Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Somewhere to live  (Read 2946 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Somewhere to live
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »
If you are looking for somewhere to live in the Philippines, this could be a starting point http://eslkevin.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/top-20-liveable-philippine-cities-of-2012/

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
Re: Somewhere to live
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
Interesting list Colin, and useful information for those who have yet to put down roots. Our house is situated between nos 12(Olongapo) and 14 (Angeles), though once you have bought/built a house you generally have to stay put there unless lucky enough to find a buyer. So best get it right first time unless just renting.

I notice you do rather well in the ratings  :)

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
If you are looking for somewhere to live in the Philippines, this could be a starting point http://eslkevin.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/top-20-liveable-philippine-cities-of-2012/
In general JMHO, if one lives in Luzon, Cebu and or Davao, one should be safe somewhat in all aspects of living in the Philippines, eventhough one may say, "Oh I'm a country boy and can manage up in the boonies or in the province"! That's their choice and more power to them! Some of you may ask why one would be safer in the 3 major regional areas I've mentioned? There are only 3 areas in the Philippines that has Regional Main BI Offices! Sure there are BI sub-port offices throughout the many regions of the Philippines, but they are limited in what they can or can not process! Also there are only Embassies and Consulates in NCR Luzon, Cebu and Davao: http://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-in/philippines#
What about major hospitals, schools, colleges, law enforcement and international airports? They don't have any in the provinces or up in the boonies since they're most likely to be miles away from civilization!
If one doesn't like where their Filipina spouse or girlfriend lives, then I would suggest one move to one of the major regional areas like NCR of Luzon (out skirts of Manila), Cebu or Davao for starters!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:34:36 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
Manila 5 and Makati 4 on the list.

They must use much different criteria to me. Manila would be last on any list I compiled.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »
Manila 5 and Makati 4 on the list.

They must use much different criteria to me. Manila would be last on any list I compiled.

I don't think it is any secret on here that quite a few people (or more than quite a few) do not want to even think about somewhere around or close to Manila.  You know what though?  Some people just don't have the choices that others have.  Back in early 90s the base I was at wound up on the BRAC list.  There were 3 other bases within a halfway decent reasonable commute to which I had to list my choices in order as to which I preferred to transfer to.  The first two I put were fine with me but the third one, I had no use for and there was no way I was going to deal with it.  Then, a few years later when the base I was at was finally shutting down, I got talked in to and agreed on the third one on my preferred list but I vowed I wasn't staying there and would eventually transfer to where I had to in order to get away with it.

Well, that did not happen.  Here I am.  15 years later although I have finally finished working.  And you know what?  I am going to live in Metro Manila.  It is more or less a choice made by having to deal with it.  For a few years anyway.  And then even after that, I will be probably be within a half to two hours of it.

My question is, where did they come up with the criteria for a few of those other places to place them so well on the list?  Well, then again, maybe they aren't so bad.  I don't know.  I haven't been to or put any effort in to them to find out for myself.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:52:12 AM »
Thank goodness Vigan wasn't on the list.  Don't want too many touristas or other undesirables moving in on my turf.   :o ;D 8) 8) 8)   
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline intocebu

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:30:04 AM »
i will take bohol i am not a city person so outside the city is where i would be..Zamboanga  :o i dont think so i would be a little worried to live in southern Mindanao ......Dave