Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Solar Panels.  (Read 49485 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Solar Panels.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
This is too high tech for me but you got me curious when you mentioned your problem  finding good distilled water. In the late 80's prior to immigrating here in the US, I worked for the government. At one time we have an outbreak of foot and mouth diseases around the country and we have to do a massive animal vaccination. At the time  we used vials in powdered form and mixed it with distilled water...then we ran out of distilled water. I am not sure how it came about but we were told to use COCONUT water as an alternate for distilled water. Sounds funny huh but hey..think about it...coconut water is the cleanest water on earth!

Coconut water may be bug free etc but it does contain other things

quote:
Coconut water has a high potassium content and contains antioxidants. It also contains cytokinins which promote plant cell division and growth. Other biologically active ingredients in coconut water include L-arginine, ascorbic acid, magnesium etc.

I don't think it would be the ideal thing to put in a lead acid battery.

Offline Pulalei

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 03:50:38 AM »
Ok got it. Coconut water...wonderful fluid for life huh. Better not waste on batteries then. Thanks!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:00 AM »
Only drink the young coconut (buko).  The older coconut milk doesn't taste as good as fresh buko juice and acts as a laxative.

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:40 AM »
Ahhhh laxative what's that? Is that similar to relax? lol

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
 Similar, but it only effects certain parts of your body, But better not get too relaxed, or youll wind up doing laundry and a little house cleaning.

Offline Pulalei

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
Similar, but it only effects certain parts of your body, But better not get too relaxed, or youll wind up doing laundry and a little house cleaning.

And if you suffered dehydration as a result...revert back to drinking young coconut water! Like Manong Colin said it's high in potassium, magnesium, etc, etc....it's the natural intravenous fluid or to be precise... coconut IV.

I better get my butt out of here....sorry guys for interrupting with my silly talk.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:07:56 PM by Pulalei »

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

And if you suffered dehydration as a result...revert back to drinking young coconut water! Like Manong Colin said it's high in potassium, magnesium, etc, etc....it's the natural intravenous fluid or to be precise... coconut IV.

I better get my butt out of here....sorry guys for interrupting with my silly talk.
I've been dehydrated a few times...not fun. What helps me is a 1.5L bottle of Gatorade. Yes it almost P70 but it works. God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »
I've been dehydrated a few times...not fun. What helps me is a 1.5L bottle of Gatorade. Yes it almost P70 but it works. God Bless.....

Fresh buko juice is higher in electrolytes than Gatorade and tastes better!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
yes Buko dont have all that salt in it like Gatorade does sorry steve I cant eat lots of salt yoost to love the gatorade drink years ago when I was a young lad.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »
It's getting funnier with all this talk about Gatorade, young buko juice and solar panels! Oh yeah, and batteries too! ??? :o ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
It's getting funnier with all this talk about Gatorade, young buko juice and solar panels! Oh yeah, and batteries too! ??? :o ;)

To get back on topic, you could clean the solar panels with Gatorade, but maybe buko juice would be better  :D :D :D :D

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
I saw a new way of making solar panels the other day.  It was developed by a MIT engineer who happens to have a lab up the road from me  he set up here cause of the lower costs compared to the US.  His method has no soldering and a full panel can be assembled in a hour or 2 at the most, with practice a couple kilowatts could be assembled in a hour.

http://solarpocketfactory.com/pages/forum#/panel-assembly-techniques/

For water distillation, I have a solar powered water distiller design.  8000 pesos should cover the materials.  Makes a gallon of Distilled water a day on cloudy days, more on sunny days.

http://www.solaqua.com/solstils1.html this one is made from fiberglass.  Although a plywood box sealed with black silicone caulk will work just as well.  The black silicone can be spread with a putty knife like bondo to seal everything.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:46:09 PM by Metz »

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
The Open Source Ecology tractor has actually turned out to be kind of a disaster.  It is very unreliable.  Same goes with the other projects.  A lot of half baked ideas, not much completed.

I had one member of the project come here to Phils from Kansas a few months ago.  He told me they got 400k in the bank and cant complete anything that works.  He spent 6 months at the FeF lab.
As a former 'true fan" funder of the project I am rather dissapointed as to the return on my investment at open source ecology.  I did meet a lot of people thru there however and our spinoff projects like the brick making machine, cook stoves, and the like are coming along well. 

My cook stove project uses wood chips and burns with a blue flame.  fill it up with dry wood chips, turn on the switch and light.  start cooking in 2 minutes, and can boil 500ml of water in 3 minutes from room temp.  A full load burns for 45min to one hour.

Offline Pulalei

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »
The Open Source Ecology tractor has actually turned out to be kind of a disaster.  It is very unreliable.  Same goes with the other projects.  A lot of half baked ideas, not much completed.

I had one member of the project come here to Phils from Kansas a few months ago.  He told me they got 400k in the bank and cant complete anything that works.  He spent 6 months at the FeF lab.
As a former 'true fan" funder of the project I am rather dissapointed as to the return on my investment at open source ecology.  I did meet a lot of people thru there however and our spinoff projects like the brick making machine, cook stoves, and the like are coming along well. 

My cook stove project uses wood chips and burns with a blue flame.  fill it up with dry wood chips, turn on the switch and light.  start cooking in 2 minutes, and can boil 500ml of water in 3 minutes from room temp.  A full load burns for 45min to one hour.

Manong Metz....your cook stove sounds wonderful. I wonder if your stove can use rice hull...those mounds of stuff you see outside a rice mill. If it does....I would think you hit a gold mine! And you will be helping a lot of poor people in the rice growing regions.Gas tanks for cooking now cost 900 pesos and rice hulls are free! But Even if it uses only wood chips, I could sell it like hot cakes in my province that is....if I am there! How much you're selling for the stove and the brick making machine?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:28:43 PM by RUFUS »

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 05:30:41 AM »
We tried it with rice husk. Problem with rice husk is the large amount of dirt and the high ash content (not fly ash the other ash) along with the shapes heels from achieving a good air fuel ratio.

I could have gone with the Belonio design, but the goal was to reduce costs and materials.  Rice husk could be used idiot was pelletized however the energy yield compared to wood chips is low.  My studies tell me that I need a short fat stove.  People are afraid a tall stove will fall over even of you have a huge base.