Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Motorcycles in the Philippines  (Read 12672 times)

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
Re: Motorcycles in the Philippines
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
A custom Harley Fat Boy is more my style. So, is it as difficult to import a bike to the RP as it is importing a car?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
A custom Harley Fat Boy is more my style. So, is it as difficult to import a bike to the RP as it is importing a car?

Worse!  There are engine size limitations and the crocodiles who inhabit Philippines Customs will not give you a break.  They routinely charge customs duties equal to the full price of the motorcycle when it was on the showroom floor.  Buy one in country.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »
Ah, are large bikes available there? I would rather be dead than ride a vespa or a dirtbike disguised as a motorcycle.  ;)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
Ah, are large bikes available there? I would rather be dead than ride a vespa or a dirtbike disguised as a motorcycle.  ;)

OMB,

Yes, simply scroll down (or up) to my post with links to Harley-Davidsons for sale.  

No charge for the advice   ---   this time    ;)   ;D

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
K servico has 1000cc Kawasaki Ninja for sale 500k pesos new

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
I must say I am very impressed.  In most forums I have been on if anyone mentions \"Harley\'s vs foreign\" the fight is on.  Glad to see we have some restraint here.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Quote from: \"gbrown6usa\" post=46732
I must say I am very impressed.  In most forums I have been on if anyone mentions \"Harley\'s vs foreign\" the fight is on.  Glad to see we have some restraint here.

Nice avatar pic of your Harley! Here\'s a few of my favorite pics I wished I had when I was younger.
The fastest bike I\'ve ever been on was on a Kawasaki 1100. I\'m too old for any of that now, especially here in the Philippines with all the crazy undisciplined drivers on the freeways!  :blink:    

[attachment=35]Bike3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=36]Bike2.jpg[/attachment]
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:43 PM »
Quote from: \"gbrown6usa\" post=46732

No fight here!  I\'ll be looking for a Harley when I finally settle in.  By the way, here\'s a pic of Gloria on our last Harley-Davidson Heritage Softtail in Panama City, FL a few years back.  We had to give it up due to a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.  She loved that motorcycle and is insistent on us getting another when we retire.  

[attachment=37]GloonHarley-Davidson.jpg[/attachment]

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 02:29:04 AM »
Neat photo Jack, I am not so sure about riding a Harley in the Philippines or what the price might be but I am going to guess pretty expensive. Below was one of my toys in my younger years.

[attachment=39]Cars009.jpg[/attachment]
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »
Nice combination Jack! I hope you find a bike worthy to take the place of that one. I don\'t think I will be riding a bike in the Philippines, not worth the risk, but it seems the perfect weather there for riding during the dry season. Maybe though ....

Mr Lee, one of my dreams during my younger days was to own an \'Easy Rider\' bike. Whilst I ended up owning the Easy Rider video I never got beyond a Honda 250 before marriage and responsible stuff put an end to 2 wheeled aspirations.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »
Quote from: \"paulgee\" post=46745
Nice combination Jack! I hope you find a bike worthy to take the place of that one. I don\'t think I will be riding a bike in the Philippines, not worth the risk, but it seems the perfect weather there for riding during the dry season. Maybe though ....

Mr Lee, one of my dreams during my younger days was to own an \'Easy Rider\' bike. Whilst I ended up owning the Easy Rider video I never got beyond a Honda 250 before marriage and responsible stuff put an end to 2 wheeled aspirations.

Paul

Paul, I had a Honda 350 that I basically did the same thing to that I had done to that Harley Sportster and I rode the Honda to work all the time and only rode the Harley when I knew I was going to be close by to watch it.

I also had a Kawasaki 500 after I sold the Honda and it was fun as long as I leaned forward on it or it ended up on just the back wheel if I was sitting up. The Harley was neat but I think I got the most use out of the Honda, so if I were to buy another bike to use in the Philippines and I seriously doubt I ever would in Cebu City because of how dangerous I feel the drivers in the Philippines seem to be, then I would look for something like the Honda and not something like the Harley, but that is just my personal opinion and I did have a lot of great years riding all of them.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 06:30:37 AM »
I\'ll own another motorcycle, one way (one brand) or another.  Only because I don\'t plan to live anywhere near Manila or any big city.  All of my riding will be outside of the city, going to the beach, visiting a restaurant or two or simply for pleasure.  

To ride in Manila or Cebu you need solid body armor and a large savings account for your injuries. ;)  :lol:

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=46744
I am not so sure about riding a Harley in the Philippines or what the price might be but I am going to guess pretty expensive.
Below was one of my toys in my younger years.

And I thought that was Tom Jone or Engelbert Humperdinck on that Harley!  :silly:  :silly:  :silly:
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
Quote from: \"Art2ro\" post=46749
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=46744
I am not so sure about riding a Harley in the Philippines or what the price might be but I am going to guess pretty expensive.
Below was one of my toys in my younger years.

And I thought that was Tom Jone or Engelbert Humperdinck on that Harley!  :silly:  :silly:  :silly:

Yeah, I recognise him now - it\'s Tom Humperdinck!

Talking of bikes reminds me of one of an abiding memory of the first visit I made to the Philippines. Mrs Gees brother has a tricycle for work purposes, and he took us round locally on it. I remember particularly being sat on the back of it late at night riding round the town, and how warm the temperature, just ideal for riding. I compared this with the UK, where hardly any evening is ever close to being warm. On such moments do we develop fond memories and affections for places.

However, it was pretty dangerous for the unknowing riding round at night there, hardly anyone using lights, dangerously unmade roads and random folk wearing dark clothes as they roam the roads. Happy memories though.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
Thanks but it\'s not a Harley, it\'s a Honda VTX1300. water cooled and shaft driven and over 35000 miles her by yours truely.  I just installed a 240 tire kit before I moved over here.   I had a Suzuki M109 (best bike I ever owned) Wrecked it at about 70mph.  When I woke up I found out I had retired.  So here I am.

This bike is now a dresser, I have thought about bringing it over and selling it.  That is if we are still here after Dec 21st LOL.