Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Building our house in a sub-division  (Read 18042 times)

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
Re: Building our house in a sub-division
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:26 AM »
We have community deep well water here.  It is treated by dumping chlorine down the well every so often.  We did the same thing in Africa at the military base there for the wash water.  I am developing a machine that will chlorine treat water with a meter that measures the water coming into the tank and what got out.  It will calculate based on time and water flow how many drops of unscented chlorine bleach to add to the tank. 

I will make the pluming and parts on my 3d printer when it gets done.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
Wildbill,

My septic is similar to yours. I'm right on the beach on sand.
I have no outlet pipe at all, and no bottom on the septic.
It was like this when I bought the house 5 years ago
And I haven't had a problem yet.

The reason that using paper is discouraged is because it will
clog up the drainage qualities of the sand, thus, we use the "tabo" system
in our house. There is no "pump-out" facility available for our septic,
and even if there was, we can't get a truck near our place.

Rest assured, use it wisely, and it will serve you for many years.
When I first moved in, I used a stick, as there was no lid/opening,
to see how the septic was.
It came back clean, so the sand must be doing it's job.

I'm aware that as the bottom of the septic is just sand, everything
must leach thru' to the ocean. Unfortunately, there is no other
way that I can divert it, and as there are hundreds of homes/huts on
my stretch of the beach doing the same thing, it would be a wasted
exercise. No pun intended.

Graham

Offline hoppin john

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
The  only problem with building a house  in a  subdivision and  i have  many friends  living  in them, and  they all bought  houses already, owned for  almost  half  of  the  cost, you can never recover  the  cost of  building, well you say i am going to live  here the  rest of  my life  , that  is  good  if  you can see that  far  ahead, most  can't, things  happen, sickness, death so on, i have  a  friend  a  retired  marine  captain who sold  his  house  ,i never  thought  he  would , and  is  going back to the USA for  medical reasons, the  Philippines  has  some  pretty good  medical facilities but  nothing  compared  to first  world  countries, he  has  a  condition they requires Medical treatment  not  offered  in the  Philippines, houses in subdivisions  are  for  sale  all the  time  owners  leave for  one  reason or another,and  you cannot  own property, ohhhhhh but  my wife  i trust  her  so much she  is  so kind and  loving , i have  been coming her  for  50 years  and  living  here permanent  don't  believe  it

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2013, 08:34:36 PM »
thanks graham we will see how it works out but when we have visitors they are throwing tissue in the bowl  -next time we have visitors im gonna remove all tissue let  :othem wipe with there fingers I say...

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
When we have visitors, we make sure to inform them not to throw tissue in the toilet and wipe up their water spills in the sink or where ever! Simple as that! Your house, your rules! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
thanks graham we will see how it works out but when we have visitors they are throwing tissue in the bowl  -next time we have visitors im gonna remove all tissue let  :othem wipe with there fingers I say...

WB,

Get one of those little "Hygenic Hand-Held" sprayers, available at most H'ware stores.
I have one and it is brilliant. It has a trigger type valve and looks like a miniature shower head
placed on a long flexible tube. Put a "T" piece onto the water inlet for the toilet. Fit the hose
and you're good to go. Don't forget to have a container of hand-washing soap handy
so visitors (and yourself) can wash up after using the toilet.

Graham

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
If you ban people from putting tissue down the toilet and provide a bin as they do in a lot of public toilets, how do you deal with potential smelly and unhygienic contents. Just curious :)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
I have a question about cleaning toilets connected to a septic tank. Bing is using the remnants of Joy in a small Joy bottle and adding 50% water and 50% vinegar. Although the joy is very diluted, it does sat Ďanti bacterialí. I am concerned that this could harm the natural bacteria that is necessary to make a septic tank work. Can anyone comment on this and perhaps suggest an alternative method/product to descale and generally keep the toilet bowl clean and hygienic?

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:29 PM »
how do you deal with potential smelly and unhygienic contents.- simple not many parties happen here anymore cause I hate nasty people with no respect for others and dont follow simple house rules of cleanlyness-number 1- I have hand push soap they wont use it,2 I have a trash can next to the toilet they dont use it they throw it in the toilet bowl,3 I have and air freshner it works but when they piss the floor it dont work well,and piss all over the bowl to,when they use the shower the little boy piss the floor yes its gross what to do get mad nope just lesson well lurned.no more parties...maybe sighns might work.... :-\ and thats not all they leave Behind to..yep I have a sprayer to.love it..I always think it really belongs to the kitchen sink..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:52:25 PM by wildbill »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »
When we visited Vigan we stayed at Villa Angela, an old colonial style mansion, but with modern CR facilities.  They didn't provide paper and had no paper holder but what I really thought was nice was that each toilet was equipped with a small spray hose similar to the ones you might use in your kitchen sink.  It was mounted in the wall beside each toilet bowl and had it's own spigot.  It was very handy for cleaning up afterwards.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »
Colin, there is not enough ďantiĒ in the soap formula to even make a slight dent in the bacteria in the septic tank. Truthfully, the soaps that are labeled Anti-Bacteria is just a play on words. All soaps are anti-bacterial soaps, some just put the words on the label because they are the current buzz words and that helps it sell. Most customers when faced with choices will choose the one that says itís anti-bacterial, even if it is more expensive.

I have a question of my own. Why is there all the talk about not flushing toilet paper? That stuff is designed to be very biodegradable and it will disappear quickly in the septic tank. When you flush it, by the time it gets to the tank it is disintegrated into a pulp. There are millions of little bacteria bugs in the tank and they eat toilet paper just as fast as they eat the feces.  :o
You men can do a test. Toss some toilet paper in the commode and let it get thoroughly soaked, and then pee on it. It will totally come apart.
Also, not tossing it into a waste can means it donít draw flies and stink up the room.

I like the idea of the small cleaning hose beside the commode, sort of like a flexible bidet. Iíll add that to my list of things Iíll want in my house when I get there.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
With the amount of Bleach and acid we use our beneficial bacteria colonies never really had a chance.
The smallest amount of bleach will pretty much do the same thing.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Building our house in a sub-division - Toilets!!!
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
Well, the Japanese seems to have all the right ideas about toilets! Anyway, I don't like wet bath room floors! The shower floor/wall being wet is understandable, but all 4 walls wet too, now that's ridiculous!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+fancy+japanese+toilets&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fjUqUYPbIsmmrAegk4GoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1344&bih=762
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:52:57 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 02:07:53 AM »
Well, the Japanese seems to have all the right ideas about toilets! Anyway, I don't like wet bath room floors! The shower floor/wall being wet is understandable, but all 4 walls wet too, now that's ridiculous!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+fancy+japanese+toilets&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fjUqUYPbIsmmrAegk4GoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1344&bih=762

Your aim is off if you hose down the walls trying to "tabo".   :D :D :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 05:13:01 AM »

Your aim is off if you hose down the walls trying to "tabo".   :D :D :)

Especially when you consider the typical size of our target area!!

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house