Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Solar Panels.  (Read 45165 times)

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Solar Panels.
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
Good solar day for me today   

Just over 23 kWh

Not bad for winter !

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
"
In a Balikbayan box..YES!! "

I think the panels  would be too big for a BB box.

Even if it cost $1000 to ship it up there, it is still woth while.
Might have some issues with customs / import duty / taxes etc......

LL,

if you talk to a BB shipper, like I did, then you can cobble boxes
together to fit an oversize article. They will still only charge you
the same price per box.

eg: if it takes 2 boxes together to fit the article in, then you get
charged for 2 boxes, etc. etc. I did this with my soft side surround
for my waterbed.

Generally, from reading 100's of posts, it appears that BB boxes are
not subject to inspection at all. But, like always, here in the Phil. you
take your chances.

Graham

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »
Graham,
I was not aware that BB boxes could be "combined" to form a bigger box.......
Panels are normally about 1600mm x 800mm x 35mm ( 62" x 32" x 1.4" )  so will need more than a "double" box !
Phil customs does say that goods in a BB Box must be for personal use, not of commercial quantity and less than $500 USD.
Not sure that 20 panels would fit this criterea !!
Would hate to have a couple of grands worth of panels "confiscated" !!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

LL,

if you talk to a BB shipper, like I did, then you can cobble boxes
together to fit an oversize article. They will still only charge you
the same price per box.

eg: if it takes 2 boxes together to fit the article in, then you get
charged for 2 boxes, etc. etc. I did this with my soft side surround
for my waterbed.

Generally, from reading 100's of posts, it appears that BB boxes are
not subject to inspection at all. But, like always, here in the Phil. you
take your chances.

Graham

I dont know what the regulations are for BBs but I constructed a large plywood box to take my dismantled electronic organ. It was well over standard BB size and took four of us to carry it our shippers truck. He arranged for it to go in his container first so that customs were unlikely to empty it to get to it. It arrived without any problems.  Another BB shipper used large rainwater barrels which he said would be useful in the Philippines.

BB boxes can be checked by customs but they very rarely are. As a precaution, we used my wifes maiden name on the shipping documents and they were delivered to one of her relatives

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
As a precaution, we used my wifes maiden name on the shipping documents and they were delivered to one of her relatives

Great tip Colin, Thanks  :D

Offline ronnsb

• Sr Member
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Excellent info on solar power Leinster Lad!

Here in the States, I am seeing more and more solar power for pool heaters, home water heaters, and photo voltaic systems for whole house electricity. Unfortunately for me and many others, the initial costs here are not "there" yet to show a true savings for a long time. I'm waiting to see what happens in the next few years with the solar cells made with magnesium chloride.

Here is a link to one article on it: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/breakthrough-in-solar-panel-manufacture-promises-cheap-energy-within-a-decade-9563136.html

When solar comes down even more in price within the next 5 years or so, I believe there will be substantial increase in solar power use. For now I will keep turning off the lights when not needed and try to conserve as best I can!

Ron in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
As long as we can afford to pay our electric bill, we have no plans for a solar energy system!
Anyway, here in the Philippines, there just aren't enough companies developing/installing solar energy systems quick enough at an affordable initial investment!
Besides, a lot of retirees here in the Philippines often have fixed incomes and can't afford the cost of a solar energy system for their bahay kubo or maybe they can!  :o ;)

http://tinyurl.com/nmg2jea   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:54:20 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
I read somewhere recently, that a gentleman living in
the U.K I think it was, has developed a spray-on solar
system that you can drive on. He has done this on his
property and is receiving encouraging support. While not
fully tested yet, has the potential to be a less costlier
method than the photo-voltaic method, as they are
expensive in the manufacture.

Graham

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »

Offline lelang1130

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
In my native hometown in Camarines Sur, we are now using solar panel in our home. That helped us a lot with the recent Glenda Typhoon. We purchased 80 watts of solar panel costed us about Php5,000 + battery around Php 5,000 and the solar bulbs Php60 each. We can use 12 bulbs of 5 watts solar bulb, electric fan and tv. The bulb used in solar panel is different from the regular bulbs we can buy from the store. In Manila, 1 solar bulb cost Php250.00 but my bro knows a supplier that sells cheaper. My bro installed our solar panel himself, he's kind of a techy guy and we're now  using solar panel as well in our poultry farm. Save's us an electric monthly bill. 

According to my bro, if I would have my entire apartment run by solar panel, it would cost me around Php50,000-Php 70,000. I would need 200 watts x 2 single solar panel to run my 1HP aircon, 1x 7cubic ft refrigerator, LED tv, laptop/computer. I am saving up to be able to do this as this would save me a tremendous amount of money! Without solar panel, I am paying on my monthly electric bill Php6,500!!!
Good, better, best, never let it rest until Good is Better, and Better is Best!

Offline lelang1130

Re:Solar Panels
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
For 8 years, we had been using a generator as a back-up whenever there no power/electricity in my hometown in camarines sur. This year, we had upgraded to a solar panel because solar panels do not require a diesel or petrol to make them work.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:15:48 AM by Diba »
Good, better, best, never let it rest until Good is Better, and Better is Best!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
lelang,
The only difference is, you have a relative who has the technical knowledge and can install your solar powered system inexpensively vs us retirees with no skills would have to hire an expensive solar panel supplier/professional/expert installer!
So, as long as we can afford to pay our electric bill, we foresee not needing to install an expensive solar powered system anytime soon in the near future, unless the cost of those expensive solar powered systems drastically comes down in cost for the average Filipinos and or foreign retirees living on a limited source of income in the Philippines!     
Those who post on here about these expensive solar powered systems are either still working in their home country or semi-retired and just come to the Philippines a few months out of the year and return to their home country and who can afford $10,000 to $20,000 at a drop of a hat to install a solar system, whereas those retired here permanently on a fixed source of income just can't afford to dish out that kind of money and wait 5 to 7 yrs to recoup their investment on their solar powered system! Furthermore, these systems have to be monitored, shut down at night when the sun goes down using backup battery or the normal city electric grid and these solar powered systems have to be maintained properly once in a while and if ignored, it will cost to repair them if they malfunction for some unknown reason!
If and when we retirees are long gone dead and buried, will our surviving spouse know how to operate, monitor and maintain such an expensive solar powered system? I know my wife wouldn't be able to do it on her own, because she is just not the technical savvy type when it comes to a solar powered system! Just something to seriously consider before installing an expensive solar powered system at a late stage of longevity of a retired aged senior citizen! That $10,000 to $20,000 can go towards other things useful and or more important, like medical/funeral expenses for the aged retiree's demise as to not put the surviving spouse into a financial hardship! ??? :o         
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:00:03 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
Re:Solar Panels
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
Lelang, would it be presumptuous to ask how much it cost, and what percentage of your over all power usage it provides? 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:16:06 AM by Diba »
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
I would need 200 watts x 2 single solar panel to run my 1HP aircon, 1x 7cubic ft refrigerator, LED tv, laptop/computer.
I am saving up to be able to do this as this would save me a tremendous amount of money! Without solar panel, I am paying on my monthly electric bill Php6,500!!!

Lelang,  sorry, but 400 watts of solar panels will only output 400 watts of power under ideal conditions.
In the Philippines, 400 watts of panels can be expected, on average, to produce 2000 watts per day.
( average of 5 hours of usable solar insolation per day )

The appliances that you mentioned, would use about....

1Hp A/C  = 0.78 kW = 18.72 kWh/day. Assume it cycles on thermostat at 50/50  =  9.36 kWh/day
Fridge     = 0.2 kW = 4.8 kWh/day.   Assume it cycles on thermostat at 50/50  =  2.4kWh/day
LED TV    = 0.1 kW = 2.4kWh/day.    Assume it is on for 4 hrs per day =  0.4 kWh/day
Laptop     = 0.09kW = 2.16kWh/day. Assume it is on for 6 hrs per day = 0.54 kWh/day

Just these appliances alone would require 12.7 kWh  of power per day.
Your 400 watts of panels will give you about 2 kWh  per day on average ( some days more, some less )

Sorry, but by my calculations, 400 watts of panels is very well short of what is required.
Plus, the panels will only produce meaningful power for about 5 hours per day, you will need to store the rest in batteries,
with some allowance for rainy days, cloudy days, etc.

Just to break even would require 10 kW of battery storage. ( plus chargers and inverters )
This is roughly equivelant to 10 "normal" car batteries. ( reality would triple this number )

You will need to go back to the drawing board.....

Have  a look at your power bill. You will be able to see how many kWh of power you have used over the billing period.
Do the math and figure out your actual DAILY consumption.
Only then can you start to design a system

Offline ronnsb

• Sr Member
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2014, 05:59:28 AM »
Leinster Lad...here I am telling you I can't afford solar, but my girl there in Tapaz just got a 75w solar panel and is adding a battery and an inverter this week. LOL She is ahead of me! They STILL do not have power where she is in Tapaz, and so she will at least be able to charge her phone and maybe her laptop. She does not have internet either. We are hoping to resolve that soon!

I saw your calcs on the appliances and I see what you are saying about 400w not being enough for her.

I am seeing 5kw systems being sold there in the Philippines, but they say you need to email them for the cost of the kit. Let me know if you run in to any decent systems in the 3kw to 5kw range. Got to start out small! :)

Ron in New Smyrna Beach, Florida