Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Seoul  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Seoul
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
We have a few hour lay over in Seoul before we fly to Cebu. Anyone know of any good restrants or things to see or do close to the airport?

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Seoul
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
There are several good restaurants in Incheon not far from the airport, unfortunately I always had someone meeting me at the airport that worked in Seoul and knew his way around and the language. Used to take me to this seafood place on the equivalent of the boardwalk. All fish and critters kept alive in tanks until you selected what you wanted, reasonable prices and a taste to die for.  I lived in Seoul for six years, but that has been a few years back. The rail and subway system is straight forward and easy to navigate all stops are marked in English. What I found is asking a  college aged person directions is your best resource. They are more willing to help and try to speak or practice their English with you. Several times while living there I would travel alone to places I was not familiar with and would find the younger crowd were more than willing to help and even sometimes offer to take you to a nice restaurant.   

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:33:41 PM »
We have a few hour lay over in Seoul before we fly to Cebu. Anyone know of any good restaurants or things to see or do close to the airport?

I wasn't aware they would let you out of the airport at all during a stopover.    Wouldn't you have to leave and return through immigration? 
I didn't even ask when we stopped over in Seoul when we flew to Manila via Korean Air.  I just assumed we had to remain in a certain corridor.
I know they wouldn't let us leave a particular wing of the airport while flying Northwest and Delta and switching planes in Japan. 
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
Good point Jack, Seoul was my destination. I didn't even consider that one would have to clear immigrations.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
I think you are right GW.
Now I will be stuck in the airport drinking high priced beer.

Offline Tally J

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »
I also have been wanting to do some things during my Seoul layovers.  Found this site on the internet that may provide some insight:
http://www.layoverguide.com/2012/06/seoul-layover.html

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »
I also have been wanting to do some things during my Seoul layovers.  Found this site on the internet that may provide some insight:
http://www.layoverguide.com/2012/06/seoul-layover.html

Many people use Incheon Airport as a connection point but are flying on a different airline (and not code share) to their final destination.  These people can exit the airport.  As mentioned by others if you're on the same airline (or a code share) with a connection through Incheon you probably can't leave the security restricted area.

Offline Tally J

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
Many people use Incheon Airport as a connection point but are flying on a different airline (and not code share) to their final destination.  These people can exit the airport.  As mentioned by others if you're on the same airline (or a code share) with a connection through Incheon you probably can't leave the security restricted area.

So I am thinking that I may have to wait until I move to the PI later this year to return to Seoul for a visit.  Was hoping to see a little of it in a quick visit first.  I'll have to change my plans.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:22:26 PM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:26:15 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
My girlfriend has never seen snow in person and I want to change that. Maybe Iíll take her to Seoul around January during a forced leave.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »
First time my ex-wife saw snow she changed into her Bikini went out and started playing in it making snow angels etc. All the while I am snapping pictures to send to her family. She was kid in a candy store. 

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 06:02:56 AM »
First time my wife saw snow was in Vegas up in the mountains when I drove her and her Filipina friend up there and both of them played in the snow with only wind breakers on like children would and without feeling the cold but I was freezing just standing by the car with only a wind breaker on, so I had to get back in the car. Neither or them got tired or cold and eventually it was me who told them it was time to go and then when they got in the car, they asked me to turn the heater up. I guess excitement shuts off the feeling of cold since my wife is the one that is always cold and I usually am never cold. 

I too have been thinking about a visit to Seoul since we pass through there every year and have never stayed over. I do not think this year would be a good time to visit, I will wait until the conflict between the North and the South is over. I only hope nothing ever comes of all the Norths threats so there is still a Seoul to visit.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:06:31 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:05:28 AM »
Glo didn't put on a bikini and make snow angels, but she did help me keep the front walk clean one snowy winter

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 07:10:50 AM »
As mentioned by others if you're on the same airline (or a code share) with a connection through Incheon you probably can't leave the security restricted area.

That's the situation with us when we flew through Korea and Japan as well.  We weren't on a layover, just making a connecting flight with a long wait in between.

But hey!  Now I know there are things to do inside the airport!  I'll check out some online info and see where everything is inside besides just my departure gate.  ;)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »
Glo didn't put on a bikini and make snow angels, but she did help me keep the front walk clean one snowy winter

We are not buying his story though as he did not post pics like you did for proof of it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:21:02 AM by BudM »
Whatever floats your boat.