Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Solar Panels.  (Read 51312 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Solar Panels
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
I like this guy and his "Off Grid Projects"! I just wish I was younger and able!
Bill, he even mentions renovating RVs! I could just see myself in an RV and staying at all
the campsites through out the entire US of A or maybe even here in the Philippines, since if they can convert utility vans into rolling food vans one now sees many of them in Manila! So, why not a mini RV with the comforts of home on the road!
     So, it appears if one is a handyman, an inexpensive solar powered A/C can be built!
Small | Large

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:01:39 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
Re: Solar Panels.
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »
I have a pinay friend that works in the U.S. Embassy in Malate.  Not sure exactly what she does but I do know it is not in the visa section.

Following this thread I mentioned that many people were finding it hard to find suppliers.  She told me that she would give me a list of the companies that do so as recorded by the Embassy.

List attached, hope this is of assistance to those on here seeking such suppliers.  It is a ms - word document, hope you are able to download it, if not, someone please advise me how to get a document onto here.

Cheers
Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
Good info Brett! Thanks!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
Welcome Art.  :)

Cheers
Brett

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
.doc files work just fine for me!  Thanks Brett!  Great List!  Very good information!  Using these sources we should should see if we can put together a model solar power system, a good base model for those interested in solar power for their homes. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
You know Recto has solar panel dealers by the dozen selling them in street stalls?

If you want to make panels, you can find complete instructions at Green Power Science.  For the solar cells, the cheapest way is to get a cheap ticket to Taiwan. Bring 2 empty suitcases and buy direct from the solar cell foundries.

I know a guy who brings in 20kw worth of cells in a carry on bag that way. 

Pay the duty at the airport. 

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I know a guy who brings in 20kw worth of cells in a carry on bag that way. 

Cells are no good until they are made into panels.

A common garden variety 200Watt panel ( yes, 1/5 of a Kw )  measures approx 1500mm x 1000mm x 40mm and weighs 20 kilograms.

I call this info as INCORRECT

So far I have learned that most people perceptions of solar are NOT based on FACTS

my $0.02c worth  8)

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
I said cells not panels.  I also said green power science has free videos how to turn them into solar panels. 

20kw of 3x6 inch solar cells come out to a little under 25kg.  2.4 watt polycrystalline cell weighs 3 grams.

So yes 25kg in your luggage.. No problem.

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/SOLARPANELS.html 

What I said was correct and there are the footnotes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:13:35 PM by Metz »

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »
green power science has free videos how to turn them into solar panels. 

20kw of 3x6 inch solar cells come out to a little under 25kg.  2.4 watt polycrystalline cell weighs 3 grams.

3" x 6" cell x 8333 cells ( 20,000 / 2.4 ) gives  96.77 square meters ( this of course does not account for a little bit of room between the cells, or the panels. )
You would want to add at least 20% for this.  which makes  116.15 square meters, which is still an outlandish claim.
You would need quite a big roof !

I call the quoted cell output incorrect by a long shot.
Looks like the 2.4 watt you are quoting is too high, and maybe just a "burst" output, not real world.

Industry standard cells are either 5" square or 6" square.

Panels are tested and output figures quoted under real world conditions of ( NOCT: open-circuit module operation temperature )  at 800W/m2 irradiance, 25C ambient temperature, 1m/s wind speed.

A normal 200 watt MONO panel uses   72  x  5" x 5" cells  ( this is at 16% efficiency )  Derates to about 140 "real world " watts
A similar POLY panel uses the same and will generally be 2 % lower in efficiency.

200watts can be obtained in 1.5 square meters of panel
So a 20kW array can be had in 150 square meters,  and weigh about 2000Kg ,quite a big difference and this is due to the glass, frames, encapsulant, cables etc.

Considering panel manufacture is the stuff of robotic precision and absolutely dust free "clean rooms" , good luck with assembling them into anything that will work.

A 3x6 sounds like a factory cast off, not worth the sand they are made of.  ( polly cells are the cheap cousin of the mono cells FYI )

Your first issue will be to match the cells to within 1% of each other, other wise efficiency is greatly reduced and the panel will effectively short out internally and possibly catch fire.
Your next hurdle will be the laser welded silver foil electron collecting bars, connecting all the cells into an array ( usually 60 or 72 in series )
The next issue will be securing them onto the ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) backing and then backing it just right to achieve the correct adhesion, without degrading the EVA ( This is why cheap panels turn yellow or brown after a couple of years.)

Then you have the bypass diodes ( usually 3 ) and the weather proof connection box and cables
Then the frame
Then the toughened glass.
Then matching your newly created panels to within 1 or 2 % of each other ..........

And then how long is your master piece going to last ??

I get mine at less than $0.80 per watt with a full 10 year manufacturer guarantee on workmanship, and then a further 15 year guarantee on power output ( 25 yrs in all )
Government certified ( so they can be grid connected ) and all with standard sizing, which means that they will fit standard racking.

And because these things are out of sight ( sort of ) and up on your roof, they want to be good enough to only have to do the job once, so i know where my hard earned dollar goes

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but science is science.

Just my $0.02c worth  :)
Good luck with your project.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:38:18 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
Attached a link to an article about a solar panel kit that was on philstar.com. just now.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/03/21/1303362/solar-power-pushed-yolanda-homes

Enjoy

Cheers
Brett

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
President opens a new Solar generation plant Negros Occidental.  Hopefully more to come in the future.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/business/05/16/14/phs-1st-large-scale-solar-power-plant-opens-san-carlos

Cheers
Brett

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
I too am interested in solar but maybe after I have replenished the piggy bank. What I am interested in hearing is someone who has done it from a-z and the total cost and maintenance.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:39:16 AM by Gray Wolf »
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:47 AM »
I too am interested in solar but maybe after I have replenished the piggy bank. What I am interested in hearing is someone who has done it from a-z and the total cost and maintenance.

Scroll back through some of the posts made earlier in this thread and you'll find a very detailed discussion about building a solar system.  Leinster Lad, suzukig1 and Metz all have extensive knowledge about these systems and have shared freely with all of us.  I'm sure they'll be glad to offer some insight. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
Thanks
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »
I have read somewhere (cant remember where) that there is a law here that gives us the right to install grid ties.
The local power company will have to supply 2 meters..One import the other export.. Any exported power to the grid will create a deduction to your power bill.
This is definitely the way to go IMO as the weakest link in these solar systems is power storage.