Author Topic: The Place Is Starting to Get to Me  (Read 31254 times)

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
Re: The Place Is Starting to Get to Me
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2008, 05:09:50 AM »

The one thing that I do not hear anyone mentioning about the amount of GDP that is being spent on education and I feel it would give a better picture instead of saying 3% or 6% of a countries GDP.  Because if you look at the USA\'s
GDP for instance compared to the Philippines GDP, the USA has a much larger GDP than the Philippines. So, if you say that the USA spends 6% of its GDP and the Philippines spends 3% That does not mean the Philippines spends half as much as the USA does, They spend much less than that. I have looked but cannot find GDP\'s for both countries, it seems each website gives different numbers.

So for every $100usd the USA spends, the Philippines spends closer to
$20, not $50 and substract from the $20 the portion of that, that never makes it to the schools and the portion that does make to schools but not to the students. 

If I am way off course here please let know.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Sorry but you\'re way off. The US and most Western countries as well as Japan spend somewhere between $8,000-$10,000 (depending on what\'s factored in and whose numbers you believe) per child per year. Malaysia spends more than $4,000 and Thailand and Vietnam spend almost $3,000. The Philippines spends about $120.

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
Lets not worry about what others do, lets just make sure we do whats right.

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »

And when we do what is right and others see how we are blessed for doing right they will want to do the same!

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
Sorry but you\'re way off. The US and most Western countries as well as Japan spend somewhere between $8,000-$10,000 (depending on what\'s factored in and whose numbers you believe) per child per year. Malaysia spends more than $4,000 and Thailand and Vietnam spend almost $3,000. The Philippines spends about $120.

Michael,

To add some levity to this, you should check out the Youtube link placed by aerosick:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=1696.0

Offers a slightly different view of how the money is used in Western countries   ::)

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
I think this may be one of those aphorisms that sound wonderful but don\'t mean much in this context.

Offline wfox11

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2008, 12:09:05 AM »

I have looked but cannot find GDP\'s for both countries, it seems each website gives different numbers.

Here ya go: http://www.umsl.edu/services/govdocs/wofact2003/rankorder/2001rank.html
Ronald Reagan said \"sometimes our right hand doesn\'t know what our far-right hand is doing.\"

« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2008, 07:24:24 AM »

I have looked but cannot find GDP\'s for both countries, it seems each website gives different numbers.

Here ya go: http://www.umsl.edu/services/govdocs/wofact2003/rankorder/2001rank.html

Can someone explain how the Philippines ranks 26 out of 231  ??? The OFW do a lot but not this much. Saudi, Malaysia, UAE, Singapore are all listed below and Taiwan only just above!

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »
Keith wrote;
Can someone explain how the Philippines ranks 26 out of 231   The OFW do a lot but not this much. Saudi, Malaysia, UAE, Singapore are all listed below and Taiwan only just above! 

Just looked at the link.  Those are 2002 numbers, already 6 years old.   :(  And they\'re estimates at that.   ::) 
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline wfox11

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2008, 09:11:29 AM »
Here\'s more recent data, straight from the CIA.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

The PI is between Switzerland and Nigeria. Seems about right.
Ronald Reagan said \"sometimes our right hand doesn\'t know what our far-right hand is doing.\"

« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »

Can someone explain how the Philippines ranks 26 out of 231  ??? The OFW do a lot but not this much. Saudi, Malaysia, UAE, Singapore are all listed below and Taiwan only just above!

My question still stands or is it something to do with the comment \"GDP (purchasing power parity)\"

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
Since this whole thread started by addressing Corruption in the Philippines:

MANILA, Philippines -- \"Despite the much-publicized efforts by the Arroyo administration to curb corruption, foreign businessmen perceive the Philippines to be the most corrupt economy among 13 countries and territories across Asia\".

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view_article.php?article_id=54661

Of course, this is old news ...

Table of Corruption

Zero is the best possible score:

1: Singapore,            1.13 (1.20)
2: Hong Kong,          1.80 (1.87)
3: Japan,                  2.25 (2.10)
4: Macau,                  3.30 (5.18)
5. South Korea,        5.65 (6.30)
6. Malaysia,            6.37 (6.25)
7. Taiwan,                6.55 (6.23)
8. India,                      7.25 (6.67)
9. Vietnam,               7.75 (7.54)
10. China,                  7.98 (6.29)
10. Indonesia,           7.98 (8.03)
11. Thailand,             8.00 (8.03)
12. Philippines,        9.00 (9.40)

The Philippines is a sad case when it comes to corruption, the consultancy said in a summary report made available to AFP.

The Philippine situation is probably no worse than in places like Indonesia and Thailand, but corruption has become politicized and is openly discussed in the media, unlike in authoritarian countries like China and Vietnam, it said.

The Philippines scored an almost impossible 9.0 out of a possible 10 points under a grading system used by PERC under which zero is the best score and 10 the worst.

In 2006 The Philippine Islands ranked as the eighth most corrupt nation shared by: Swaziland, Guyana, Rwanda, Gambia, Benin, Honduras, Russia and Nepal.

Haiti was the most corrupt nation.

The most honest countries are, Finland, Iceland, New Zealand, Denmark, Singapore, Sweden. Switzerland, Norway, Austria & Luxembourg

Singapore at 1.13 (1.20)was rated as the fourth most honest country in the world.

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2008, 03:15:09 PM »
And if you want a real eye-opener about corruption in the Philippines, read this:

It\'s not pretty ...

GUIDE NOTE: I have edited out the link because it is, to all intent, a blog. Not put together by any respected source that I can see as it refers to \"Philippine Island police\" and \'Philippine Island justice\" not what a journalist or NGO would use when referring to the Philippines. This is one (American?) person, with who knows what his true agenda is (very anti US Embassy also) claiming many things that may or may not be true but without any way of corroborating those claims, this is a dangerous anti Philippines site.
Out of Stock Sir !

« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »
Since this whole thread started by addressing Corruption in the Philippines:

MANILA, Philippines -- \"Despite the much-publicized efforts by the Arroyo administration to curb corruption, foreign businessmen perceive the Philippines to be the most corrupt economy among 13 countries and territories across Asia\".

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view_article.php?article_id=54661

Of course, this is old news ...

Table of Corruption

Zero is the best possible score:

1: Singapore,            1.13 (1.20)
2: Hong Kong,          1.80 (1.87)
3: Japan,                  2.25 (2.10)
4: Macau,                  3.30 (5.18)
5. South Korea,        5.65 (6.30)
6. Malaysia,            6.37 (6.25)
7. Taiwan,                6.55 (6.23)
8. India,                      7.25 (6.67)
9. Vietnam,               7.75 (7.54)
10. China,                  7.98 (6.29)
10. Indonesia,           7.98 (8.03)
11. Thailand,             8.00 (8.03)
12. Philippines,        9.00 (9.40)

The Philippines is a sad case when it comes to corruption, the consultancy said in a summary report made available to AFP.

The Philippine situation is probably no worse than in places like Indonesia and Thailand, but corruption has become politicized and is openly discussed in the media, unlike in authoritarian countries like China and Vietnam, it said.

The Philippines scored an almost impossible 9.0 out of a possible 10 points under a grading system used by PERC under which zero is the best score and 10 the worst.

In 2006 The Philippine Islands ranked as the eighth most corrupt nation shared by: Swaziland, Guyana, Rwanda, Gambia, Benin, Honduras, Russia and Nepal.

Haiti was the most corrupt nation.

The most honest countries are, Finland, Iceland, New Zealand, Denmark, Singapore, Sweden. Switzerland, Norway, Austria & Luxembourg

Singapore at 1.13 (1.20)was rated as the fourth most honest country in the world.

Flt Sim,

This article needs to be looked at in its entirety as key comments have been left out of your extract. For example the article also says:

Inappropriate to compare

Broadfoot said credible corruption trials could convince businessmen that the Philippines was serious about fighting corruption.

The PERC managing director, however, said it might be inappropriate to compare the Philippines’ corruption rating with that of other Asian countries.

“The Philippines’ score was based only on interviews of expatriates in the country. [PERC] did not ask a single group of expatriates to give scores to all Asian countries,” he said.

Broadfoot said it would be better to compare the Philippines’ current corruption rating with its previous scores.

Also, out of 1,476 expat business men polled over 2 months, only 100 were in the Philippines. Remember facts can change minute by minute but perceptions can take a long time to change. I suggest that anyone interested in this should read the whole article in context.