Author Topic: Gift Ideas Please  (Read 5267 times)

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Gift Ideas Please
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
As some know by now I’m going to the Philippines in a couple weeks as sort of an orientation trip since I’ve never been there before. My sister describes it as a trip back to my “roots”.

The first week I’ll be in Manila visiting with relatives there, then about 3 weeks to the Ilocos Sur region where my Father was born.

The people out in the province are described to me as dirt poor farmers. And the cousin I’m going with said they like to take “gifts” to give to those that we’ll be visiting. I had thought about that idea but not knowing the people I had sort of leaned toward the idea of learning about their situation when I’m there and then sending the “gifts” when I got back home or on the next trip over. But I would be more than happy to bring with me more “general purpose” Items that aren’t directed to specific needs.

Some Ideas:

Frisbee for the kids, everyone loves a Frisbee :)

Ok Help me with some ideas.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Gift Ideas Please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
Hershey bars & kisses
Baseball hats & T-shirts with US sports logo's
Travel size US body sprays and colognes
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
Hitekcountry,

Gift giving by travellers is a time-honoured tradition all over the Philippines, and you will indeed be well-regarded if you do bring gifts. It's simply what the locals do, and, always have done.

The best pasalubong (that's the traditional name for such gift-giving) is a speciality of the place you have come from. The main point to be aware of is that the gifts do not have to be expensive, They are more to represent the places you have been for those 'still at home' .. like a souvenier of some different places for those who haven't been there yet, if that makes sense. The relatives you mention, who will be taking gifts, are simply following a long-held, kind-hearted, extended-family tradition.

And as such, anything bearing the place names of where you have come from would be very appropriate indeed, For eg, key-rings, tea towels, snack or health foods and especially printed T-shirts for the younger ones will be very sure to please. And they do not have to be new presents. Older though working phones, mp3 players and small portable radios etc are often very welcome, as would be some good light-weight footwear and/or various summer-weight items of clothing.

Alternatively, if baggage allowance and travel constraints could be a problem, you might also consider sending a Balikbayan Box wherein you can all put your pasalubong. Just give instructions on the outside that when it arrives no-one should open it until you arrive. And, parcels sent before-hand don't have to be large and expensive, but will show much cultural awareness, and certainly excite and please the younger family members especially awaiting your arrival in person, as you can imagine.

In my opinion anyway, pasalubong are a very kind Philippine family tradition, and need not be expensive. Well chosen, they clearly show you have been thinking kindly of others while you have been away from them.

All the best with your up-coming travels Hitekcountry .. with such a sensible and culturally-sensitive question as to what presents might be most appropriate, i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Cheers,
Stephen

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:41:49 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
Hershey bars & kisses
Baseball hats & T-shirts with US sports logo's
Travel size US body sprays and colognes
If you are not from the USA, the same things with logos from your country.

The most popular is chocolate. Just make sure you take care to keep it in a cool place. We arrived one time at the family house on the province with something like 5 kilogrammes of melted chocolate. You could also bring some cigarettes from home. Foreign cigarettes are very popular with the smokers. Basketball is very popular in the Philippines. You could bring a basketball or two in it's flat state and arrange to have them blown up in the Philippines.

Apart from that,
- the presents do not have to be expensive, just so long as every one gets one. Even the housemaid.
- You can buy as you go. Items such as Tanduay Rhum and locally made cigarettes will still be very popular. A few bottles of Tanduay 5 years, a few litres of coke, some ice, an empty jug and a single glass and you will have a party! These will usually all be available from the nearest Sari Sari store.
- If you want to be very popular for very little money, arrive at each household with a dozen or 2 doughnuts.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
good ideas but when I first meet her folks it was a case of spam mixed cans there is a place close to the airport sorry dont remember the name anyways it was a big ware house some one help me out on the name they really love spam here lol rite but true many uses on spam here rite Rufus grill it what else .... ;D

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
Good luck on meeting all your relatives.  Just be aware that relatives might bring their other relatives (but not necessarily your relatives).  :)

If you give presents to some relatives and not the other relatives, there will be hurt feelings. So how do you take care of this situation? You will soon discover that you have many, many distant relatives.

1)  Bring with you different types of chocolates and candies, the size that you give away on halloween.  When you arrive at your hotel, divide the chocolates and candies equally in ziplock bags.  These goodies should be handed out to the kids. After all, how often would kids be able to purchase and consume these type of goodies?

2)  I would hand out cash to the older relatives, maybe P500.00 or P1,000.00 each - so that would be like $12.50 - $25.00 on your part. Put the cash in the envelopes so that you are all ready to hand the cash out.  Although cigarettes and alcohol will be welcome by the male relatives, why support and encourage such habits?  :-\

3)  Also, you might also treat everyone to a hearty lunch. Go to the beach and have a picnic for everyone (with you paying for the food, of course) or just go to a restaurant.

4) T-shirts and baseball hats will be most welcome.

Again good luck and enjoy your stay.  Stay safe.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:11 AM »
Although cigarettes and alcohol will be welcome by the male relatives, why support and encourage such habits?  :-\

I will tell you why I do.

I don't smoke but regardless of what I tell them, they are going to smoke anyway. And when they have foreign cigarettes to smoke, smokers are very happy. In fact, giving them a packet of western cigarettes with warning signs and pictures of cancerous mouths may be beneficial in helping them to understand the dangers. There are no warnings on cigarette packets in the Philippines. 

Regardless of what I tell them. They are going to drink anyway. And it is traditional for Filipinos to sit around in a group and drink out of one glass. So, I am personally happy to take part in a Filipino tradition.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:23:39 PM »
most of my philapino friends still say SPAM is a great gift goes good with fried rice and eggs but elders say give them money.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:29 AM »
Our last two balikbayan boxes contained 38 assorted cans of Spam, corned beef and sardines, 12 jars of peanut butter (Jif, my favorite) 3 large cans of instant chocolate drink mix, 3 large containers of oatmeal, 12 tubes of toothpaste, 50 assorted bags of chocolate candy, 30 T-shirts (assorted sizes), 4 multi-packs of batteries, deodorant, 10 bottles of multi-vitamins, 20 bottles of cough medicine, 8 boxes of crayons, 10 6-packs of Bic retractable ink pens, a 6-foot Christmas tree, 6 boxes of cookies, 3 jars of mayonaise, 15 bottles of body spray, 5 large jars of instant coffee and 5 large containers of Coffeemate

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
Hi all,

I was reading through this thread, and one thing kept popping into my head, that most of what you all have listed as gifts can be gotten in most malls in Manila, and other towns.

The first time that I went to the Phils, I brought with me what I thought would be unique items, like chocolates etc, only to find them on the shelves in the stores.

So, the next time that I went I made sure to bring with me things that cannot be found there in the stores, or are very expensive.

What did I not bring? Chocolate, in a any way shape or form, there is just an abundance of it there, all of the name brands, American, Canadian, European, etc...

What did I bring? Mainly maple syrup products, such as pure maple syrup, yes, which can be bought there but it is very expensive, maple sugar, maple sugar cookies, etc (can you tell I am from Canada? ;) lol)

I also take along other things that were mentioned, things that are unique to one's place of residence, such as souvenir stuff, like spoons, key chains, tshirts, etc.

The last time I was there, most of my luggage was gifts, and when I returned home I packed it full of gifts for people here. So it all worked out for me going and coming.

I don't like giving cash as gifts, but if it is Christmas, I will help out my asawa and stuff some envelopes or donate some cash for the festivities, and always help out with the expenses for the food.

Thomas

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
I like your gift box GW thats what he should focus on.nice one

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »
Hi all,

I was reading through this thread, and one thing kept popping into my head, that most of what you all have listed as gifts can be gotten in most malls in Manila, and other towns.

The first time that I went to the Phils, I brought with me what I thought would be unique items, like chocolates etc, only to find them on the shelves in the stores.

The difference is that those name brand chocolates are sold at suggested retail which is expensive for most Filipinos.  You can buy a bag of Hershey's Kisses at SM, but it will be the equivalent of paying $3-5 per bag.  That puts it out of reach for many.

We got Kisses on sale for $0.76 per bag with Glo's 15% employee discount.  Three Musketeers Mini's 9oz bag for $1.01 and 1lb bags of Reese's P/B Eggs for $1.48 ea.  This made up the "50 pieces" of chocolate packed into the two balikbayan boxes mentioned before.  Our boxes go out packed tight with goodies! 

Oh!  I almost forgot pasta!  We include several bags of pasta in our boxes most of the time.  Elbow macaroni and spaghetti are their favorites. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline RinaldiMan

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
Hi guys, just to share with you because it's almost Halloween again, A lot of parties that will be held during this time. One of the most looked forward parties is held at Belleboo Haunted Mansion by The Bellevue on October 26, 2019; 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM. They have various rates PhP1,200 nett per person 15% discount for BSD members, 15% discount for BKC members, 20% discount for Senior citizen/PWD card holders.

But if you're looking for something different they are a lot more this link might just help you out: https://yoorekka.com/magazine/2019/10/10/halloween-party-2019-hotel-trick-or-treat-events-in-manila/.