Author Topic: Driver License  (Read 14647 times)

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
Re: Driver License
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »
It was always curious to me that as a condition of my Employment (federal government oversight of Interstate Commerce) I was subjected to random drug testing since the early 80s,all the while the state and local police wouldn't agree to it....citing privacy issues.Further, that those deciding I should be tested made sure that they were exempt.

I have to totally agree with GW,that the bulk of the fees go into someones pocket as kickbacks,as well as the fee that the drug testing facilities have to pay to set up shop.It's all a big racket.

As far as impaired driving goes,I've seen it all,and I would be inclined to suggest that tired drowsy drivers are more dangerous than anything else.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Someone answer me one question.  Why is it so much more terrible for there to be corruption in the Philippines than for there to be corruption in the U.S.?  You guys complaining about money being pocketed.  I don't like it either but it happens everywhere.  What are you going to do about it?  Well, if you are in the Philippines, you are not going to anything.  Nada.  Is that how you say it?  Actually, what can do about it anywhere you are?  All you ever hear about is if you are moving to the Philippines you better tighten up and follow their laws or you will wind up deported or in a ditch because all you are is an expat.  Well, if you don't like being only an expat, you probably better think about it again.

And you are right medic.  The U.S. Constitution is being slowly eroded away.  One of the main reasons I am leaving is because I am sick and tired of seeing and hearing of all the crap going on.  I don't expect too much different when I get to the Philippines.  It is all the same.  It is just a different country's problems.  Will I live long enough to get tired of crap going on in the Philippines?  I don't know.  I can tell you this though.  And I have said it before.  If I get tired of stuff there, I will just move on and as I also said before, moving back to the U.S. certainly is not at the time of my backup list.

Right before I logged on here I had just seen an email from (my phone company) with my current phone bill on for nothing but basic local service.  Every time you remove something, those freaking crooks come running it back up with some kind of crap to to nickel and dime you some more and add the couple or few bucks back on that you just managed to eliminate.  They sure don't run out of pockets to grease up.  Combination of (local phone company before merger and long distance phone company) says on the bill that I have been a customer since 1979.  Well, they got one more month before I tell that bunch to take a flying leap.  No, I won't put it that way although just like they won't be missing me, I won't be missing them.

Now, I can get some rest.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
Make sure your contract is up with the phone company if you have one. I have AT&T using a collection agency trying to come after me for $1500.00 bill that continues to grow month after month. Talk about crooked companies. I spoke with and emailed AT&T half a dozen times before moving here explaining I was moving out of the country and needed to cancel my service with them. They said I had six months remaining on my contract and would have to pay and early termination fee of $250.00 which I refused to pay since I was leaving the country and they could no longer provide the service. I had used their service for 10 years as a loyal customer. I paid my last month bill told them to close the account. As of this date they have suspended the account but refuse to close the account and continue to charge me the monthly late service fees. I put this all in writing to the collection agency and haven't heard back from them this month, hopefully someone wised up and figured this guy wasn't playing the game.

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »
For me,corruption is worse here than in the US.When it becomes so bad,that a job has to be purchased,then something is desperately wrong with the system.Everyone is aware of how it is here aren't they?Every job or promotion is for sale.No concern is given for someones merits,except as it applies to ability (or inability) to pay.Within the immediate family here,there has been 4 incidents like this just this year.If you want a job (or promotion) there is a fee involved.The fees don't go to help the poor either,I promise you that.I have yet to see a Politician or public servant here that didn't have their hand out for a payment,or that wouldn't accept a payment to get something done.

Yes.Corruption is bad in the US.Absolutely.But there are a few safety nets for the very poor.There are those who would end those safety net programs,and they may yet succeed,but here in this country it just seems to be more blatant.In the US the rich do get richer no doubt,and on the backs of working people...but here it is just so..I don't know..heartless??
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:53:56 PM by swandivr »

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »
I have no problem with corruption in the Philippines, after all, it is a third world country and they haven’t yet learned how to govern correctly. I do have a problem with corruption in the US. I don’t expect it here. It is just as bad here as anywhere else and this is supposed to be a first world country, the one teaching the rest of the world how it is supposed to be done. Some teacher. They are getting so good at corruption that other countries are coming here to get tips. 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:52 PM »
It looks like we all strayed off the main topic about drug testing and driver's renewal here in the Philippines to corrupted governments here and in the U.S.!
The piss test is here to stay, we don't have a say in the matter! It's their country, their rules and laws!
Anyway, just pee in the bottle and 2 hrs later you will have your new driver's license in hand and you can go home before lunch! 
As for the Philippines and U.S. corruption, I've only read, seen or heard it on the news and was really never affected by it directly, but we were all probably affected by corruption indirectly and felt it in a manner of via the ever so increasing cost of living today here in the Philippines and all of the bureaucratic BS red tape concerning immigration rules and their local laws! Again, their country, their rules and laws! So, we all just have to live with it and not let it bother us so much!
Just turn a blind's eye to it and go on with life as usual! You won't even notice it as long no one brings it up in a topic on here again or just by not sitting around dwelling on it with nothing better to do! Dah!  ??? :o ;)       
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:34:32 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 01:39:59 AM »
Art is right.  We've strayed way off topic.  Back to "Driver License" ---

(I can start a new section where we can discuss these other matters that affect us so much. ;) )

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
No need to start a new topic.We can't change the world anyway...especially this one.Lol

Going to get my license renewed today.I am so excited that I'm all in a dither.Ha-ha. We have a nephew that works at LTO.He always says to come ask for him and he will help me out.When I go there and ask for him,he comes out and points to the window."Right there Uncle" is what he says.

Yep.It's good to have an "in" at LTO.  :D

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »
Actually, I have no problem at all with the whole take a drug screen issue.  In fact, I wish that every person that applied for public assistance was forced to take it.  If you fail, you get no food stamps, state issued income, etc.  Wish all public assistance came with a demand for drug test and proof of citizenship, or legal right to be in said country. 

I don't understand the concern about taking a drug screen before getting a drivers license. I realize that driving is a granted privilege and not a right not only in this country, but any country I have been too. As long as the test is supposedly administered to everyone equally, yes I know some people pay their way out of doing it the legal way and circumvent the system. Urine test is quite easy to defeat if they are not random. With the only exception being for smoking pot all of the drugs they are testing for, metabolize and are out of the body in 72 hours. Pot on the other hand can take weeks or months if a heavy user.

I believe drug tests are an unwarranted intrusion on our privacy.Passing a drug test isn't the problem,it's the notion that a government can demand it that bothers me.We could argue that position that some take that driving isn't a right,but a granted privilege all night long,but at the end of the day,a drug test is an unwarranted intrusion and even worse,a suggestion that you must be a drug user if you take offense.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:36:10 PM by Gray Wolf »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
Drug test + 2000p+ facilitator = Drivers License
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
Lee, No facilitator needed to obtain DL. I did the whole process in less than an hour and half a few weeks back. Was quite painless, the eye candy was better than expected for being at LTO, everyone was accommodating and helpful. I went expecting the worst, and it turn out to be a cakewalk.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Dan thats what I did when I first got here... :)...dont know what I will do in Sept when its due for renewal, I have a friend here that has a hook up with LTO so maybe Ill just let him get it for me....really havent decided yet...Lee :)
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
I was told by an LTO friend of mine, that RP licenses can be renewed 90 days before your birth date the year your license will expire!
At the LTO in Alabang near ATC where I renewed my RP driver's license the last time, they called all of the senior citizens 60 and over to the front of the line no matter if their air conditioned waiting lounge is packed full of people! A foreigner with his Filipina wife was in front of me! I hope that holds true where I will go next to renew my license other than in Alabang, because the LTO nears us is just 10 minutes away from our house where as the LTO in Alabang is 25 minutes away without traffic!
I also just renewed my vehicle registration last week with an LTO friend of mine who's assigned at a Smog Inspection station, which is only less than a 1/4 mile from where we live and it only took 5 minutes since there were no other vehicles in front of me!
They are out of stickers until July for our area, but I don't know about other areas though! It's no big deal as long my official receipt is stamped with "NO STICKERS AVAILABLE"! 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:02:30 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
Well, maybe they need to start taking samples on the side of the road when you get pulled over.

Bud,

Just below, one of the sentences will answer your post.
Below that again, apparently drug tests will soon be a thing of the past.
I have copied and pasted this article from another site.

Graham

Republic Act 10586 or the “Anti-Drunk and Drugged Driving Act of 2013” also imposes harsher penalties in cases of drunk or drugged drivers getting involved in accidents, especially if there are casualties.
Refusal to comply with mandatory tests for field sobriety and drug tests will result in confiscation and automatic revocation of license, aside from “other penalties provided and/or other pertinent laws.”
The LTO was also tasked to hold “nationwide random terminal inspection and quick random drug tests for all public utility drivers of delivery vans, cargo trucks, container trucks, school and company buses, hotel transports, cars or vans for rent taxicabs.”
“Section 7 now mandates the mandatory alcohol and chemical testing of drivers involved in motor vehicular accidents, so that will now be a staple,”

No more drug tests
Thursday, June 6, 2013

THE drunk-driving law will remove the mandatory drug test for applicants of driver’s license, according to a former official of the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB).

Lawyer Clarence Paul Oaminal, former vice chairman of the DDB, said Section 19 of Republic Act (RA) 10586 repealed a provision in the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, which requires mandatory drug tests for applicants of driver's license.

RA 10586 or the Act Penalizing Persons Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol, Dangerous Drugs and Other Similar Substances carries a penalty of not less than P20,000 and not more than P500,000 depending on the impact of the violations. The law was signed by President Benigno Aquino III last week.

Oaminal said that instead of mandatory drug testing, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) and its deputized agents will implement an education campaign for license applicants.

Useless

Julito Flores, president of the Cebu South Mini Bus Operators Association, earlier described mandatory drug tests for driver’s license applicants as useless.

Flores said no applicant was found positive of drug use because drivers stay off illegal drugs before the test to avoid detection. Once they have their driver’s licenses, he said, they go back to using drugs.

Flores pointed out that LTO 7 Director Raul Aguilos reported that drivers who abuse drugs were discovered during random roadside tests.

Oaminal said the public should give the new law a chance.

The LTO, Department of Transportation and Communication, Department of Health and the PNP are tasked to jointly prepare the implementing rules and regulations of RA 10586 in the next three months.

Under RA 10586, a person with 0.05 percent alcohol level in the system can be apprehended for violating the law.

SunStar

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 11:15:29 PM »
Oh the wonders and benefits of being a senior citizen 60 and over! I just renewed my Philippines drivers license and I was in and out in less than an hour! It was during the week too and after lunch I decided to renew my license and there were at least 30 people ahead of me in the medical examiner's office to first get a medical certificate before starting the license renewal process just next door at LTO, which was also air conditioned and enough seats for at least 50 people! This was at Robinson Mall 3 rd floor, in Sta Rosa, Laguna NCR of Luzon, just 10 miles from where we live!
When I got there at 1 pm the line began to move, but surprisingly they ushered all the senior citizen ahead of the line! I paid my P100, they just took my BP and eye exam and out the office I went with my medical certificate 15 minutes later! No peeing in a bottle!
When I entered the LTO office, they then again ushered me to the head of the line before 30 other people and they called me immediately, paid my P417 fee, exact change only and they took my picture and I was out of there in less than 30 minutes with my new RP driver's license! I'm good to go for another 3 years before I have to do it all over again! :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:34:19 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!