Author Topic: Boracay  (Read 3575 times)

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
Boracay
« on: March 23, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »
My wife and I, despite reports of over-commercialization, took a chance and spent 5 nights on Boracay. We found prices from downright cheap through pricey.

White Beach was hot, sunny and ran a bustling trade of vendors in boat excursions, sunglasses, etc. and there\'s loads of scuba outfitters. A short 5 minute walk directly across from White Beach was the relatively quiet Bulabog beach which with a strong ocean breeze, experienced temperatures a good 5 to 10 degrees cooler, giving us the ideal conditions for our stay.

Our host there, Patrick at Boracay Butterfly Garden Cottages, a jolly New Zealander, has nice accomodations for $45 / night with great amenities, kitchenette, air-con, and 90 channels of tv. I highly recommend it.

The onshore breeze shifts at some point during the year for 6 months to the other side of the island then back again. The kite boarders took a great advantage providing us with a show all the days we were there.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.

Offline JT

Re: Boracay
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
Ray, what time of the year did you visit Boracay. We have been thinking about a short vacation there. I† was told to stay away during the Easter season, maybe next January 2009. Can you give the board a few details as to where you travelled from, method of transportation etc. I thought that the price of the place that you stayed in was very reasonable. I certainly will consider that place, do you have the web site or way to contact the owner for reservations? Thanks for information.

JT
Las Pinas

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
One of the things to consider is RP public and religious holidays, stay away anytime there is one nearby, as the place will be packed, also consider the holiday seasons, high, mid and low. We were there for 3 days in February, and it rained for 3 days in February, same 3 days. Just our dumb luck. I would recommend packing light for the trip, getting on and off the island can be a harrowing affair, 99.9% of the time you will get wet. And if you do get there, make sure to visit this place... http://www.craftsofboracay.com/restaurant.html

Its owned by a Brit, Run by an Australian and staffed by Filipinos, if there is something you need the manager can likely get it for you or tell you where to get it. This will include Manila and other parts of RP as he shops all over and does 1 weekly trip to Manila to pick up supplies, believe it or not he is the driver for the company truck.

Wayne
Wayne† ;D ;D

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »
Hi JT, welcome aboard!† The email for the place I stayed is

boracaybutterfly@yahoo.com

and Patrick or his son will field the email. Ask him what the weather\'s likely to be etc. etc.
I think Jan would be an excellent choice. Patrick doesn\'t hike his prices for high season so the rate he\'ll quote you will be the same no matter what time of year you\'ll be going. We went the week leading up to Easter and it was quite busy but according to locals, not as busy as the year before ( economy ).†
For 10 - 20 days leading up to Easter, any resort area in the Philippines is likely to be a zoo, and the closer to, the busier.

We flew on a Seair twin prop out of Clark airfield Luzon cost 8800 peso each (again high season it should be lower for you in Jan). This took us right into Caticlan which is the boat port for the 20 min boat ride to the island. It\'s cheaper to fly from Manila on a jet, but jets can\'t land in Caticlan (short runway). They\'ll land in Kalibo, about a 90 min bus ride away from the boat port. ( disclaimer: I did see 1 small commercial jet land while I was there. It may have been Asian Spirit. Maybe someone has instituted jet service into Caticlan recently. )

One more thing, the port personnel at the jetty, gave my wife a real degrading advertising pitch which spoiled our initial experience there. They asked \"where we are staying in Boracay\" and when my wife replied, They answered with feigned disdain that we should be in cottages \" way over on the other side\". They spoke in Tagolog so I couldn\'t interject. I was helpless as they advised her \"We should get our money back and stay in this place... where the action is\"† which they had brochures for right there. >:( My wife began repeating their spiel with a discouraged look and I felt bad for her though confident I would be proved right in time. And sure enough after we experienced the short 5 minute walk to White Beach, and the Endless Hustle over there, she was very happy we were on the Bulabog side. 8). And the constant stiff breeze on that side made for a great \"air conditioning\" but check with Patrick on the wind direction when you plan to go as it changes on 6 month cycles.

Anything else let me know, Glad to be of service

#editted to add: re-reading Wayne\'s post re: harrowing affair :
The island looks like little more than a stone\'s throw away. True, it is a bit of a balancing act getting on and off the ferry boats. The ride is choppy and the breeze blows up the odd bit of foam on you now and again, but we 2 landlubbers summoned up all our courage and went for it ;D.
We each had fully loaded full size suitcases and there are plenty of Porters happy to load, unload, and carry if necessary for you for about 20 pesos.
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.