippines within the next two years.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:27:48 AM »
Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures, Jack.   :)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:02:28 AM »
Thank all of you for the compliments on the photos.  I did my best to capture the details. I almost wore out my poor little camera on this trip.   ;D

If any of you do decide to visit the church or the area in general, don\'t pass up the Herencia Cafe.  It\'s directly in front of the church.  Awesome food and some of the coldest beer I had the pleasure of drinking. Very nice people there!

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Jack, i really enjoyed the pictures(not a bad trade that beautiful sight for three mile island)..lol..and it beats the heck out of hays kennedy park...hahahaha.
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
Jack, i really enjoyed the pictures(not a bad trade that beautiful sight for three mile island)..lol..and it beats the heck out of hays kennedy park...hahahaha.

Shortman, I was in heaven, dude!  All I had to decide was what I would eat, drink and where.  The rest of my day was spent having fun with my two girls (Mom and Gloria) and finding new places to get a good, cold beer.   ;D

I also discovered some awesome people.  I had several conversations with locals who were very happy to spend time talking with a foreigner who wasn\'t after anything, other than a cold beer.  And all of them were very helpful in that area, as well.  Seems I had more in common with them than even they imagined.  We found that we all loved our family very much and would do anything to help them.  I found myself agreeing with them on most things, protecting the local habitat for fish, birds and mammals, educating our children so they could have a better life and preserving pieces of history for our grandchildren.  I enjoyed very much a long conversation I had with a jeepney driver the day we all went to Subic Bay.  He said I was the first foreigner he had ever had a conversation with and he was enjoying it.

Yes, I loved every minute, especially when we arrived in the area where Gloria\'s family had their roots.  I absolutely understand why they love it so much and now know where I\'ll be making my next home. 

It\'s gonna be tough sitting here in the US, watching it rain and feeling it getting colder every day.  No leaves on the trees, gray skies... everything looks dead!  Yuuck!   :P

Where\'s the number for that travel agent?   ;)     

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
While visiting Vigan and our cousins in San Ildefonso, we decided to take a small road trip through Ilocos Sur and into Ilocos Norte to see some of the sights of interest, including 2 beaches; Pug-Os, Cabugao and Coral Beach, Currimao. 

We ate Pinakbet Pizza and Dinuguan Pizza at the Herencia Cafe in Paoay.  They had really cold beer, too!

We also visited the reconstructed ancestral home of national artist Juan Luna, in Badoc, the historic Paoay Church, and the resthouse of the Marcos family, known as The Malacanang of the North, along the shores of Paoay Lake.

Enjoy the rest of the photos!
https://picasaweb.google.com/109312597545453393235/RoadTripToIlocosNorte?authkey=Gv1sRgCIyS0MqkrOGnMQ

takes a while to get to some of the stuff on this site sometimes.....superb picture wolf.  this trip really touched a nerve with you.

rick
B E   O F   S I N G L E    A I M  ;   H A V E   A   L E G I T I M A T E    A N D    U S E F U L  
P U R P O S E   A N D   D E V O T E   Y O U R S E L F   U N R E S E R V E D L Y   T O   I T

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:13:14 AM »
takes a while to get to some of the stuff on this site sometimes.....superb picture wolf.  this trip really touched a nerve with you.
rick

Rick,

It did way more than that, my friend.  We had been planning to visit our cousins in Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte for the last several years.  We finally got to do our road trip this past October. 

The cousins were awesome in their generosity and hospitality, setting new marks for how to make a \"visitor\" feel special.  The heritage city of Vigan completely blew me away with it\'s sights, sounds smell and taste.  I virtually consumed the city in every way I could.  I highly recommend adding Vigan to your bucket list.

But it was when we got out of the city and really took in the sights that I fell completely in love with the area.  The roads are clean, wide and almost identical to the rural roads in my home state of Kentucky.  The people were so laid back and friendly I never felt out of place anywhere I went.  We didn\'t specifically visit any of the more well advertised beaches, but the beaches we did stop at were clean, uncrowded (virtually deserted) and full of sea life.  The air is so clean there my lungs felt twice as big as before.  I slept like a baby every night. 

The food is incredible!  Nothing like Manila or Cebu.  The cuisine of the Ilocano people who inhabit this wondrous area is so different, so tasty, very tangy, some even spicy.  And let me tell you all, you haven\'t eaten until you\'ve had an Illocano style empanada.  It\'s hard to describe, but they are flaky and filled with Vigan longanisa and fresh veggies mixed with egg.  Sounds strange, I know, but they\'re the most delicious empanadas I\'ve ever tasted. 

Other foods were similar in their unique character.  Has anyone else eaten pinakbet pizza?  Or dinuguan pizza?  Probably not, unless you\'ve also visited this magical land. 

I didn\'t want to leave!  They drug me away kicking and screaming!   ;D  Well, not really, physically.  But inside I was torn, thinking I might never return to the wonder of the area known by many as the Philippine Riviera.

Yes, it touched a nerve with me.  A nerve that is still twitching and I fear it won\'t stop until I return \"home\" to Ilocos Sur and begin building my dream home.  sigh...

10 months, 22 days until retirement... and counting down     ;)   :)