Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Filipino Origins  (Read 20205 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Filipino Origins
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »
"Boondocks" - The term boondocks (boonies) is an American English term for a remote, usually brushy rural area or to a remote city or town that is considered unsophisticated.  The term has evolved into American slang used to refer to "the countryside" or any implicitly isolated rural/wilderness area, regardless of topography or vegetation.

The expression was introduced to English by American military personnel serving in the Philippines during the early years of the 20th century. It derives from the Tagalog word "bundok", meaning "mountain". According to military historian Paul Kramer, the term had attached to it "connotations of bewilderment and confusion", due to the guerrilla nature of the warfare in which the soldiers were engaged.  "Boonies" came into common use by US servicemen during the Vietnam war. 

"Bundok" as originally used by Filipinos is a colloquialism referring to rural areas. As major Filipino cities are generally located near the coastline, rural areas inland are usually mountainous and difficult to access. Other equivalent terms used are the Spanish-derived "Probinsya" ('Province') and the Cebuano "Bukid" ('Mountain').It is also a derogatory term referring to the stereotype of unsophisticated country people (Tagalog "Taga-bundok"/"Probinsyano", Cebuano "Taga-bukid" literally 'Someone who comes from the mountains/province'). As an adjective, it can mean "ignorant", "uncultured", "illiterate", or "naive".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:42:50 AM by Gray Wolf »
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Filipino Origins
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:07 AM »
I lived in the boondocks of New York until I was 19.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »
I've heard my wife Gloria refer to some girls we've met as being a "probinsyana". 

Now I know ...     ;)     :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »
When my sisters and I are chatting and joking, one of us will eventually tease and say "taga-bundok ka kasi" (because you're from the boonies), or worse "baky ka kasi" (because you're a low-life).  However, if these terms are meant for somebody else, then it is derogatory. The person uttering these is then considered an "uppity."
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Maye

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
Oh!! I never heard the word "Boondocks" before..hahahaha.. 

Shameful;/

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Oh!! I never heard the word "Boondocks" before..hahahaha.. 

Shameful;/

Hi Maye,
There is no shame in not knowing a word. That's why we learn something new everyday. :)
Regards.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Maye

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Hello Meylou,

I guess you're right, I am really thankful to this forum coz I really learn a lot...

Thank you Everyone! :) And may we have a Happy New Year!!!! :D

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
Why do people keep inventing these new words, don't we have enough in our various languages already?

I still think that if someone is gay, they are happy ;)

Rob from Mel

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
Ha Colin , you mean that they are HAPPY that they are GAY  ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:59:04 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
LOL thats too funny  :D

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »
Funny stuff, I will have to admit coming from a conservative area of the States where being gay is still a closet subject for the most part to the Philippines where it is open and flaunted catches me off guard at times.   

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »
 :) Yea, my wife had to tell me that those "hot" girls with the short skirts in Robinsons were boys???  I really could not tell.  Now I just assume that the really hot ones willing to wear the mini skirts are gay..... :'(, somebody go get the Gunny, I ain't never seen something like this!
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it