Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Solar Panels.  (Read 44457 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Solar Panels.
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »
yea, we had a super hot spell and malines siblings spent a lot of time here that month, when they are here they like to camp out in the kids br running the ac...I put a stop to it.  Our biggest elec. burner is the hot water heater, figured that out when I was running the generator, when I took a hot shower it would bog down to almost nothing...and like you I run the ac in our bedroom 24/7  for a couple of reasons, one the computer is there and it keeps the humidity low, two when I want to take a nap I dont want to have to wait for the room to cool....yea I'm spoiled. Normal bill is about 12000...
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2014, 06:43:01 AM »
The idea behind solar is to reduce your power bill.
AC consumes the largest amount of elect.
$19000 spent to install something that might give you a pay back in 6 or 7 years, no grantees.
Why not spend the money or a small part of the $19000 on insulating your house?
I have nothing against solar it will work, but it's not the only way to reduce your power bill and like Art said most people don't have the $19000 to spend on a solar system but they might be able to come up with a few thousand to insulate their attic space

Insulating the attic space is very cheap and simple. Insulating walls is more difficult on a ready built house but just shading the walls that catch the sun would help. In our original rented house some of the walls were very warm at times.

Our house is very well insulated and remains reasonably cool most of the time, but we did install a split aircon in the bedroom that has a turbo mode. This will reduce the temperature very rapidly. Before going to bed I will switch the aircon on turbo while having a shower and it is down to our preset 26C by the time I have finished. I can do the same for an afternoon nap, but often find that a fan is enough.

If you are building a new house I would suggest installing a central electric hot water system instead of the instant electric heaters. You can then constuct a simple solar preheater, but the comercial types are readly available and going down in price. I believe I saw one locally for around P25k.

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2014, 08:21:33 AM »
The idea behind solar is to reduce your power bill.
$19000 spent to install something that might give you a pay back in 6 or 7 years, no grantees.

Frosty, as mentioned previously,  the $19,000 was three years ago. Same system today is $8,000
Running my numbers ( consumption, generation etc ) thru my spreadsheet actually gives me payback number of 5.6 years.  This number is actually pretty bang on for accuracy.
Verified by a quick "back of the napkin" type calculation.

You mention that there are "No Guarantees" ?   Well heck, the world might end tomorrow as well....
Let me guarantee you that your power bill will ALWAYS increase if you purchase your power from the grid !

As i have also mentioned, I have not paid even 1 centavo for my power for the last 3 years..... nothing....nada.

Sure, i have effectively paid for my power "in advance", but in 2.6 years, I will have used up all that "credit" , and I will still not have to pay ANYTHING for power for the life of the system ( 20+ years ), and if I am not wastefull of my energy, the power that I sell back into the grid will put about $2000 back into my pocket, every year !

And yes, my house is already very well insulated.
( My house is a large 4brm 2brm "western" house with bore pump reticulation for the gardens. I have 3 a/c's  2 x 2 kW and 1 x 8 kW. I run a server, NAS, WiFi router, PC's, 2 laptops, Security lights, 3 large fridges, 1 x LED TV, 1 x CRT TV, microwave, dish washer, elect oven, washing machine, cloths drier, stereos, yep, pretty much all the gadgets, stay home wife and 3 kids. )

As I had a new meter installed when I installed my grid connect solar PV system........ here are some numbers.....

Install date      19 August 2011
Meter import     0 kWh
Meter export     0 kWh

Figures as of     03 June 2014     
Meter, import     11,207 kWh   ( this is what I had to "buy" from the grid @  $0.30 kWh )
Meter, export     18,669 kWh   ( this is what I fed INTO the grid, after the house used what it needed, credited at $0.48 kWh  )
Inverter, total    25,854 kWh   ( this is the solar system life time generation so far.  Average generation of 25 kWh per day )
House hold "self consumption, which is unmetered  (  25,854 - 18,669 = 7,185 ) This is the power that the house used, from the solar, before any excess could go out to the grid.  This is how a "NET Feed In Tarrif" works. )

So over that period,  my house ( system ) produced ( 25,854 kWh ) more power than the house used ( 18,392 kWh ).
My excess power ( 18,669 kWh ) was fed back into the grid for a credit, which is what paid for my metered consumption ( 11,207 kWh ) and gave me a credit cheque(s).

The value of the credit and the value of the power that I did not buy adds up to about $3500 per year.

You will notice that my "feed in credit" is $0.48 kWh
This is a 10 year guarantee from the state government that was introduced as an incentive for people to invest in solar.
( Remember, my system did cost $19,000. )

This "generous" feed in tarrif has now been reduced ( for new connections ) to $0.08 kWh.... but systems are now 1/3 the price that I paid !

Even without the "feed in credit", I did not have to buy 11,207 kWh +( 25,854 - 18,669 ) = 18,392 kWh @ $0.30 kWh of power.
That is a saving of $5,517.60 that I did NOT have to spend on power.

This is how my system will have a ROI of about 5.6 years.
As far as an "Investment" goes, this is about 25% TAX FREE.
I do not know of ANY other investment that will give you that sort of return. ( at the same time giving me "free" power ) plus add value to your house.

Art says that his June power bill was P13,553  x 12  = P162,636 per year.  ( How many kWh's was this Art ??? )
That is a spend of 811,180 over 5 years.
This is money that you know that you WILL ( plus more, as power always goes up ) have to spend anyway ( unless you are going to live in a tent, in the jungle, with no power...)  and THAT sort of money should buy you a very good solar PV system.

And a system of that size ( 5 or 6 kW ) should provide ALL of your energy requirements with some excess fed back to the grid.
Meralco will give you P5.6 kWh credit for this........good beer money.

I understand that a lot of people simply do not have immediate access to that sort of money...... but it is worthwhile trying to, as you are going to spend the money anyway !

YMMV, but these are REAL WORLD figures form a system that has been operating for 3 years, and it works for me.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
Tom,

What do you do with all that Palay husk?  I'm not sure if you know or not but that is one hell of a lot of bio mass just waiting to help you pay your power bill.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:02:48 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
Hi Fred, the rice husk is piled up now over 45 feet tall over 18 hectares of land already after 12 years of running the Mill.

It a real pain in the *%$ we use a crawler dump truck and dozer everyday to level it.

In our area no one will buy it If I was in Luzon I could sell it at 2 Piso a Kilo to the cement factory

You can see the rice mill on google earth from 30,000 feet just look for Panitan, Panay Island go down the road to Pontevedra

The problem is takes money to make money to install a  MW steam plant the cost is right at $10,000,000 USD with 6 KM/ of 69K line to NGCP Switch yard we already have enough stock pile to run the plant for 3-4 years with out even milling new rice

The banks here will only finance 70% of the project cost on a 7 year loan. So I need to come up with $3,000,0000 USD for the 30% deposit any one Interested in investing.

Hopefully I do already have a joint venture partner, I will see if there real or not in the next few months

Till then I will be the largest private customer Petron has in the Area

Best Regards

Tom/ Roxas City

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
You can see the rice mill on google earth from 30,000 feet just look for Panitan, Panay Island go down the road to Pontevedra
Tom/ Roxas City

Nice roof on your mill Tom, Plenty of room for some solar panels  ;) just joking  8)

Good luck with the power plant.
Will be good for stabilising the grid as well as a really good income stream for you.

Dave

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2014, 06:11:55 AM »
Dang, that's a big pile of rice husks!!   :o   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »
Tom,

What do you do with all that Palay husk?  I'm not sure if you know or not but that is one hell of a lot of bio mass just waiting to help you pay your power bill.
I would love to be neighbors with Tom. I would ask someone to make several simple, easy to use, low cost rice hull carbonizer and make carbonized hull out of it. It's a great organic fertilizer or soil conditioner! In return, I will supply Tom with fresh organic veggies and fruits! I can even give my other neighbors surplus fertilizer for their own garden. Or better yet teach them how to do it themselves and sell it for extra income. I will also make a sunken path within my huge garden and fill it up with rice hull to cushion my feet and so I don't step into the garden bed. I can also use the rice hull as a mulch for the plants, to cover the soil and to conserve moisture. I can use it as a bedding for the chickens and pigs as an experiment. I will dug a meter deep trench inside the pen, fill it up with rice hull, spray indigenous organisms and hopefully it works like a rice straw beddings....no clean no smell animal pens!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:30:51 AM by julie »

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
Julie,

Come on down your welcome any time

I can not even give the husks away no one here is interested in them for any use, only a few chicken farmers come and load trucks with husks for bedding.

Jack that Google Earth picture showing the husks is around 7 years old we were just getting started with the larger milling lines

We are working out a contract now on a J/V for a 3 MW Steam power plant that should solve the 100 ton a day rice husk problem in the near future

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:25:36 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »
100 ton of rice husk a day? OMG...I changed my mind no thank you I don't want to get buried underneath a tsunami of rice husk. Lol.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »
100 ton of rice husk a day? OMG...I changed my mind no thank you I don't want to get buried underneath a tsunami of rice husk. Lol.

You'll have plenty to experiment with!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
Searching online for things locally available in the Philippines is hardly ever very fruitful but tonight I was able to find at least one site which quoted a 1.5kW grid-tie system, in the Philippines, $5,000 USD installed.

Solaric

I'm having trouble seeing the bang for my buck here. Would it be a better idea to go with a scaled-back, battery-charging emergency system?

JD

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2014, 07:14:14 AM »
Searching online for things locally available in the Philippines is hardly ever very fruitful but tonight I was able to find at least one site which quoted a 1.5kW grid-tie system, in the Philippines, $5,000 USD installed.

Solaric

I'm having trouble seeing the bang for my buck here. Would it be a better idea to go with a scaled-back, battery-charging emergency system?

JD

That is insanely expensive.
A friend of mine is getting a 5 Kw system installed today for $5,600 AUD
At that price point it make heaps of sense, with pay back in less than 6 years.

I know it is in Australia, but that seems to be a realistic price.

Would be worthwhile buying a system down here and shipping it up to the Phils ?

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »

Solaric

JD

That is insanely expensive.
A friend of mine is getting a 5 Kw system installed today for $5,600 AUD
At that price point it make heaps of sense, with pay back in less than 6 years.

I know it is in Australia, but that seems to be a realistic price.

Would be worthwhile buying a system down here and shipping it up to the Phils ?

In a Balikbayan box..YES!!

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
"
In a Balikbayan box..YES!! "

I think the panels  would be too big for a BB box.

Even if it cost $1000 to ship it up there, it is still woth while.
Might have some issues with customs / import duty / taxes etc......