Author Topic: Bohol  (Read 4960 times)

Bohol
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:31:39 AM »
This month we visited Tag. for the 1st time for 3 days, as we were involved in a Phil/Am wedding. We stood in for the American as Ma & Pa and him be\'n sonny-boy. Sure had some folks fooled thinking \"I\" was Pa, (with my white beard), and my wife was the step-mother! LMAO  Tag. is the only city on the Island with 45± towns.

We took a tour to the Choc Hills meaning an 1.5 hour drive through some of those small towns. Those towns didn\'t seem much different then others I\'ve seen around the Country, but fairly clean. But Tag did seem a lot better IMO, then Dumaguete City that we have lived near for the last 3.5 years.

We didn\'t see one trike-cab blowing black smoke or the City over run with them, that\'s  common in Dumaguete City. In other words, the air was cleaner and cooler everywhere we went. We checked food prices, (things we use), at the BQ Mall and found things about the same as Dumaguete except meat was cheaper. We did find the Nipa roofing 1/3 the price found around here even through 5 towns away. I just re-roofed a large shed that took 750 pieces last month. GRRRR

We had lunch on a river barge and that river tour was worth more then the cost of the lunch, which was OK too! Now there\'s an area I could live in!  ;D

3 days isn\'t enough time to do anything to evaluate the Island or the people, but from my POV, worth checking out, if you not into the big city life.
B-Ray

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Bohol
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
Bohol is one of the places on my list to scout out for my retirement casa. My wife has been there and says its a very nice place. She has about the same description you gave. I think she is still set on living on Leyte though, to be near her family.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »
B Ray, if by any chance we made any eye contact while on your visit here i hope we spoke, with smile or expression..i use BQ mall quite a lot..you cant miss me for all you have to do is look down a little (only 5\' 1 1/2 inches tall) ...glad you liked the island and enjoyed the tour..when my struggles come to an end i plan to get back into the enjoyment of my retirement and clean living..... take care.
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:29 AM »
I think she is still set on living on Leyte though, to be near her family.

Near family OUCH!!! but that\'s  just my POV  since for us their on another island and she doesn\'t want ANYTHING to do with them and I think I know why!! Lucky me!!!!!  ;D
B-Ray

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:14:17 AM »
Well there shortman, if we get your way again and we might, I\'ll send a message ahead of time.
B-Ray

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »
The luncheon river cruise was probably on Loboc river...kids jumping/swimming from palm trees, floating childrens choir just downstream of small waterfall are other highlights of the trip

I have to disagree about smokey trikes NOT being in Tagb....I find them to be as bad as Cebu city especially when traffic stalls around BQ or approaching ICM malls
But then again not been to Dumaguete

Best beach resort....Panglao Island Nature Reserve.......Bohol Bee Farm worth a look too

Alona Beach is a nice little beach town for 3 or 4 days

A day trip dolphin watching with side trip to Pamalican Island worthwhile too

I\'m planning exploring the islands off the norh coast once I\'m settled in in 5 weeks time

Offline Evan

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:06:45 AM »
B Ray, if by any chance we made any eye contact while on your visit here i hope we spoke, with smile or expression..i use BQ mall quite a lot..you cant miss me for all you have to do is look down a little (only 5\' 1 1/2 inches tall) ...glad you liked the island and enjoyed the tour..when my struggles come to an end i plan to get back into the enjoyment of my retirement and clean living..... take care.

What? Another shortman in Tagb? where were you from June  to august 2007? where were you between 2001 and 2005? I thought there was only one shortman! me! You beat me by 1/2 an inch! That\'s not fair!!!......

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:08 AM »
 :)  :)  :)... Evan, take care....
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »
  :D  :D :D.... Im never offended with anything about my shortness.. Heck, i enjoy the attention... Thank you evan for the other e mail concern.. :D :D :D

Offline Evan

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
same here! I had a more than normal life with a lot of success!

Offline Robm

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:34 AM »
Group,

i thought i would add some pics of Bohol from one of my trips there. We stayed on Alona Beach at the Isis Bungalows.

Two sunset beach scenes

The Loboc River cruise Captain Ron mentions. You can see the small waterfalls in the background

Playing with the floating mandolin band on the Loboc River cruise

One of the many beach restaurants.... me bringing a mango juice to my pinay.

Isis Bungalows. A simple clean place to stay.

The swinging bridge to gift shops

Man made forest... nice mahogany trees....

The \"green\" Chocolate Hills

Alona Beach Bums

Isis bungalow beauty

Beach massage... a MUST!!!

Robm

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »
Guide Note - additional posts on Elite Membership have been merged & can be found here:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=927.msg5608#msg5608

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »
Been to Bohol twice, first time stayed at Alona Kew on Alona Beach for the whole time. Hotel is okay but nothing spcial right in the centre of the beach. Next time decided to spend 3 nights at Bohol Tropics in Tagbilaran first before going to Alona beach. Reason being to go on the tours if you are at Alona beach you have to go through the town about 30 minutes each way. Also once at Alona beach you are a bit stuck, no proper transport service but private cars will rip you off taking you to town etc. The Bohol Tropics is a very nice place even though its by the town its right on the sea. Its close to the airport and they will collect you for free. It was a 50 pesos taxi ride (Jan 2007) to Island Mall. After staying at the Tropics we went to Alona beach. As my aged mother was with us we stayed at Alona Palm. Its the best hotel on the best part of Alona Beach. Very nice hotel with each room being its own Villa. It is though a bit expensive. Being on Alona Beach you are not stuck for eating and drinking in the hotel with prices to match. Very close by is OOPs bar good for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus drinking.   

Next time I might try to stay at Alona Tropical, next door Alona Palm but much cheaper. Never stayed there but looked ok. Any comments from somebody who has stayed there?

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 01:03:19 AM »
Their best deal at Alona Tropical are the 2/3 bungalows right on the beach ....non a/c but we took a 2nd fan with us P1300 per night

The most awesome spot to stay at in Alona is Amorito http://www.amoritaresort.com up on the cliff on far side of Alona Tropical.......makes it a long walk to the \"village\" part of Alona but always a pleasant walk......the pool at the edge of the cliff is awesome....

think Alona Palm prices tho\' and maybe then some (P7000 for room, villas @ P11000 & 13000)

Transport.......

Taxi to Tagbilaran s/b meter + 50% they\'ll need to \"dead head\" down to Alona.....usually P200-300 on the meter ....never paid more than P450 ($11/£6/€8) basically for an hour of their time + GAS

Flag down the 2-3 trike guys who operate in Alona and get their cell number.......I think they operate out of Panglao town so their rates will reflect coming over for you and going back......Maybe P60-100 per hour

Wanna go solo?.....call Peter Partes (928 321 35955) he\'s got a couple of multicabs he might have available to rent - P1000 a day and 3 or 4 scooters P3/400 a day - but depends on what his guests needs on any given day
Say Dave & Glo say hi!

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:52:13 AM »
Alona Tropical restuarant is building on right

Cottage smentioned in earlier post  just off to right of pic

This is the clifftop view you\'ll get of Alona Beach from Amorito