Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Building our house in a sub-division  (Read 18019 times)

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
Re: Building our house in a sub-division
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
In Lipa City, Batangas and Lucena City, Quezon, my friends all drink tap water from the local municipal supply. I always try to drink bottled water but I think over time I have also been given tap water and ice made from tap water. So far no problem, but I think in other areas it could be a different story.

Richard

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
when I first came to the philippines the water killed me many many trips to the CR up at nite with bad stomach pains...even thow I drank wilkins water idk but now im doing just fine .I think you have to ajust for awhile but first timers should buy wilkins and boil it if they still have a problem...my well is 50 feet deep we use it for only washing and taking a shower we buy from the local water station ...

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Here In our subdivision in Sta Rosa, Laguna we have our own district water treatment plant, Sta Rosa Water Works (SRWW) http://www.ayalaproperty.com.ph/portfolio_ww.asp
and our tap water is fit to drink, but we still prefer buying our drinking water to be on the safe side!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:19:43 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
When I first arrived the GF was insistent on me drinking bottled water. That lasted about a week. I'm in Novaliches and you can actually smell the chlorine in the tap water usually in the late evening so it's being treated somewhere along the pipeline. Been drinking it for months now and haven't keeled over. Not saying it is good for you, it just hasn't killed me.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
We pay 15 Pesos for a 5 gallon refill of purified water.. Why drink tap water when treated water can be that cheap?
I remember in the 1980`s just how widespread and common Typhoid fever was in Manila back then when water purification businesses were not operating..
Tap water? Forget it!

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:46 PM »
Actually Fred I have doubts about what you are getting when you buy "purified" water. Our local supplier claims that their water passes through multiple stages of filtration, including reverse osmosis. However the mineral deposits inside my coffee machine make me wonder if the water is filtered at all. And we pay 30 pesos per 5 gallon bottle.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Drain fields are not practical for most suburban type houses so we used a three chamber system. We built two septic tanks, one each side of the house because the house is wide but not deep. They are more than 2 metres deep, the first, the digester chamber, is 1.5 x 1 metre, the second, the settlement tank, is about 1 metre square. These two are sealed at the bottom but the third has an open bottom to act as a soak away. This is about 1 metre square and also takes the grey water from the showers and sinks.

When we had the dirty kitchen built, the builder made a separate soak away but it is far too small. When money permits, we will build a good hollow block toilet and shower room for the maids on the end of the dirty kitchen followed by a good block built bedroom for the maid to replace the nipa hut we now have. I will then have a large and deep soak away placed behind this building to take an overflow from the septic tank third chamber with all the other grey water pipes connected to it.

One mistake most builders make here is to connect the grey water from the showers etc. to the toilet pipes which then goes into the digester chamber. We had to get our builder to remove and reroute a lot of the plumbing to avoid this.

We have a distant relative that runs one of these water purification plants and they say that they clean their system very frequently, but know others that do not.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Now that you mentioned it I also see sedment in my coffee pot and wondered why if it is being filtered threw 28 stages hmmmn  :o

• Sr Member
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »
We pay 15 Pesos for a 5 gallon refill of purified water.. Why drink tap water when treated water can be that cheap?
I remember in the 1980`s just how widespread and common Typhoid fever was in Manila back then when water purification businesses were not operating..
Tap water? Forget it!
P15 for a 5 gallon of purified water is unheard of where we live which is around P45!
I wonder about the qualify when paying less for purified water, because at times I've seen sediments in some of the bottled water we've bought before and switched over to another water dispensing delivery company because of it! Fortunately I haven't yet become ill with the purified water we buy in our area! 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:43:33 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »
I am finding mineral deposits inside of my coffee maker.
Whatever floats your boat.

• Sr Member
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »
I don't even have a coffee maker ever since we moved here! I'm not too picky about not having a coffee maker as long I can find a good brand of instant coffee like Folgers or similar to it in taste and aroma!
I first use a clear measuring cup to make sure there are no sediments in the water and micro wave it, then make my instant coffee to taste! I'm just a one big cup a day coffee drinker just in the morning!
Are we getting off the main topic?
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 07:27:21 AM »
Actually Fred I have doubts about what you are getting when you buy "purified" water. Our local supplier claims that their water passes through multiple stages of filtration, including reverse osmosis. However the mineral deposits inside my coffee machine make me wonder if the water is filtered at all. And we pay 30 pesos per 5 gallon bottle.

Richard

I was talking to a friend of mine,an Englishman that has one of these purification centers..
From memory what he says is that the water is put into a 500 gallon container and then all the nasties are killed with clorine.. The other 24 processes (amongst other things) help remove the taste of bleach.
We have to pick up the water ourselves for that price(25 Pesos delivered) and it takes them 20 minutes to sterilize our bottles..
Tap water where we live is almost brackish to salty just about everywhere on our island and I cant drink it full stop unless its been purified..
It is what it it is!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:42:49 AM by fred »

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »
Iíll be in the Philippines in a few weeks, and Iím wondering what to expect on the availability of drinking water when traveling. Are the 16oz/500ml bottles available everywhere or will I need to buy larger volumes (1 or 5 gal) and then fill my walking around containers myself?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:17:41 AM by hitekcountry »

• Sr Member
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »
The availability of bottled water isn't a problem, just don't buy them from street vendors for obvious reasons!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
We pay P25 for a 5 gallon container of drinking water. Whilst our house was being built we found out that the water pressure in our sub division was quite poor, especially at peak times, so we had a well drilled to 120 feet and pumped into a pressure tank to supply water to the house. Otherwise the hot water showers upstairs would probably not work due to the low pressure.

Whilst we don't use the well water for drinking it does seem pretty pure. It would have cost around P4000  to get it tested and we may do that during our next stay there.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house