Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Hotels in Manila  (Read 6573 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Hotels in Manila
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
I need to go to Manila in a weeks time to renew my i-card and I am looking for a reasonable hotel, ideally near the Bureau of Immigration in Intramuros or perhaps towards the Mall of Asia. I have looked at the Bayleaf, but at P3800 a night it is too expensive. I just want somewhere clean to sleep, and spend the extra money on shopping. We may use the 'Go Hotel' in Mandaluyong, my wife has used it twice and found it clean and inexpensive at P1500 a night. It will involve a little traveling which I don't mind, but I would like to consider some alternatives. Any suggestions.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
Re: Hotels in Manila
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
Found this one for you through Expedia...

White Knight Hotel Intramuros - for $39/night

http://www.expedia.com/Manila-Hotels-White-Knight-Hotel-Intramuros.h4738720.Hotel-Information?chkin=01%2F17%2F2013&chkout=01%2F20%2F2013&rm1=a2&hashTag=roomsAndRates&#roomsAndRates

I've never stayed here so you'll need to do more research on this hotel. The rooms look very nice and clean so let us know.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »
Colin,

White Knight is the only other one that I am aware in Intramuros.  Be advised the published room rate on most sites does not include the taxes (23.5% in manila).  So the $39/night rate would be approx $48(2K php).  Most sites will show the price plus tax on the booking/payment page.  I normally search for sites that require no advance payment or a max of 10% down to confirm the booking. www.asiarooms.com is normally my starting point along with the hotels site if they have one, then google for other sites.  Also agree Bayleaf maybe expensive at P3800 but my rate in Dec 2012 was a little cheaper.   We were there for a mini vacation and not to transact business at BI.  So location(overlooking battlements, golf course, Manila at night from the rooftop bar, hotel breakfast buffet, churchs and restaurants in Intramuros) versus other areas of Manila(Makati, Ermita, Malate, etc.) was the selling point and well worth the expence.  As long as they keep the price close to the same I will use them for future mini vacations and for U.S. Embassy or BI runs if I need to stay over. 

As for the White Knight it appears to be filling up quickly for the Standard/Deluxe rooms for the next two weeks, this is also a small hotel with only 50 some odd rooms.  Best of luck in your search.

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:04:50 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »
Thanks Maylou and Chuck.

Bing wants to use her senior citizen card to get a 20% discount I am not sure how I am going to manage that. When she has gone to Manila on her own, she has not booked in advance and just walked into a hotel and got the discount by showing her card. Maybe we will have to line up a few hotels and visit them in order of preference.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »
Colin,

Don't think that would be a big problem as long as you have not paid in advance.  Most of the hotels have an email address, so just check.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
The Bayview Park Hotel on the corner of United Nations Ave and Roxas is very nice and only a few blocks from Intramuros.  We stayed there last year.  Rooms listed online are $66 per night including tax.  If Bing books the room in person my bet is you'll get a better price.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »
Colin, We stayed at the newly opened Tune Hotel, not fancy or a glitzy place just clean and very reasonably price. Does have small restaurant, didn't eat in it so can't comment about the food. By the way will you and the Mrs be back on the island in April. The boss and I have been invited to travel with a group of teachers there. If possible would like to buy you a cold one if your in the area.

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
G'day Colin, I recently had two Aussie mates stay in The Pearl Lane Hotel, they thought it was nice, no complaints other than typical 'filo' breakfast, have a look at the link.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/philippines/manila/pearl_lane_hotel.html

I tend to use Agoda when looking for somewhere to stay here in Phils, very comprehensive reviews.  Many other reasonably priced places to stay in this area, have stayed in a few.  Hotel Kimberly, The Executive Plaza to name a few.  All about a 15-20 min ride to both B.I and Mall of Asia, and about a three min walk to Robinsons Place Manila.  American Embassy about ten mins away by taxi.

I would offer you the use of a spare room here however we have another forum members future partner staying with us next week as she has an interview at the American Embassy for her visa.

Give me a yell if you want to catch up for a cold one here on our balcony while ur in town if you like.  Our place overlooks Mnl Bay.

I am picking up my new card tomorrow as well, bit of a pain, but that's life here  :)

Cheers
Brett
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:25:06 AM by brett4gam »
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
FYI.  It's best to go the Intramuros office right when it opens at 7am.  There are very small queues at that time.  (Although one time I was there at 7am the workers were not ready yet.)  In my experience it gets crowded in that office from about 9am on.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
Thanks for the Hotel recommendations, I am making a short list to check out. Bing wants to use her Senior Citizen discount so I will need to do some emailing.

Thanks for the offer of the 'cold one', but I will pass on that. After all the hassle with BI, we make the most of our rare visits to Manila with lots of shopping and walking, that just leaves us with just enough energy for a shower and collapse on the bed. I have got to pay a visit to the Canon Customer Repair Centre, possibly the Braun razor repair place, check out the possibility of getting a hearing aid, then maybe some computer shops. There is also a store there that sells Yamaha electronic pianos that I am considering. Then Bing will have some ideas on what she wants to see. We are only planning to stay there for a week at the most.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:13:37 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
WHY are you all flying back into manila to renew your I_CARDS ?  you may renew them at your local IMMIGRATION offices even sat terminals I may be Dumb on this one I just renewed mine at Batangas city Immigration they asked for two passport IDs  and mailed it off via courier  to manila office got them back in two weeks even if your card runs out as long as you reapplied your ok.so tell me I'm I wrong ?
Yes Bill, that is true for Tourist's ACR-I cards. The 13A Perm residence I-Cards however, are a different matter. Those must be done in either Intramuros, Mandaue, or Iloilo.
God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Okay-- -please can some one advise me of a good clean not to exspensive hotel very close to moa mall of asia.? :D maybe one online where I can veiw the rooms .
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:15:42 PM by wildbill »

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:13 AM »
Okay-- -please can some one advise me of a good clean not to exspensive hotel very close to moa mall of asia.? :D maybe one online where I can veiw the rooms .

We have stayed at the Mabuhay Manor Hotel  several times, only a few minutes from Mall of Asia. Usually a nice buffet breakfast. Only a stroll to the local market and Baclaran Church - the National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help.

A cheaper option is the Kabayan Hotel, where we overnighted once prior to our return to UK.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »

www.asiahotels.com/Philippines
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS